• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Iphone5

praktik

TRIBE Member
The fact you overlook the fact that Google is the #1 dominate player in mobile OS, search engine, online advertising, mapping and data mining because you see them as underdog and Google can do no wrong re-enforces the fact that Android users also have blinders on and see their product as more than just a product but a cultural representation.

Not saying anything is wrong with it. I just find the whole situation, pot calling the kettle black.
Exactly actually I mentioned their market share as an ironic point given their perception as being an underdog - or at least - corporate "rebels" of a type...

My post was actually somewhat in agreement, my main gist was that underlying self-conception guides ALL our purchase decisions, and Apple product buying just as much as Google product buying.

Feeding into this will be conceptions of the brand which might not fit with reality, but fit more with the identity of the brand, and the degree to which that identity is perceived by the consumer to fit with their own self-identity.

There is no purchase that isn't guided unconsciously by these factors.

One interesting example to highlight this is what happens to certain people who have bizarre brain injuries that basically destroy their ability to feel emotions. They basically turn into beings of pure Vulcan-like logic. What is interesting is that these people are PARALYZED by a walk through Shopper's Drug mart to get toothpaste: they can spend upwards of 10-20 minutes holding toothpaste boxes up and comparing ingredients, logically assessing the cost/weight unit and other factors because they no longer have the underlying emotions normal people have to guide their purchasing decisions. The rest of us walk in and get the crest/colgate or whatever we're used to cause we've been trained emotionally to associate with that brand (even if we don't consciously perceive these emotions, they're there!).

couldn't disagree more. Apple wants my money, and i'm fine with that because i appreciate their products.

Google wants my DATA - meaning browsing history, search history, location history, etc...etc... in order to leverage that history to inundate me with ads for a million other products i do not necessarily even want.

there is no free lunch. both companies are taking something from us. i find Apple's approach more straight forward.
Ok great, your brand is Apple. Good for you! I feel more brand affinity for Google, thats what consumerism is all about!

I am fine with google mining my data, it is after all, tuning my browsing experience to my interests. I have to wade through less shit. My biggest complaint w/ google mining my data is they are behind the schedule a bit: they noticed I was into purchasing this home phone set I picked up earlier this year and for weeks after I made the purchase, i was seeing banner ads here on tribe for the product I already had in my home and was no longer interested in purchasing... So their mining isn't foolproof but I appreciate how it tunes my browsing to my particular history of interests..;)

oddmyth

TRIBE Member
I am fine with google mining my data, it is after all, tuning my browsing experience to my interests. I have to wade through less shit. My biggest complaint w/ google mining my data is they are behind the schedule a bit: they noticed I was into purchasing this home phone set I picked up earlier this year and for weeks after I made the purchase, i was seeing banner ads here on tribe for the product I already had in my home and was no longer interested in purchasing... So their mining isn't foolproof but I appreciate how it tunes my browsing to my particular history of interests..;)
This is why I generally consider the concept of mining data from my search history to be a failure. All the ads I see are for things I've already taken care of. Selling ad space on the premise of ads targeted towards my browsing history is brilliantly stupid.

I would probably click through more if the ads were for products similar or in the same general area of interest that I was looking at, however the ads have become so specific that they are useless.

It's my #1 pet peeve on the internet today.

praktik

TRIBE Member
Ya I imagine they are dropping some analytics shit and working on predictive modelling but I think anything looking towards past history will be guaranteed to toss up some shit you already are way past - even with some bomb-ass number crunching and predictive modelling!

tribe magazine legacy photo exhibit

oddmyth

TRIBE Member
I don't see it ever working without a metric fuck ton of data on a person.
While we've slowly given our personal data away, we aren't giving it away fast enough to make it worth a damn.

Bass-Invader

TRIBE Member
do other cell phone cameras not purple fringe when the lens is hit by a powerful spot light source? That shit is normally hard to stop without expensive lens coatings or a lens-hood to block the light path... (the comparison shots might not be like-for-like depending on the angle of incidence between the sun and the lens)

Last edited:

praktik

TRIBE Member
I guess its just jarring to the customer experience when people are upgrading from iphone 4's, taking similar pictures and seeing purple in one and not the other - even if this can be explained away by some technical jargon, customers will not appreciate that and ask why the hell things are different w/ the new phone vs the old one.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
IPhone 5 Wi-Fi glitch leads to big data usage
CBC News

Some users of the new iPhone 5 are reporting that they are unexpectedly chewing through huge amounts of data on their prepaid contracts when they are connected to Wi-Fi networks – something that should not result in any additional data charges.

So far, most of the reports involve Verizon Wireless users in the U.S. But there are a few reports on tech blogs and media sites that users on other networks have been affected as well.

"In six days, I've used over 6 gigs of data. I've been on Wi-Fi over 80 per cent of the time. This is crazy!" wrote one user, who reported his data surge last week on an Apple discussion board. "There is definitely a problem here. I used less than a gig monthly when I was on the iPhone 4," he wrote.

The technology site CNET says it received an email from a Canadian user who was complaining of a similar problem.

Representatives with Bell Mobility, Rogers Communications and Telus all said they have heard of no problems among their users. "The data bleed issues reported in the U.S. do not apply to our OS version and customers should not be experiencing the same issues here," according to emailed comments from Rogers. Apple has not yet responded to a request for comment.

Apple released a software fix on the weekend to address the bug for Verizon Wireless customers. Apple hasn't formally commented on the extent of the problem, except to acknowledge in a brief note on its support site that the patch was designed to resolve an issue in which the "iPhone 5 may use Verizon cellular data while the phone is connected to a Wi-Fi network."

Verizon reassured its customers that they wouldn't be charged for any unwarranted data overages.

Some users are speculating that when the phones encounter difficulties connecting with Wi-Fi networks, the phones switch over to the fast new LTE networks, racking up unexpected cell data charges. Others wonder if the phones are incorrectly counting free Wi-Fi data as billable cellular data.

Some say it appears to be a problem with the new iOS 6 operating system, reporting that older iPhone models that have been upgraded with the new operating system are now chewing through data.

The data glitch isn't the only headache Apple has faced with its popular new iPhone 5s. Apple CEO Tim Cook apologized last week for the release of Apple's new Maps application, which comes with the new phones. The app received a barrage of criticism for its shortcomings.

Apple sold more than five million iPhone 5s during their first weekend of wide release last month.

Blysspluss

TRIBE Member
wow.. they're running this shit now like a true corporation.. slaped together and infighting creates an abomination of a device.

maps and this. just wow.

This looks like a hardware issue?

I told the lady who's on 4s not to upgrade to IOS6 under any circumstance. it's a mess.
Sure is. Makes one wonder if this is the beginning of the Apple downslide in popularity.

One would hope this might be a thing that makes folks go hmmmm...

JamesM

TRIBE Member
ah I just found this user comment somewhere.. lol

If I want to send a picture to someone using my iPhone, I must do the following:

1. Be sure to take the photo indoors and not near any light sources.
2. Due to poor signal while holding the phone in your hand, mms is not suggested.
3. Let's mail a printed copy for safety sake.
4. Open Apple Maps app to find nearest Walmart to print out photo.
5. Drive to walmart.
6. Ask the person in the boat if they know where the nearest Walmart is.
7. Ask the person in the boat if they have a Lumia phone with Nokia Maps.
8. Drive to Walmart using directions obtained from person in lake..
9. Connect iPhone to photo printer.
10. Ask Walmart employee where you can by adapter to connect to printer.
11. Ask if they will accept layaway for $40 adapter.
12. Drive back to lake.
13. Ask Lumia owner to take a night shot for you and send the photo using mms.
14. Accept praise from family about how nice the photo was and talk them into buying one of your Revolutionary iPhones.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Karim

TRIBE Member
IPhone 5 Wi-Fi glitch leads to big data usage
CBC News
When I first installed iOS6, it asked me if I would like to use a mix of Cellular and WiFi and have it automatically pick the fastest source. Most users blindly hit yes and forget they ever hit it. It was supposed to be a feature to enhance the user experience for those who don't give a shit about data limits.

Edit: I actually saw the prompt when installing the iOS6 developer beta. Can't speak for the official update.

Last edited:

Balzz

TRIBE Member
Speaking of innovation, bb failbook 2.1 is out!!! Support for a portrait view in email, calendars and contacts!!!!!