• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

"International law? I'd better call my lawyer" - Bush

Subsonic Chronic

TRIBE Member
Had to post this one purely for that quote. It's pretty indicative of Bush's contempt for international diplomacy.

Bush laughs off critics of 'spoils of war' bidding
By Rupert Cornwell in Washington
12 December 2003

George Bush poured fuel on the flames of the Iraq contracts dispute yesterday with a sneering dismissal of a suggestion by the German Chancellor that the decision to bar Germany, France Russia and Canada from bidding might violate international law.

"International law? I'd better call my lawyer," the American President joked in response to a reporter's question at the White House.

Gerhard Schröder had spoken earlier after a meeting in Berlin with Kofi Annan, the UN secretary general. Mr Annan called the decision by Paul Wolfowitz, the Deputy Defence Secretary, "unfortunate" and likely to damage attempts to rebuild transatlantic ties bruised by disagreement over the war. The EU is examining the legality of the US moves to stop countries that had not participated in the war from bidding for the $18.6bn (£10.7bn) of contracts, on vague "national security" grounds.

Democrats seized on the episode as further evidence of Bush diplomatic blundering. "How do we get a coalition together when we're putting it out on a government website that a country like Canada is a national security risk to the United States?" Marty Meehan, a Democratic member of the House Armed Services Committee, said.

http://news.independent.co.uk/world/middle_east/story.jsp?story=472441

~atp~

TRIBE Member
No surprise. It makes me angry as hell, but I'm not surprised in the least.

The Bush administration is really just a bunch of guys with little dicks (or women with inferiority complexes) who didn't get enough attention as children and are now taking it out on the world.

It's so telling to me; the United States government is just as fascist as any I've seen...only they hide behind the rhetoric of democracy in order to appease the public.

nusty

TRIBE Member
next election will be the second presidential election I've voted in. Last time I didn't want bush. This time I want him gone. bad.
whoever is closest runner up gets my automatic vote (unless they are campaigning for ww3).

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Colm

TRIBE Member
I understood the prereq for being eligible to bid for these 'reconstruction' contracts was being part of the original coalition. Hence, barring France, Germany, Canada & Russia makes perfect sense... Interestingly enough, the aforementioned parties were highly critical of the US invasion and now they are excluded from the spoils.

What/Which international laws (I am guessing WTO legislation) is the Bush Administration violatiing?

~atp~

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Mike Richards
Who's Money is it?

If it's US cash paying these contracts then why can't they say who can or can't bid on them.
They might have the right on a technicality. But it sure as fuck shows me where their priorities are.

Hey guys! I just killed this sorry ol chap over there behind the dumpster! Only those of you fawkers who helped me beat his ass are gonna get what's in his wallet!