• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Interpersonal relations or "going the second mile"

Boss Hog

TRIBE Member
Dear people, please stand by for a general announcement:

I've had to place several phone calls in the past couple of days and can't help but notice the difference in attitude from people on the other end.

Strictly speaking in terms of work, when someone calls you and needs some help or information or whatever, don't treat it like "it's not your job" or like the person is asking you for some really inconvenient favour. The proper etiquette is to LISTEN to the person, then offer them the help they need without making it out like they just asked you to run a marathon for them. If you don't know what to do, ASK someone else and do what you can to help the person.

There's nothing more unprofessional than calling someone in a business, or school, or anything of a professional nature and getting some attitude-cradling slack ass on the other phone who is clearly too lazy to help you with a simple question. HELP the person, be nice, don't be a cog in the system - and your day will go faster, you'll be happier, and you'll probably live longer. You're supposed to be representing, and it's not really my problem that you're angry that you haven't had your break yet, or that you're only making $7 an hour to pay off your student loan. While I empathize, it has nothing to do with our short conversation.

Thanks.

quantumize

TRIBE Member
now here is an interesting thread...thanks boss hog.

i agre totally there are far too many people VERY unhappy with their jobs and seem to bleed that loathing all over to everyone they interact with. You are stuck with your lot every morning so either cut your wrists or smile and make the best of it, either way dont be a jerk professionally. It will only cause a cycle of unsucessfullness, you will be in turn feeding your own underachieving.

Crazlegs

TRIBE Member
I find crap like that irritating too. I worked service jobs and customer service positions for what seemed like forever and no matter what my mood was I would always try my best to assist people in every way that I could (even if I didn't feel like it.) So it really pisses me off when people fail to be helpful when they are in a service environment ..... if you find it that difficult to be of assistance to people then I'd say it's about time to find another job!

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

~atp~

TRIBE Member
I believe that selfish or apathetic behaviour when interacting with others is only getting worse with time. Our society increasingly depends on systems of control to manage growing demand (dense populations of individuals) for scarce resources. That management translates into elaborate systems that replace direct human contact. We become more concerned with processes and regulations established by the bank, grocery store, government, car dealership, real estate, and so on. Less and less are we required to care about the people who help sustain those systems...they're just...workers. They're a face to a system of control, they have no real power. Thus we are encouraged to not care, to serve our own needs and rely less on the people that would otherwise constitute a community.

Subsonic Chronic

TRIBE Member
Whatever... I work in the kind of job where I already have a full day's worth of work when I arrive here at 8am. Any phone call or email just means more work for me and less time to do the what's already assigned, so yes it can piss me off, and yes I'm sometimes a little hostile. But if I'm not, and if I gladly accept every little request that comes my way, then surprise surprise - I don't get shit done.

So I've gotta be a bit of an asshole if I ever expect to get my job done, and I know I'm not the only one in this position.

JEMZ

TRIBE Member
Boss Hog said:
just checking.

I work as a Project Manager and need, in fact live or die by interpersonal relationships. Never be an asshole IMHO, we all have the same goal and eventually allwill need a favour from someone. The bridge can be burned in one call which can end up being quite combersome.

Boss Hog

TRIBE Member
Subsonic Chronic said:
So I've gotta be a bit of an asshole if I ever expect to get my job done, and I know I'm not the only one in this position.

You catch more flies with honey than vinegar!

Caz

TRIBE Member
I work in the audio industry and fortunately it is a very laid back scene, it is rare to find attitude amongst company relations. I do however have to deal with artist management/touring companies regularily and they are a bitter bunch most of the time. Stop the stress people, it's just a job!

Agent Smith

TRIBE Member
Subsonic Chronic said:
Whatever... I work in the kind of job where I already have a full day's worth of work when I arrive here at 8am. Any phone call or email just means more work for me and less time to do the what's already assigned, so yes it can piss me off, and yes I'm sometimes a little hostile. But if I'm not, and if I gladly accept every little request that comes my way, then surprise surprise - I don't get shit done.

Are you in IT support?

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

lucky1

TRIBE Member
I get a lot of people calling my work and expected me to run around backwards and answer their questions / help them when they have called the wrong office.. then they give me attitude when I direct them to the website becasue I dont' have the time to do all there work for them... if you called the wrong place you called the wrong place... not my problem.

My responses:

no i don't have such and such number... the attorney general is a very big Ministry, you need to call correct branch ....no i will not give out personal info from out internal system (classified) .. I dont' have time to run around and find that number for you.. there are three other calls on hold...

I agree With subsonic... I have enough work to do that I simply don't have time / effort to devote 1/2 or an hour to something not related to my job...

Soulster

TRIBE Member
caz said:
Stop the stress people, it's just a job!
I disagree. IMO, a job is almost never "just a job". You spend most of your waking life at your job and you interact with people all day (well, i do anyway). Having good interpersonal skills is paramount to being successful at a job and being "part of the team". Not only that, but how you deal with it is a reflection of who you are and how you are in non-work-related situations too. Problems always come up, unexpected work comes up, and being able to deal with those things without going loco on the people around you is important. I'm still trying to master that, myself.

Also, where jobs in the service industry are concerned, bad manners and an inability to serve customers professionally is a pet peeve of mine. I was trained by an excellent manager in retail so it really gets my goat when i encounter a rude or unhelpful salesperson. It's usually not their fault, but a result of lack of training by the part of the management or simply bad hiring decisions. Being good at retail is mostly to do with personality, and people who lack the "retail personality" shouldn't be doing it in the first place.

lucky1

TRIBE Member
Boss Hog said:
You can redirect them in a friendly manner, can't you?

I have a pleasant manner.. its the person on the other line that turns into a bitch / asshole when you wont' go out of your way to help them. I direct them to the website, but people don't want to have to search for the correctinfo themselves.. they want you to do it for them...

Soulster

TRIBE Member
lucky1 said:
My responses:

no i don't have such and such number... the attorney general is a very big Ministry, you need to call correct branch ....no i will not give out personal info from out internal system (classified) .. I dont' have time to run around and find that number for you.. there are three other calls on hold...
VERSUS

I'd love to help you but unfortunately I don't have that information...what you'll need to do is find the correct branch and call them up. i'm sure they'll be able to help you out... unfortunately i'm not authorized to give out that information. why don't i transfer you to the switchboard. you might also try our website...it's a great resource for that sort of thing......thanks for your call and good luck! i'm sorry i'm not able to help you out.

obviously i'm exxagerating the amount of enthusiasm and politeness, but telling people that you don't have time to run around and find a number for them is silly. no wonder they get upset. they're already frustrated!

~atp~

TRIBE Member
Increasingly, fewer people have the liberty to be accomodating and encourage social relations outside the explicit mandates imposed by our employers.

quantumize

TRIBE Member
on the flip side i really enjoy the overall lower level of people that do their jobs well/efficiently.

The more retards I work with the bigger smile I will have. I have been promoted at work, and for the simple reason that I am competent. I love this overall level of apathy. It makes progression in my office that much easier

you dont have to be good, just better than the competition

Boss Hog

TRIBE Member
Soulster said:
VERSUS

I'd love to help you but unfortunately I don't have that information...what you'll need to do is find the correct branch and call them up. i'm sure they'll be able to help you out... unfortunately i'm not authorized to give out that information. why don't i transfer you to the switchboard. you might also try our website...it's a great resource for that sort of thing......thanks for your call and good luck! i'm sorry i'm not able to help you out.

obviously i'm exxagerating the amount of enthusiasm and politeness, but telling people that you don't have time to run around and find a number for them is silly. no wonder they get upset. they're already frustrated!

I've had people talk to me like that when I realize that what I'm asking is a completely stupid question. And although they know it and I know it, I've always appreciated their manner and patience.

It leaves a lasting impression on a company.

Caz

TRIBE Member
Soulster said:
I disagree. IMO, a job is almost never "just a job". You spend most of your waking life at your job and you interact with people all day (well, i do anyway). Having good interpersonal skills is paramount to being successful at a job and being "part of the team". Not only that, but how you deal with it is a reflection of who you are and how you are in non-work-related situations too. Problems always come up, unexpected work comes up, and being able to deal with those things without going loco on the people around you is important. I'm still trying to master that, myself.

Also, where jobs in the service industry are concerned, bad manners and an inability to serve customers professionally is a pet peeve of mine. I was trained by an excellent manager in retail so it really gets my goat when i encounter a rude or unhelpful salesperson. It's usually not their fault, but a result of lack of training by the part of the management or simply bad hiring decisions. Being good at retail is mostly to do with personality, and people who lack the "retail personality" shouldn't be doing it in the first place.
well said

soulbrother 10

TRIBE Member
I'm a lawyer in a storefront-type operation in a retail setting.

Which means in any given day I deal with clients who have appointments, clients who drop in without notice and expect to see me, people coming in off the street who want to talk to a lawyer (often wanting free legal advice). Then there are the phone calls from clients, prospective clients, relatives of clients, people making inquiries, other lawyers, real estate agents, court personnel, other members of the firm and so on.

It can be overwhelming at times juggling all the demands and staying polite, especially with people who are rude and demanding. Although sorely tempted on many occasions I have so far resisted the impulse to tell someone to fuck off.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories