1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

ipad. what's the point?

Discussion in 'Technology' started by alexd, Jan 19, 2010.

?

What will the new Apple tablet be called?

1. ipad

9 vote(s)
    47.4%
  2. itablet

1 vote(s)
    5.3%
  3. islate

6 vote(s)
    31.6%
  4. ibook

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. isomething else

4 vote(s)
    21.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. videotronic

videotronic TRIBE Member

just got mine today. unfuckingbelievable display. like..crazy. i do find the colours are a little over saturated, but the clarity is amazing.

my favourite part so far has been how dim the screen can be made. its easily maybe half as dim as my old iPad 1 on its dimmest setting, which is great because both the 1 and 2 were eyeball scorchers in the dark

2. Balzz

Balzz TRIBE Member

3. Vise

Vise TRIBE Member

I finally got around to ordering an iPad 3 (or iPad 2S) last night... my wife has been taxing my iPad 2 (Angry Birds Space) so I've giving it to her and upgrading. Shipped already this morning too. Any updates on the jailbreak status?

4. acheron

acheron TRIBE Member

lol @ $600 Angry Birds console but who am I to judge I'm in the same boat

5. Vise

Vise TRIBE Member

#firstworldproblems

:D

6. vinder

vinder TRIBE Member

i've all but replaced my laptop and black notebook at work and home with this thing. amazing.

*note: i did not have a tablet previously

7. Vise

Vise TRIBE Member

Correction, upon further review of my shipping email only the Smart Cover for my wife's new iPad 2 (aka my old iPad) has shipped. Damn you Apple.

8. lobo

lobo TRIBE Member

What app are you using to take notes at work?

Lobo

9. Balzz

Balzz TRIBE Member

They're actually available in store.

10. Balzz

Balzz TRIBE Member

I'm an Evernote fan.

11. Vise

Vise TRIBE Member

Yeah I know but I get an employee discount on Apple gear through my work and its only available via an EPP web store. Plus of couirse its much easier to get it shipped to my office vs going to an actual Apple store. :)

12. Balzz

Balzz TRIBE Member

Nope, EPP is honored in store. Just bring your work ID.

13. Dialog

Dialog TRIBE Member

AnandTech - The iPad 2,4 Review: 32nm Brings Better Battery Life - Anandtech is reporting the current $399 iPad 2 has the newer, die-shrunk A5 processor and other refinements that give it between 15-30% more battery life, depending on usage.

[​IMG]

The two longer results are the ASUS Transformer with it's keybaord dock. I don't have the exact specs but the weight of that would be at least 2x an iPad 2, probably closer to 3.

14. Dialog

Dialog TRIBE Member

Anandtech: The iPad 2,4 Review: 32nm Brings Better Battery Life

The current $399 (or is that $419 in Canada?) iPad2 has a newer die-shrunk A5 processor and other refinements that give it a significantly longer battery life, averaging 15% but more in certain situations.

[​IMG]

The longer results are the ASUS Transformer w/ the battery-enhanced dock, not the Transformer alone.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 4, 2012
  15. Dialog

Dialog TRIBE Member

Whoopsie. Can I get a delete on the 1st?

16. ndrwrld

ndrwrld TRIBE Member

love how the graph tells us higher is better.

17. R4V4G3D_SKU11S

R4V4G3D_SKU11S TRIBE Member

I just got an Ipad for work.

So far, the only annoying things are that there is no Swype, and Windows won't recognize it to charge via USB. I guess I'll have to use Swiftkey and the wall charger.

18. oddmyth

oddmyth TRIBE Member

I don't even think Swiftkey is on IOS.

Apple has been pretty strict on modifying core elements of IOS.

As for charging, charging over USB is very slow anyways. The wall charger is much faster.

Not sure if iTunes is the barrier to entry for charging, however I know my iPad will charge on OSX, albeit very slowly.

19. R4V4G3D_SKU11S

Yep, no swiftkey either. Is there a gold standard app for predictive text?

20. oddmyth

oddmyth TRIBE Member

Not really, Apple doesn't allow third parties to modify core parts of the OS like the keyboard.

21. R4V4G3D_SKU11S

Well sucks to them.

I figured out how to use my android phone as a hotspot for the ipad, which I feel is pretty neat.

22. Boss Hog

Boss Hog TRIBE Member

yeah.

23. ndrwrld

ndrwrld TRIBE Member

just got our 4 year old daughter an ipad. with rubberized cover.
    i still only give it about 3 months...

24. Blue Meanies

Blue Meanies TRIBE Member

Is the usb port is underpowered or an old machine then it wont be able to charge an ipad
    (states this on apple.com and in the ipad user guide "iPad may not charge when connected to the USB port on an older Mac, a PC, a keyboard, or to
    a USB hub").

However the wall charger is much faster than usb anyways.

25. Balzz

Balzz TRIBE Member