• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

iPod question

Michael Drury

TRIBE Member
OK - so I'm about to take a big step into the digital world and buy an iPod.

Question is: Can I record from Dj rig into my iPod?

If not - why?

Is this technology coming? If so do you think it will be an add on or a completely seperate unit?

Your help is vey much appreciated,

Michael "anolog will never die in my world" Drury

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

I_bRAD

TRIBE Member
The way I see it:

If you want to organize and find your stuff easily, then go with iPod.

If you want to record directly into it, or transfer files to and from it easily, go with the iRiver.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

KillaLadY

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by I_bRAD
or transfer files to and from it easily, go with the iRiver.
completely untrue... if you use anapod explorer instead of itunes, then it's easier than anything else.

Wiseman

TRIBE Member
I think all of us would benefit if you did not get an mp3 player that can record. Please keep your gay music to yourself. :p

Michael Drury

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Wiseman
I think all of us would benefit if you did not get an mp3 player that can record. Please keep your gay music to yourself. :p

This has all been very helpful so far thank you.

Unfortunately our friend Sage aka Wiseman has caught a case of the ghey. Thus his expressed opinion has been infected.

Cheers,
MD

I_bRAD

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by KillaLadY
completely untrue... if you use anapod explorer instead of itunes, then it's easier than anything else.

So you can create playlists and search for files on the player?

KiFe

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by KillaLadY

How much easyer than drag+drop can it get? Iriver wins hands down.

Unless you want someone to hold your hand the whole time, decide how your music should be organized and generally slow down workflow, go with apple.

Flashy_McFlash

Well-Known TRIBEr
Originally posted by Michael Drury
Can you watch video on an iRiver player or get one that has that option?

I think there is firmware for the H320/H340 that will allow you to play back DIVX files. There's also the iriver PMP series but I don't know about recording capabilities.

I_bRAD

TRIBE Member
So, can you do playlists or not? My iPod is getting old and it's a bit slow 'cause I dropped it once so I'm considering one of these to replace it.

How are files organized on the iriver?

kyfe

TRIBE Member
I bought the Iaudio X5 @ Staples for $250 just before x-mas, I think it's 350 now. So far so good it does everything I want it to and more

linky

kyfe

TRIBE Member
Hmmmmm - thanks for the linky Kyfe :D

Cheers

no worries, I had bought a Nano and then this became available os the Nano got returned.

I've been very happy with it and I'm glad i decided to go 20GB instead of 4. It's fully of options including camera hosting

culture

TRIBE Member
DONT buy an Ipod.

I bought one for me and one for my girl, both are and have almost always been fucked. At best they've been a mild pain in the ass.

Ive just sent mine back for the 3rd time, this time when they send a new one back, its going right on eBay and im buying an iRiver.

Oh yeah, and Itunes suck huge ass too.

technowelt

TRIBE Member
OK - so I'm about to take a big step into the digital world and buy an iPod.

Question is: Can I record from Dj rig into my iPod?

If not - why?

Is this technology coming? If so do you think it will be an add on or a completely seperate unit?

I already have an iPod and I am trying to find out the best way to record DJ sets (getting rid of my desktop at home)

With older (pre 4th gen) iPods, you can install linux and use that to do line-in recording with the dock connector.. however, users report that it is not always 100% reliable, depending on your iPod.

If you want to record with an iPod, your best bet is the Gemini iKey - it lets you record to any USB Mass Storage Device, and retails for about $200 CDN.

So, if your main focus is recording, it looks like iRiver is your best bet. I'm not sure if the new ones still support it, I wasn't able to find any info on their website.

Originally posted by acheron
what about a minidisc? don't they make those any more?
According to a sales rep (Batteries Plus, fwiw), Sony has stopped making MD players that can record.. What is the point of owning one now?