1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

iOS4 released

Discussion in 'Technology' started by KickIT, Jun 21, 2010.

1. KickIT

KickIT TRIBE Member

Anyone else try it out? I like the new consolidated mail and folder organization. "Multi-tasking" is neat but not really multitasking, still glad state is saved.

2. dj Red Turtle

dj Red Turtle TRIBE Promoter

Is it buggy? Wondering if I should wait.

3. lobo

lobo TRIBE Member

I installed it on my iPod Touch last night. Seems a bit more slick but haven't played around with it too much. You're right that the multi-tasking is not really multi-tasking. I like the consolidated email boxes even though I still tend to keep my Gmail separate from my Exchange work mail. Gonna try the folders option for all my games.

BTW, Skype doesn't work with the new iOS so if you use it wait for an update on that app.

Lobo

4. KickIT

KickIT TRIBE Member

I like how the wallpaper now stays in the background is full screen. Love how you can now have multiple Exchange mailboxes configured. Email now groups by conversation but it's not quite the same as Gmail yet. Folders are cool but gonna take me some time to wrap my head around how to re-organize my apps.

5. dstarr

dstarr TRIBE Member

I wouldn't go as far as to say it is buggy but I had a few issues... some apps were closing down on me and I had this weird thing where it was flickering to make a call when I was setting my alarm last night.

It wasn't entirely clear how to take advantage of the new folders feature but I figured it out by accident... drag one icon onto another and it will bring up the folder feature and you can name it, etc. I liked that it was able to guess what I wanted to call my folders.

The camera seems to be improved. The shutter is faster and so it seems to take pictures without being so blurry.

Has anyone noticed an improvement in battery life?

6. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator TRIBE Member

Visit http://oo.apple.com/ on your iPhone's Safari browser to opt out of their new targeted advertising program.

7. Karim

Karim TRIBE Member

Updated, Jailbroke, and Unlocked iOS4 today. wooo

8. Balzz

Balzz TRIBE Member

Just saw that baseband for iphone 4 has been unlocked...will be in the US for the next couple of weeks. The hunt begins. :D

9. Aerius Zension

Aerius Zension TRIBE Member

Why? You're still going to get advertising, correct?

10. SmoothOperator

Truthfully, I have no idea. Was just sharing the link which was shared with me!

11. Hi i'm God

Hi i'm God TRIBE Member

Is iOS4 still hella slow on 3G phones? I haven't installed it yet because of a report that says speed is hugely reduced.

12. SmoothOperator

I've read a bunch of those reviews yet still, my 3G is pretty much exactly the same in terms of speed.

13. romstah

romstah TRIBE Member

[YOUTUBE]dySFHyKR_58[/YOUTUBE]

this is what im seeing on my 3g, i tried restoring from backup and i also tried setting the phone as new. its still slow, i think im going to downgrade to 3.1.3.

14. Hi i'm God

Hi i'm God TRIBE Member

Thanks. I guess I'll continue to wait impatiently but I guess nobody cares about us 3G suckers.

Will unlocking it affect the speed?

15. The Peej

The Peej TRIBE Member

Fairly disappointed with iOS4 overall

• No iMovie on the 3Gs (iPhone 4 only, citing a lack of RAM in the 3Gs as the reasoning.)
    • No more assigning custom function to the double click home. (I used to use this to launch my camera. I find the new "multi task" micro menu stifling and counter-intuitive. Just give me my double tap camera back)
    • Overall reduced reliability of my compass. (may be due to my replacement phone, I got the new unit 2 days before the upgrade. Impossible to know which it is, the phone or the OS. But the point is, the compass is less reliable.)
    • Flashy, try hard, buggy interface. It was cleaner and simpler before.
    • Unified mailboxes? Really? I'm just finding there are more steps now. No better.
    • The camera PRETENDS to be faster, (quicker shutter animation) but the Digital Zoom control gets in the way of my trying to focus, and changing between still & video cam feels slower.
    • Multi-tasking doesn't ACTUALLY work. It's WORSE for things like, getting a call in the middle of composing a tweet etc.
    • Double tapping home while in other applications used to ALWAYS open my iPod controls. It was simple, easy, and it always worked. Now, sometimes it takes me into the multi-task interface.

I'm hoping that this is just a matter of me re-programing my behaviour so that I can become one with my machine again. But so far, iOS4 is just getting in my way.

16. Hi i'm God

Hi i'm God TRIBE Member

oh that's even worse.

17. Aerius Zension

How can you downgrade? Even iTunes won't allow you to downgrade on your computer unless you reformat it.

edit, never mind. Answered my own question.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2010
  18. veteze

veteze TRIBE Promoter

i'm finding it to be very buggy on both mine and katherine's 3GS's.

- internet connection drops out at least once or twice a day. requires a reboot to get back.
    - text messages and calls are coming up as phone numbers even though the contacts exist in my contact lits. i have to click "add to existing contact" to re-assign the number to the contact. the number even shows right in the contact when i re-add them. after i've added them they come up normally.
    - phone gets SUPER hot now - never did before
    - battery dead in about 1 to 1.5 days now instead of 2 - 3 days under regular usage.

overall the changes aren't anything i find i need or want or feel i could live without.

so i'm probably going to revert back.

19. Hi i'm God

Hi i'm God TRIBE Member

I just want the new background options right now not even a whole lot.

20. Aerius Zension

Forget this, I'm jailbreaking it instead. Sticking with the current OS.

21. StarvinMarvin

StarvinMarvin TRIBE Member

i'm having no problems at all right now, works just about the same as it did before for me and Peej you can bring up the ipod controls in the multi task bar by scrolling all the way to the left...

22. Hi i'm God

Hi i'm God TRIBE Member

Pretty sure this is the way i'm going as well.

23. lobo

lobo TRIBE Member

How do you revert back to the previous version?

Lobo

24. romstah

romstah TRIBE Member

25. romstah

romstah TRIBE Member

succesfully downgraded to 3.1.3, used spirit for jailbreaking and ultrasn0w for unlocking.