• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

ipad. what's the point?

What will the new Apple tablet be called?

• ipad

Votes: 9 47.4%
  • itablet

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • islate

Votes: 6 31.6%
  • ibook

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • isomething else

Votes: 4 21.1%

• Total voters

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
I don't know, but to me these still seem like expensive toys. All the people I know who rushed out to buy them rarely use them today and never use them daily. For me, a tablet would have none of the speed or stability to do business, communicate, or work, the things which my small notebook does more than adequately.

I would have to carry around a tablet AND a notebook, just in case I had to use photoshop or Phase One, or to sftp into the servers to move around big backup files.

I think the only reason for me to get one is to test out how the board looks on it from time to time, but that would be a ridiculous waste of money IMO. Rather I just ask one of my many friends whose iPads are in the drawers or closets collecting dust.

rswbrixton

TRIBE Member
you can borrow mine ! use my ipad once , maybe twice a month . macbook pro and and air get all the attention and usage .

oddmyth

TRIBE Member
I don't know, but to me these still seem like expensive toys. All the people I know who rushed out to buy them rarely use them today and never use them daily. For me, a tablet would have none of the speed or stability to do business, communicate, or work, the things which my small notebook does more than adequately.

I would have to carry around a tablet AND a notebook, just in case I had to use photoshop or Phase One, or to sftp into the servers to move around big backup files.

I think the only reason for me to get one is to test out how the board looks on it from time to time, but that would be a ridiculous waste of money IMO. Rather I just ask one of my many friends whose iPads are in the drawers or closets collecting dust.
I use mine every morning when I wake up and every night before I go to bed - reading docs, watching youtube, answering emails, checking up on systems @ work, jotting down rhythms, getting recipes for future dinners etc. etc.

Yes I could do all of those things on my main machine, but I can't do them in bed with my wife while she's watching TV.

This year we even used an iPad2 to check people in at an event using Eventbrite.

The device, like any computing device, is what you make of it.

Blue Meanies

TRIBE Member
I don't know, but to me these still seem like expensive toys.
My wife and I use ours every single day, multiple times a day. It beats carrying a laptop around the house... and fits in her purse. Win Win!

I can access all my files from my imac and also stream my media to the ipad from my central 6tb harddrive anywhere on my network. It's amazing really.

Photoshop express is really good... not as good as cs5 or 6 but I have my imac for that.

If someone bought one and it's collecting dust, that kinda speaks volumes for the type of person they are. Like Oddmyth said, "it's what you make of it."

SJN

TRIBE Member
I don't know how parents did long car rides with their kids without ipads to keep them busy.

We have 2 ipads in our house -- they are used constantly

acheron

TRIBE Member
tell me about it. when I bought my new truck one of the options was an in-car DVD system and they wanted something like $1500 or more, and that's for one screen. other cars have similar systems with seatback screens, for the kids, but they're all priced like that. You can get two or three ipads for that money!

rawd

TRIBE Member
The iPad dominates in the tablet market, and according to Bernstein Research analyst Toni Sacconaghi, the tablet raked in US$32 billion in sales last year. As noted by Fortune 2.0, the iPad is so successful that it would rank as the 11th largest tech company in the US, if Apple spun off the iPad into its own company. The iPad as a company would even make it into the Fortune 500, climbing to the 98th spot above No. 107 McDonalds and No. 136 Nike.

iPad would be America's 11th largest tech company | TUAW - The Unofficial Apple Weblog

mad..

oddmyth

TRIBE Member
My brother in law bought me a Apogee Guitar adapter for mac/ios. Last night I was recording riffs into Garage band, gonna see if I can't record them into iMaschine later tonight.

In other news I found an adjustable height stool at Home Outfitters, way easier than trying to play Rocksmith sitting on the couch or ottoman. It's also pretty badass for DJ'ing too.

Win/win/win.

Blysspluss

TRIBE Member

I know lots of orgs looking at the windows pro tablets to replace laptops. Most of em medical. Means carrying a tablet which could prove much more useful to a doctor/that type than carrying around a laptop all day.

As for ipads, I don't know, period. To be frank, Apple products are last on my list(if at all) of things to look at/purchase.

That said, my mother uses her ipad daily. She loves the facetime for keeping touch with family and stuff, and all sorts of other lil things she enjoys.

silver1

TRIBE Member
I know lots of orgs looking at the windows pro tablets to replace laptops. Most of em medical. Means carrying a tablet which could prove much more useful to a doctor/that type than carrying around a laptop all day.
My friend started a company that connects surgeons with their outpatients via mobile apps (patients with smart phones, surgeons with tablets) to go through a lot of the routine post op consults remotely as opposed to having to schedule and come in for an appointment for every status check, and also get quicker response time directly from the surgeon if an issue comes up.

They finished their pilot study at the Women's College hospital (he's partnered with the Chief of Surgery there) and it showed rediculous savings to the hospital.

They're now making deals with medical centers all across North America and he's gonna be stupid rich (well more rich as he sold his last company a few years ago for a pretty penny).

I_bRAD

TRIBE Member
I don't know how parents did long car rides with their kids without ipads to keep them busy.

We have 2 ipads in our house -- they are used constantly
We had these neat things called books. and if that didn't work my dad was always sure to buy cars that had windows. And I'm not talking about the microsoft version.

acheron

TRIBE Member
Apple Event happening now...
Our New iPad Liveblog Starts Right Now

So far they've talked about OSX Mavericks which still doesn't have a release date but it will be a FREE update, which is very cool.

Newer, faster MacBooks with longer battery life, thunderbolt, $200 cheaper (13" model) essentially all the goodies in the latest macbook air. 2.4 GHz Core i5, 5GB RAM, 128GB SSD

acheron

TRIBE Member
15" offers upgraded graphics options
The 15-inch model also gets a $200 price break, from $2200 to $2000 for quad-core i7, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, ships today

Mac Pro
Up to 30MB L3 cache, 40 lanes of PCI Express gen 3, Intel Xeon E5 with 4, 6, 8, or 12 core versions. dual workstation GPUs standard, AMD FirePro graphics, up to 7 teraflops of compint power. can support up to 12gb graphics, 3x 4K displays... 4SB 3 ports, 6 thunderbolt 2 ports, two gigabit Ethernet, HDMI, 802.11ac wireless

acheron

TRIBE Member
170 million iPads sold 81% of tablet market

new:

iPad Air
43% thinner
1 pound
A7 chipset
8x faster 72x faster graphics
better wifi
5mp camera
dual mics
1080p video
new facetime camera
16gb $500
ships nov. 1

acheron

TRIBE Member
new mini:

retina display 2048x1536
A7 chipset
10 hr battery
better wifi
16gb $400
old ipad mini drops to $300
available late nov.

kuba

TRIBE Member
After not getting a pad since #1 I'm going to get Ipad Air. It's time for an upgrade. I used to think I'll buy the odds 1, 3, 5 etc but now 1, 5, then 10 is OK.