1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

"Intergrity, Pass it on." RIGHT!

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by AdamAnt, Oct 10, 2005.

1. AdamAnt

AdamAnt TRIBE Member

Here's a fine lesson:

This past weekend, I was in an antique store. I was flipping through a copy of "the family Mark Twain." I'd already read most of the books in it but was curious.

At the back of the book I found a black and white photo of what looked to be some movie star. And it was autographed. I figured it might be worth something.

BUT I already had the book and didn't want to spend $18 bucks on a book I already had. I hmmed and hawed and then took the photo to the front. I told them I didn't want the book but asked how much the photo was.

Well the old fart said: "HEY! That's that actress, what's her name. Maureen Ohara!"

Then they wouldn't sell it to me.

I just looked it up, and it's worth about $450.

"Integrity. Pass it on." Right. That's the last time I do anything honest. Should have just slipped it into another book. Or stolen it.

2. squirrely

squirrely TRIBE Member

what did you expect/WANT him to do? just give it to you?

p.s. i knowwwww the typo in your thread title is gonna drive you mad. this just isn't your weekend!

:D

3. AdamAnt

AdamAnt TRIBE Member

My hands were still shaking with fury. I don't really care.

4. Booty Bits

Booty Bits TRIBE Member

wow, your life is so hard.
    someone didn't let you take something from their store. quel horreur.

5. Polymorph

Polymorph TRIBE Member

You should have trusted your gut instincts and just stolen it. Or just buy the goddam book, cheapskate.

6. Lil'Timmy

Lil'Timmy TRIBE Promoter

Adam I love ya kid...but that up there..it's funny.

7. ndrwrld

ndrwrld TRIBE Member

then again...adam ant wasnt really sharp, was he ?

8. randyval

randyval TRIBE Member

i dont even know where to begin, so ill just shut the fuck up:p

9. Subsonic Chronic

Subsonic Chronic TRIBE Member

Fury? Because you didn't steal something worth hundreds of dollars from an antique store?

You've gotta be kidding me.

So would the store owner have shown "integrity" by letting you walk out with that photo for a couple of bucks?

Or are you showing "integrity" by getting all raged up over this?

10. graham

graham Well-Known TRIBEr

Integrity can be a slippery slope when one hand won't wash the other. It is what it is.

11. Flashy_McFlash

Flashy_McFlash Well-Known TRIBEr

Next time, maybe you'll grab the 19th century ivory-inlaid letter opener off the table and start waving it around until the old man defecates in his pants and submits to your integrity.

Had you done that, you'd be at home right now wanking to Catherine O' Hara or whatever.

12. marcinm

marcinm TRIBE Member

you were wrong to bring it to the counter.. you shoudl've just put it in another book and went home.. OBVIOUSLY the fuck behind the counter was not going to sell it to you.

13. Galactic Phantom

Galactic Phantom TRIBE Member

You should have just shoved the photo in your mouth and walked out and no one would be the wiser.

14. marcinm

marcinm TRIBE Member

actually what you should have done was just buy the book if it wasn't too $$ and you would have genuine claim to whatever was inside :)

*edit: but since you didn't, you should've just gone back later and BURNED THE FUCKER DOWN!! :eek:

15. Skipper

Skipper TRIBE Member

$450 isn't something to get this upset about, is it?
    Maybe $4500 but it's not like you lost a winning lottery ticket here.

16. Lysistrata

Lysistrata Well-Known TRIBEr

if you just bought the book you could have an actual claim to the picture. and it's not like $18 is a lot, nor would something as beautiful as a book ever be a waste, even if you have it: you can always give it to someone, or sell it.