• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Interview Questions - Tech People

kennyboy

TRIBE Member
So I have an interview tomorrow and I think I may be asked a few basic internet tech questions. Any and all help is appreciated as I'm not a tech person, not that you have to be for the job, but it may come up.

Let's assume you have hi-speed internet at home with Shaw, Rogers, etc.

1) If you are unable to send/receive email from your home computer, what might be the problem.

2) If you are unable to access the internet from your home computer, what might be the problem.

The job is very process development and implementation, but I think there could be a couple of basic trouble shooting questions.

If anyone can provide some basic trouble shooting steps I would really appreciate it.

Cheers,

kenny

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

Eclectic

TRIBE Member
Many different things can affect those two things.

Most common issues are.

Email:
-Antivirus changed mail server settings to 127.0.0.1
-Firewall
-Customer network
-Incorrect server name
-Outage

Connection:
-Firewall *Zone Alarm especially*
-Network
-Ethernet card
-Modem problem
-Area outage

First things first, check for a network. If found, get them to directly connect to the modem and reboot. If they connect.....you know what's causing the problem.

I get at 10-15 people a day that have network issues.

Damn you London Drugs and Future Shop!

:D

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Dr. Grinch

TRIBE Member
1) - Incorrect mail server settings (server name, password, username, etc)
- Mail software not configured correctly (may have chosen IMAP or something stupid instead of POP/SMTP)
- Incorrect email address? Is it bouncing back?
- Outage / No network connection
- Firewall / Proxy / Gateway is stopping SMTP traffic or POP3

2) - Can you ping a known working IP addy? (4.2.2.2 is always live) If yes, DNS issues, if no, link is possibly down
- Verify cabling, Power to modem, lights on NIC
- Run an Ipconfig and see if you have a public IP (assumes no router)
- Check router / firewall settings. Is it getting a Public IP on the WAN connection?

Alternately, set entire thing on fire and walk away.

Originally posted by kennyboy
So I have an interview tomorrow and I think I may be asked a few basic internet tech questions. Any and all help is appreciated as I'm not a tech person, not that you have to be for the job, but it may come up.

1) If you are unable to send/receive email from your home computer, what might be the problem.

2) If you are unable to access the internet from your home computer, what might be the problem.

The job is very process development and implementation, but I think there could be a couple of basic trouble shooting questions.

If anyone can provide some basic trouble shooting steps I would really appreciate it.

Cheers,

kenny

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

~atp~

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by kennyboy

This depends on the error response you receive back from the server (if any). If you get no response, then the first, obvious question is: is your account pointing to the correct host? If the answer is yes, but you still can't connect, then check the port number (usually 25 for sending mail). Next, you should check to see if you can even reach the host by pinging it. If you can reach the host, but still can't connect, then the problem is with the server (almost certainly).

For receiving email, you could go through a similar process.

If, on the other hand, you get a different response back such as "relaying denied" or "incorrect username/password" then you should take the obvious corrective measures. Relaying denials occur when you attempt to send an email from somewhere to somewhere for which neither the source or the destination are within the domain of the server.

Do a sanity check. Try pinging www.google.com. If that doesn't work, try pinging an IP address such as 216.239.39.99. If that works, then your problem is definitely with hostname resolution. This is usually an ISP problem, caused when the DNS server is down. It might also be the case that packets destined for remote port 53 are being dropped (due to a firewall).

If neither of those tests work, then do a final ping check by trying to ping the gateway of your network. Generally, this will be x.y.z.1 where x.y.z are the first three numbers of your IP address. If none of those three things work, then you know the problem is local, not remote.

If you've been assigned an IP by DHCP, ensure that you indeed have such an IP address. There are a number of other things you can do from here, but I'm more of a Linux guy so I can't rattle off the steps in a windows env. ;)

Cheers,

kenny

Just think about each step on the path. Try starting at the highest level (so like, can you open a web page), then start widdling your way right down to, for example, is your routing table set up correctly.

I'm sure there are more structured/better ways of thinking about this shit, everybody's different when it comes to approaching the debug process.