• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Iphone5

Karim

TRIBE Member
A few days before the announcement, I was able to unload my factory unlocked 16gb 4s for $550 so that I can get an unlocked 5 upon launch. As much as this phone has 'improved', I'm still a little disappointed with this model. There are no features of the 5 (besides the elongated screen) that will not be available on the 4S.

The new dock connector (and cash grab expensive adapters) I read do not support iPod out, thus rendering my car iPod integration obsolete.

Besides the sapphire lens, it would have been nice if they added native burst mode, and various other camera features. I would have really liked optical image stabilization similar to that of the Lumia 920.

I've been using iOS6 on the 4S that I just sold for months, and although it is a major OS improvement, the maps are a serious let down. The turn by turn gps is great, but business locating, lack of street view, shitty (for now) traffic information, and more make for a crappy maps experience. Siri is frustrating in that it rarely gets what you're trying to say. You can't say "Find me a pizza pizza" without it returning every italian restaurant around you. This can be frustrating if you are driving as it has to iterate through a large list of establishments before you can select the one you might actually want.

I travel frequently and require an unlocked phone. I often use a sim card from carriers that do not offer the iphone, and have had to cut down regular sims to mini sims to use my iphone. Now with the micro sim, I'm not sure if regular or mini sims can be made into micro sims thus limiting my carrier options abroad.

NFC is not simply for mobile payments. I would have loved to have NFC if only to help passbook work better. From the demo of passbook during the ios6 presentation, they showed the GPS tracking your location (battery drain) to see if you are at an establishment of which you have a card for. It'll then load the card on your lock screen for quick scanning. This seems impractical to me. If they had a simple nfc tag at checkouts that you tapped, if only to load up the right passbook card, there would be no need for constant geo tracking and battery drain.

Early reviews of the new headphones still say they sound like shit and fall out easily.

I'm a big fan of the iOS ecosystem and the iPhone in general. I already pre-ordered my iPhone and should be getting in on the first batch of shipments. I doubt I will change the cycle of selling the old and buying the latest iphone every year, I was just really hoping for something more than a simple upgrade. I've come to expect 'evolutionary' with the S designated models, and revolutionary with the new numbered models. This version seems like they simply upgraded what they obviously needed to improve on without bringing anything new to the table....

Balzz

TRIBE Member
I've never used iPod out with my car anyway. Been streaming via BT when I want to listen to music off my iPhone or any streaming service. I don't have idrive control this way but if I want full integration, the connected app is a digital integration so I suspect it will still work. But since the app doesn't run in the background, ipod out is pretty useless to me anyway.

Karim

TRIBE Member
Apple NOT selling unlocked phones at Apple Store Retail Locations

Damn. I'm glad I pre-ordered when I did. I made the mistake of waiting in line last year (cause I missed the pre-order window) and it was full of immigrants paying cash to ship their newly purchased phones overseas. There was a limit of 2 phones per person and I was solicited on more than one occasion by other people in line looking to fill the extra spot on my limit allowance. It was a shit show and honestly, one of the shittiest experiences I've had to endure. This should definitely shorten the lines....

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Balzz

TRIBE Member
The new dock connector (and cash grab expensive adapters) I read do not support iPod out, thus rendering my car iPod integration obsolete.
Hang on, do you seriously use ipod out? That's one of the most useless features ever.

Karim

TRIBE Member
Hang on, do you seriously use ipod out? That's one of the most useless features ever.
If I'm not mistaken, iPod out is what allows your head unit take on control of the iDevice allowing you to change tracks, select playlists, etc. using the native controls of the vehicle/steering wheel controls.

However, lately, I've been reading that it might only be video out that is no longer supported via the adapter and a separate lightning to HDMI adapter is now required.

Balzz

TRIBE Member
If I'm not mistaken, iPod out is what allows your head unit take on control of the iDevice allowing you to change tracks, select playlists, etc. using the native controls of the vehicle/steering wheel controls.

You're mistaken. iPod out is a useless feature on BMWs and minis that push the iPod interface to idrive. Phone needs to sit in the cradle with the connected app running. I've used it once, ever. My old e92 used a Y cable with digital control but analog output so I suspect that wouldn't work with lightning - probably would've needed to connect the audio jack separately. My f30 doesn't need a y cable so I'm sure I'll be fine with lightning and idrive/steering wheel control.

RumRogerz

TRIBE Member
You're mistaken. iPod out is a useless feature on BMWs and minis that push the iPod interface to idrive. Phone needs to sit in the cradle with the connected app running. I've used it once, ever. My old e92 used a Y cable with digital control but analog output so I suspect that wouldn't work with lightning - probably would've needed to connect the audio jack separately. My f30 doesn't need a y cable so I'm sure I'll be fine with lightning and idrive/steering wheel control.
Oh man, you're driving an F30? Those cars are beautiful. BMW did a great job on the design and engine overhauls. How does that baby handle?

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Balzz

TRIBE Member
Fun car indeed. I was a little tentative about going from E92 335 to F30 335 but it's actually more fun to drive. Strangely, it's lighter than the previous so it's more tossable despite being bigger. Hmmmmm I guess it's like going from the 4S to the 5. Everything is just a bit better in the F30 but there isn't really anything wrong with the E92 to make it feel like a mind blowing difference. Hmmm...I guess comparing it to an S4 is kinda like comparing the iPhone 5 to a GS3 too. Spec sheet definitely gives the S4 the advantage, but the driving experience is entirely different.

Wiseman

TRIBE Member
Yeah Ian that argument actually doesn't hold up in North America as we didn't get the quad core S III because it doesn't work with NA LTE chips. Pretty sure this benchmarking test was done with the quad core version.

That being said I firmly believe we are at a point where the differences in speed and power are negilible from a human experience perspective. The only way to tell which device is faster is by either holding them next each other or having software do speed tests. Given the same task on different devices performed say an hour apart from each other I doubt anyone could tell actual speed differences other than completely subjectively.

Capabilities and usability of the OS are the real measures. And based on that the answer should always be extremely subjective.

oddmyth

TRIBE Member
I should point out that it does not beat the SIII if the SIII is running Jellybean!

S3 > i5 if {
S3.os.getVersion = 4.1;
S3.proc.meminfo = 2GB; # US/China/Korea models are the only ones with 2GB RAM
};

However Geekbench as mentioned elsewhere is a software dependent test, not a true measure of hardware. Thus as a quantifier of how much better one device is over another, it only really remains true if the devices are running the exact same version of the operating system.

Oh snap I didn't even realize the S3 for NA isn't quad core either. So strange.

I do agree with Wiseman, these metrics are for the uber nerds.

Wiseman

TRIBE Member
huh? I would said the same thing if it was a Benchmark test that favoured Android. And pretty sure oddmyth is an Iphone fan.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Karim

TRIBE Member
You're right. I found this article and it appears that the iPod integration in my car will be ok...

sianspherica

TRIBE Member
I've ordered one via Rogers via their reservation system, I'm like #3900 in place for a 32gb

so....probably mid October I'll get one.

ps. if you want one but your early hardware upgrade fee is too high, talk to Retentions, they will cut it in half if not more.