• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

ipad. what's the point?

What will the new Apple tablet be called?

• ipad

Votes: 9 47.4%
  • itablet

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • islate

Votes: 6 31.6%
  • ibook

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • isomething else

Votes: 4 21.1%

• Total voters

videotronic

TRIBE Member
just got mine today. unfuckingbelievable display. like..crazy. i do find the colours are a little over saturated, but the clarity is amazing.

my favourite part so far has been how dim the screen can be made. its easily maybe half as dim as my old iPad 1 on its dimmest setting, which is great because both the 1 and 2 were eyeball scorchers in the dark

Vise

TRIBE Member
I finally got around to ordering an iPad 3 (or iPad 2S) last night... my wife has been taxing my iPad 2 (Angry Birds Space) so I've giving it to her and upgrading. Shipped already this morning too. Any updates on the jailbreak status?

vinder

TRIBE Member
i've all but replaced my laptop and black notebook at work and home with this thing. amazing.

*note: i did not have a tablet previously

Vise

TRIBE Member
They're actually available in store.
Yeah I know but I get an employee discount on Apple gear through my work and its only available via an EPP web store. Plus of couirse its much easier to get it shipped to my office vs going to an actual Apple store. :)

Balzz

TRIBE Member
Yeah I know but I get an employee discount on Apple gear through my work and its only available via an EPP web store. Plus of couirse its much easier to get it shipped to my office vs going to an actual Apple store. :)
Nope, EPP is honored in store. Just bring your work ID.

Dialog

TRIBE Member
Anandtech: The iPad 2,4 Review: 32nm Brings Better Battery Life

The current $399 (or is that $419 in Canada?) iPad2 has a newer die-shrunk A5 processor and other refinements that give it a significantly longer battery life, averaging 15% but more in certain situations.

The longer results are the ASUS Transformer w/ the battery-enhanced dock, not the Transformer alone.

Last edited:

R4V4G3D_SKU11S

TRIBE Member
I just got an Ipad for work.

So far, the only annoying things are that there is no Swype, and Windows won't recognize it to charge via USB. I guess I'll have to use Swiftkey and the wall charger.

oddmyth

TRIBE Member
I don't even think Swiftkey is on IOS.

Apple has been pretty strict on modifying core elements of IOS.

As for charging, charging over USB is very slow anyways. The wall charger is much faster.

Not sure if iTunes is the barrier to entry for charging, however I know my iPad will charge on OSX, albeit very slowly.

ndrwrld

TRIBE Member
just got our 4 year old daughter an ipad. with rubberized cover.
i still only give it about 3 months...

Blue Meanies

TRIBE Member
I just got an Ipad for work.

So far, the only annoying things are that there is no Swype, and Windows won't recognize it to charge via USB. I guess I'll have to use Swiftkey and the wall charger.
Is the usb port is underpowered or an old machine then it wont be able to charge an ipad
(states this on apple.com and in the ipad user guide "iPad may not charge when connected to the USB port on an older Mac, a PC, a keyboard, or to
a USB hub").

However the wall charger is much faster than usb anyways.