• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

iPhone / iPad Producing

dig this

TRIBE Member
Just picked up my iPhone 4 last night... I was excited to buy Propellerhead's Rebirth for the iPhone but it has some pretty shitty reviews.

Anyone have any recommendations for cool apps to doodle with during hour-long subway/bus commutes? Something that can export to Logic/Garageband/Reason would be best.

Thanks,
d

Deus

TRIBE Member
I'm picking up an iPad today. The first application I will buy is the Korg Electribe simulator and maybe the MS-20 emulator. No sync or export though so it'll be fairly useless as a production tool, but fun to play with.

for the iPhone, I haven't found anything that is useful. The screen is too small for things like rebirth. The slack ReBirth app is getting is because it's something like 6 bucks when you can DL it for PC from the rebirth museum for free.

Deus

TRIBE Member
Looks like recent updates to the iElectribe give it export and MIDI sync functionality!

DoubleDown

TRIBE Member
the Korg Electribe is fun to screw around with if you just treat is as a groove box.. .like a reactor app or something of the like.

Deus

TRIBE Member
I was playing with it last night until 3am. Fairly limited, but you can get some interesting sounds out of it. I don't like that you can't program pitch change sequences other than recording the movement of the knob manually.

I wonder what the sequencer on the iMS20 is like.

Deus

TRIBE Member
So I ended up buying the MS20 for the iPad and it is so worth the 15 dollars. It's got 5 or 6 parts and a great step sequencer on which you can step sequence pitch, volume, gate, and 3 additional assignable parameters. It sounds very good on headphones although I haven't hooked it up to my audio setup yet to see what it would sound like on the monitors. You can bounce patterns/songs to audio and insert them into your DAW for further processing. It can even receive MIDI, I just need to figure out how to send MIDI messages through USB ports on the PC. Is that even possible? It's worth every penny. If this was a VST or AU it would probably cost $200. Now I just need to read up on how to program the the beast.

The iElectribe was pretty much a waste of money but i got it on sale for 10 bucks. Fun to screw around with but would never use it in actual production. The synthesis on it is very limited and has only one effects unit. You can't sequence pitch changes either.

I haven't seen any other apps that I would find useful in a studio other than the iMS20.

dig this

TRIBE Member
I downloaded AKAI Synthstation & Technobox for $1.99 each... Pretty neat so far but haven't really played around too much yet. Saw something called the Nanostudio as well for $15 which had great reviews.

dig this

TRIBE Member
I bought the Nanostudio about a month ago and have been quite impressed. It's quite intuitive for making use of the small screen. Just a little disappointed that it costs $25 then you need to pay another $5 if you want to upgrade from 6 to 16 tracks, but whatever, still a great little toy.

I'm sure some of you have come across macmusic.org before... well their forum site has release a new site that has a strong focus on iOS music:

One of the most exiting features of this new site is that it offers, the first and only true listing of iOS, iPhone / iPad / Ipod Touch audio applications that could never be found using iTunes enigmatic search engine. Ever tried searching for an analog synth on iTunes ? It usually finds hundreds of Justin Bieber or Lady Gaga's songs and videos, right ? Well simply try the same search on 440Software and you might just find 563 real "analog synths" for your iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch !!!
440Software : Audio Software for iPhone, iPad, Mac & PC

Sal De Ban

TRIBE Member
the idea of using an ipad sounds cool. what is the sound quality like? what is the audio-out situation, just a 1/8" jack?

loopdokter

TRIBE Promoter
the idea of using an ipad sounds cool. what is the sound quality like? what is the audio-out situation, just a 1/8" jack?
Yep.

I dunno. It's a fun toy, but to me it's nothing more than that - a toy. You can do some powerful things with it as you can with any decent toy though.

Sal De Ban

TRIBE Member
toy indeed. there seems to be a more-than-just-niche trend towards poorer sound quality, even if it costs a bit more to achieve. smaller screen? no thanks. shittier sound card? no thanks. production toy for the cottage / train rides? sure, hook it up!

loopdokter

TRIBE Promoter
toy indeed. there seems to be a more-than-just-niche trend towards poorer sound quality, even if it costs a bit more to achieve. smaller screen? no thanks. shittier sound card? no thanks. production toy for the cottage / train rides? sure, hook it up!
I've made a track in NanoStudio, but you can get it for free on PC or a MAC. I haven't tried that version yet, but I can easily tell you which version I'd prefer.

Deus

TRIBE Member
The sound quality is actually really good. Most programs have the export audio feature so you are not limited to the quality of the internal soundcard's DAC quality.

Producing on the iPad is more about the interface. On the computer you can only tweak one parameter at a time with the mouse unless you map them to a midi controller. The iPad touch interface gives some very unique ways of manipulating the interface.

iPad applications have a long way to go before they can be totally integrated into a studio setup, but I like the direction things are heading.

mrtunes

TRIBE Member
nanostudio is amazing. i am waiting to try fl mobile soon. beatmaker 2 is ok, i will really just keep it around as a chopping lab.

mrtunes

TRIBE Member
oh a surprisingly good app is "djay" for iphone and ipad. the only problem is the mono mode for pre-cueing adds a bit of distortion on my iphone. so it's unusable for podcasting mixes.

Chiclet

TRIBE Promoter
Love Nanostudio. The sequencer is surprisingly easy to use and it also comes with reverb, compressor, etc... units. I can't believe the options and level of depth you can get into with this thing!

I'm running it on an old iPod Touch and am having no problems so far.