• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Interesting Deck Tricks!?...know any?!

MBoy

TRIBE Member
I hear this guy knows how to do stuff with decks.

blaine.jpg

But then he might try and recruit you.

Alex D. from TRIBE on Utility Room

loopdokter

TRIBE Promoter
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by m..m:
I've seen a video of some DJ at the DMC championchips in the early 90's do a hand stand on one turntable and spun around on the platter while scratching a record on the other deck. Now that's a trick!</font>

Ahh yes, DJ David from Germany!

That was one bad-ass trick! I think he also set up 3 decks on pop cans and started to scratch them all. Amazing shit.

Techno DJs who play like turntablists are amazing.

One nifty one is to get an empty tuna can, find the direct centre of it and attach it to the spindle of your deck by driling a hole through it. Take a straw or similar 'strong' piece of hollow tubing and run it just above the top of the tuna can. Attach a record to the straw/plastic tubing like it's an extended spindle. Remove your cartridge, insert it upsidedown so it faces upwards. Then remove the counter-balance weight on your deck and set it to the underside of the record. Instantaneous reverse playback!
smile.gif

I've seen may people pull off versions of this. It's not good for your cartridges though because you're reversing the polarity. It does work though...

Cheers,
Jay K.

Harmonika

TRIBE Member
...most d.j.s will be reluctant to give away anything from their own bag-o-stylin', but since pretty much everything under the sun has been done and can be found out about one way or another:

1. Create your own bass kick - drop the highs and the mids on the deck you're cueing up, put the bass up a little higher than usual. Leave the stylus on the record, but don't start the platter. Cut-n-phase as you please while tapping your finger on the body of the turntable near the counterbalance to create a nice solid THUMP - don't overuse. Claude Young/Dave Clarke style ammo - simple and very effective. Can also be used for mids.

2. Tone generator - takes practice if you want it to sound polished, otherwise you just end up with an annoying, sustained buzz. Turn down the bass on the unused channel, turn the highs up to level and the mids up a bit higher than usual. Start the platter, but instead of placing the stylus on the record, take the headshell and rub it against the nubs that indicate the pitch. The resonance running up the tonearm will produce a hum that you can control by how much pressure you apply, and by adjusting the pitch control as you go. Works well with three decks.

ta-da

i.

The Kid

TRIBE Member
&lt;sarcasm&gt;

How about that cool trick where you end a mix by spinning one record backwards really fast and cut back to the track your mixing in...

...what a cool trick - I wish more DJ's did this.

&lt;/sarcasm&gt;

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

R4V4G3D_SKU11S

TRIBE Member
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Buddy Holly:
I was just wondering if anybody was willing to share any deck tricks with me and the general public. I only know of a few and would really like to learn a few more</font>

jt_image.jpg

The Kid

TRIBE Member
I just thought of a cool trick!

Check this out, if a DJ is playing music with lots of build-ups, they could just mix each build up into each other and have a set that's just one big crazy build up! I think I'd be so excited I'd drop my glowsticks...

Subsonic Chronic

TRIBE Member
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by The Kid:
I just thought of a cool trick!

Check this out, if a DJ is playing music with lots of build-ups, they could just mix each build up into each other and have a set that's just one big crazy build up! I think I'd be so excited I'd drop my glowsticks...

</font>

I've played around with some tracks just at home and have done that, but only with two consecutive buildups. I think any more would be overkill... but if the two tracks go together nicely it can work out.

It's the kind of trick that you need to know exactly where to start the mix though, and if you hand slips, or the record jumps when you're queueing it it all goes to shit.

Pete &lt;- knows how to do a rewind. SELECTA! SELECTA!
smile.gif

The Kid

TRIBE Member
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Subsonic Chronic:
I've played around with some tracks just at home and have done that, but only with two consecutive buildups. I think any more would be overkill... but if the two tracks go together nicely it can work out.

It's the kind of trick that you need to know exactly where to start the mix though, and if you hand slips, or the record jumps when you're queueing it it all goes to shit.

Pete &lt;- knows how to do a rewind. SELECTA! SELECTA!
smile.gif
</font>

Pete I must confess I was being sarcastic (hence the comment about dropping my glowsticks!) I'm actually not a big fan of build-ups...!

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
If you have to identicle pressings of the same record you have a whole host of things you can do. Echo's, flanges tonnes o shit.

"Fishhead" A Dj from winnipeg (normally reffered to as hardcore) is someone to watch for this kind of stuff.

Or you can just light your records on fire while on stage ala S4 styles.