• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Iphone5

Wiseman

TRIBE Member
Wow the Iphone 5 is really light. Like it feels like a toy next to the 4s. And it is smaller than I thought it would be. Glad I got the S3 as I like big screens.

I think it needs to weigh more than it does. next to the 4s it has a cheap feeling to it.

tribe magazine legacy photo exhibit

ravinjunkie

TRIBE Member
But, surely, Google and Apple could make a deal to get around that pesky license? Given the special relationship between the two companies? Apparently not.
Uh yeah, that what happens when you sue others over a "patent".

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

praktik

TRIBE Member
Funny that Android users don't see themselves in the same light.
I disagree. All these smartphone purchase decisions are guided by some underlying self-conception and the degree to which that brand fits with it (or not).

I am hair-splitting a bit, I take the point that Apple devotees are particularly ardent/devoted to their product, and there's a host of interesting looks into the drivers behind Apple fandom over the past years - but Android has its own brand identity, shaped in large part by Google's "independent" and "open platform" and general brand qualities...

It is for this reason that Android products speak to my particular self-identity in a stronger way than Apple or Microsoft products - even though Google is a giant too, it seems somewhat more the "underdog" than stuff coming from Microsoft or Apple, and I think that "underdog appeal" (somewhat ironic given their 1st place in smartphone market share) has underwritten a large part of their success. Google - big as it is - strikes the consuming public as a little less monolithic and "corporate" than MS or Apple.

KickIT

TRIBE Member
I disagree. All these smartphone purchase decisions are guided by some underlying self-conception and the degree to which that brand fits with it (or not).

I am hair-splitting a bit, I take the point that Apple devotees are particularly ardent/devoted to their product, and there's a host of interesting looks into the drivers behind Apple fandom over the past years - but Android has its own brand identity, shaped in large part by Google's "independent" and "open platform" and general brand qualities...

It is for this reason that Android products speak to my particular self-identity in a stronger way than Apple or Microsoft products - even though Google is a giant too, it seems somewhat more the "underdog" than stuff coming from Microsoft or Apple, and I think that "underdog appeal" (somewhat ironic given their 1st place in smartphone market share) has underwritten a large part of their success. Google - big as it is - strikes the consuming public as a little less monolithic and "corporate" than MS or Apple.
The fact you overlook the fact that Google is the #1 dominate player in mobile OS, search engine, online advertising, mapping and data mining because you see them as underdog and Google can do no wrong re-enforces the fact that Android users also have blinders on and see their product as more than just a product but a cultural representation.

Not saying anything is wrong with it. I just find the whole situation, pot calling the kettle black.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

oddmyth

TRIBE Member
I disagree.
What happens when you find out that "open" is actually "closed" and that "independent" is actually "derivative"?

*poke* *poke* ;)

I'm just glad that work supplies me with a phone and that I never have to choose for myself.

DJ Vuvu Zela

TRIBE Member
Google - big as it is - strikes the consuming public as a little less monolithic and "corporate" than MS or Apple.
couldn't disagree more. Apple wants my money, and i'm fine with that because i appreciate their products.

Google wants my DATA - meaning browsing history, search history, location history, etc...etc... in order to leverage that history to inundate me with ads for a million other products i do not necessarily even want.

there is no free lunch. both companies are taking something from us. i find Apple's approach more straight forward.

KickIT

TRIBE Member
Oh and for the record, I'm not getting the iphone5. I'll probably get the 5S. If history has shown anything, is that the S release typically has better staying power.

Dialog

TRIBE Member
The fact you overlook the fact that Google is the #1 dominate player in mobile OS, search engine, online advertising, mapping and data mining because you see them as underdog and Google can do no wrong re-enforces the fact that Android users also have blinders on and see their product as more than just a product but a cultural representation.

Not saying anything is wrong with it. I just find the whole situation, pot calling the kettle black.
Beautiful.