• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

iPhone 5S has fingerprint scanner.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
There must be a huge pile of discarded older iphone models somewhere...

glych t.anomaly

TRIBE Member
Fingerprint scan records thumb or finger print.

sends to repository owned by apple.

repository is hacked, and finger/thumbprints are distributed.

iPhone owners now are being accused of crimes everywhere against apple inc.

iOimplosions !

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

kyfe

TRIBE Member
1pm today, should be interesting.

I'm due for an update so I can't wait to see what comes down the pipes

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

kyfe

TRIBE Member
Fingerprint readers on devices is so 2005.
Aside from Lenovo laptops and door locks I cannot think of another consumer device that uses biometrics, while not cutting edge it does provide great security and may curb theft

lobo

TRIBE Member
There was another 4G phone that came out two years ago (can't recall the name) that had a fingerprint scanner so this is nothing new. A Motorola phone also had it and the company eventually gave up on it because of customer complaints.

Personally, if you plan on locking your phone with a fingerprint, good luck to those parents that always pass off their phone to their kid(s) to keep them busy. You'll *always* have to do the unlocking for them now.

Having that scanner is not a good enough reason to switch back to an iPhone for me. They gotta come out with something that's really out there and innovative.

Lobo

kyfe

TRIBE Member
Having that scanner is not a good enough reason to switch back to an iPhone for me. They gotta come out with something that's really out there and innovative.

Lobo
just curious but what more innovations can be done to a phone?
its now a computer, calculator, email service, web browser, daytimer etc.
I hear this comment a lot (not just about Apple either) but I often wonder what people would consider innovative these days?

SneakyPete

TRIBE Member
Aside from Lenovo laptops and door locks I cannot think of another consumer device that uses biometrics, while not cutting edge it does provide great security and may curb theft
You have the option of adding a fingerprint lock to most laptops from any of the big name companies today.

kuba

TRIBE Member
That's a solid question - what MORE can be done on phones? Not much more, unless its something completely revolutionary like Google Glass (which, for the record, I probably would never ever wear).

I want things to work better and not things to be innovated. I want 2-3 day without charge batteries, 10/10 typing on a screen with amazing predictive text or auto correct that doesn't suck, amazing voice recognition where "FIND CONGEE QUEEN" isn't too hard for google or siri, and so forth. So, like the BASF commercial, make things BETTER.

glych t.anomaly

TRIBE Member
That's a solid question - what MORE can be done on phones? Not much more, unless its something completely revolutionary like Google Glass (which, for the record, I probably would never ever wear).

I want things to work better and not things to be innovated. I want 2-3 day without charge batteries, 10/10 typing on a screen with amazing predictive text or auto correct that doesn't suck, amazing voice recognition where "FIND CONGEE QUEEN" isn't too hard for google or siri, and so forth. So, like the BASF commercial, make things BETTER.
agreed, 100%, although i would love high quality video streaming over 3g/4g networks.

Google hangouts is close but not quite there yet.

lobo

TRIBE Member
Kuba listed some valid things but yes I think we're getting to a point where there's not much more that can be introduced that would be considered revolutionary. I would go for trying to get phones with battery life that can last a full 24 hour day (minimum), voice recognition like Star Trek's which Google is actually trying to work on, maybe some customization without jailbreaking for iPhones, larger capacity (yes I know the cloud is out there but 64GB should be standard on most phones these days), enhancements to NFC. For tablets, I know that there is technology out there that mimics tactile feedback so that you can "feel" grass on a picture. Enhance that with brail and you might have something there.

Lobo

kuba

TRIBE Member
BASF made some awesome floppy disks.
their commercial tagline is how they don't make things, they make them better, why I used BASF as an example

glych: supposedly touch IDs are not stored on apple's servers

truth is I never use passwords to protectmy phone but I'm in the minority and it's a foolish move.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

oddmyth

TRIBE Member
There was another 4G phone that came out two years ago (can't recall the name) that had a fingerprint scanner so this is nothing new. A Motorola phone also had it and the company eventually gave up on it because of customer complaints.
The Atrix, it used the swipe your finger method.

Personally, if you plan on locking your phone with a fingerprint, good luck to those parents that always pass off their phone to their kid(s) to keep them busy. You'll *always* have to do the unlocking for them now.
Nope, Touch ID can remember multiple fingerprints. Moreover, you can still use a password.