1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Internet Question

Discussion in 'Technology' started by mushroom, Apr 7, 2010.

1. mushroom

mushroom TRIBE Member

So for the first time today I had a pop-up display on my screen saying that I had used 75% of my monthly usuage for the month already.

I'm on the Ultra-Lite service package with Rogers that gives me 2GB of monthly usage (which is disgustingly low considering they just dropped that significantly in the past couple of months).

Anyway, my question to you is are the better options out there? I've checked with Bell and they're pretty close in price for the next tier of service. We don't use the Internet that much but with this new reduction in what is offered, it appears our current package is too shite.

We get royally screwed in this country when it comes to the Internet and cell phones!:mad:
  2. glych t.anomaly

glych t.anomaly TRIBE Member

i just went with Teksavvy.com

acanac.com is also cheaply priced, and if you can get primus in your area they are cheap as well.

i dont know how much the ultralite service with rogers is, or how you can get by on 2GB a month in bandwidth, but both of the above service run off your existing phone line, or a dry loop, and then DSL service.

i am paying after taxes 41$/month for 5mbps download/80kbps upload speeds, and 200GB/month download cap on bandwidth.

acanac is even cheaper, if you pay for a year up front.

regardless, get away from Rogers/Bell for internet.

3. The Watcher

The Watcher TRIBE Member

never give your money to bell/rogers, they are the reason the prices and service suck so bad in the first place.

All's I need is internet access... not bundles of shyte with caveats and spying on me
  4. mushroom

mushroom TRIBE Member

Cool, thanks! Yeah I hate them both. They dropped the monthly usage allowance down from 60GB to 2GB, which is fucking bat shit insane. I read a report about how Canadians are behind most of the world in the speed/quality of our internet and then these guys go and charge us more for it. Brutal!
  5. oeretS

oeretS TRIBE Member

I'm dying to escape Rogers internet right now, fuck you and your $2 per gig over the monthly limit.

However, I am without a home phone line. Am I stuck using Bell or Rogers? Is there a no-line alternative that is reasonably priced and doesn't cap bandwidth to death?

please advise, thanks:)
  6. Wiseman

Wiseman TRIBE Member

You don't need a home line to get DSL. You can have what's called a "Dry Loop".
  7. Sal De Ban

Sal De Ban TRIBE Member

better a dry loop than a dry hoop
  8. oeretS

oeretS TRIBE Member

Interesting. Who installs this dry loop? Must I do it myself before calling say, TechSavvy? Is there an additional monthly fee for this?
  9. Wiseman

Wiseman TRIBE Member

scroll down the page to "Residential Dry Loop DSL Services" and then it mentions some fees further down the page.
  10. oeretS

oeretS TRIBE Member

word, just got off the phone with them. the deal sounds great - 200 gig bandwidth, $40/month including tax and band fee. Plus you can buy your own DSL modem to use

time to call rogers
  11. SlipperyPete

SlipperyPete TRIBE Member

12. glych t.anomaly

glych t.anomaly TRIBE Member

Bell sends someone out to install the dry loop for you.

then you get the modem in the mail.

once you have done that, you have to set up your modem, to your router, you will have to be able to access the router, and change the settings from normal DHCP to PPTP or something, trying to remember, you then need to enter all the credentials for signing in to the service through your router.

as well when you are using the installation disk, if you are using a router, you want to create a bridge from the modem to the router, not a single point of connection to a lone computer.

its not hard. they're support people are cool, and the speeds are decent.

im not capping out at 1.1 MB download speeds, but i also wont be gettting gouged and moslested by rogers.

if you have any questions let me know.