• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!
14K Cannabis seed slider pendants by tribe

Insurance thread #1000 (are they allowed to do this?!)

Mr_Furious

TRIBE Member
My parents told me the other day that their insurance company of 25 years is threatening to cancel their insurance because It's a liability for me to be living under the same roof as them.

Here's a breif rundown of my driving history. I haven't been driving in at least 4 years, so any demerit points I accumulated in the past have now been erased. However, the reason why I haven't driven in the past 4 years is because I wrote off a brand new car sometime back in the summer of 2000. Other than that, i've had one accident (no fault). I have no demerit points at this time accept for 2 recorded as failure to share roadway. That was as a result of the write-off that occured in the summer of 2000.

So after that last accident, my insurance went through the roof and I couldn't afford to drive anymore. My parents insurance company made me sign a contract stating that if I ever drove their car I was under the full understanding that it was considered a theft and that it wouldn't be insured if any accident occured, my fault or not.

So now, YEARS later, DESPITE the fact that I signed that fuckin contract, they're trying to cancel my parents insurance saying that I'm a liability because I can just steal their car anytime.

My parents have been with them for 25 years, accident free and ticket free, are they allowed to do that?!

Mr_Furious

TRIBE Member
I don't understand how insurance companies can arbitrarily change their protocol whenever the hell they feel like it.

That's why there's no such thing as no fault insurance anyomore, because everything is your fault.

I've heard of people having their policies cancelled after one claim WTF?!?!

CiG

TRIBE Member

HEllO?

We need Osama to come terrorize the insurance companies... They are extremely ridiculous... My friend had 4 speeding tickets (0 points), and had a hard time finding anyone that would insure her...

BYe nOW
Luka

Mr_Furious

TRIBE Member
Re: ...

Originally posted by CiG
HEllO?

We need Osama to come terrorize the insurance companies... They are extremely ridiculous... My friend had 4 speeding tickets (0 points), and had a hard time finding anyone that would insure her...

BYe nOW
Luka
Yeah, that's another thing.

if Allstate cancels my parents insurance policy, it's going to be very difficult for them to get one from anyone else.

What bullshit.

Preroller

TRIBE Member
Ah, man...I feel your pain.

I am not quite as familiar with ONT insurance nowadays as I used to be.

I heard my parents talking about you arent allowed to shop around for rates anymore, they will refuse to let you change or something like that, take that with a grain of salt, becuase my parents easily mis-hear things and the likes.

So did ONT go ahead with this rate freeze they were talking about?

You know what the really stupid thing is Wil, when you go to get a car again, its going to be such a rediculous price, cause 'oh look here, why werent you insured for the last 6 years?, well thats gonna cost you ALOT!" even if you have no points against you when you go back, it will be like starting as a new driver again.

I dont think they can do that, I would just make sure they know you signed that peice of paper, and be willing to sign a new one so that your parents dont get cancelled, cause if they get CANCELLED, then your parents will have that on their record as well.

DAVE

Tribe 14K gold cannabis seed slider pendant and chain

OTIS

TRIBE Member
GO TEAM PRIVATE INSURANCE.

Will, when they mean you're a liability, it means, your a risk to the profit value of the policy your parents have -which is probably marginal enough to axe them. They are just looking for an excuse and you are it.

In Ontario, the percentage of uninsured drivers are in the double digits directly as a result of insurance companies dropping unprofitable & less profitable people. Compare this to the public insurance system of BC that sports a uninsured rate a fraction of that of Ontarios, you have to wonder if private insurance makes sense. Funny how they are in the business of decreasing liability, but their business practices increases the risks one faces while on the road.

Preroller

TRIBE Member
hmm, i guess what I meant was the next time you go to buy one and get it insured.

So, you have just been getting insured from the car rental places as you go then?

Might not be a bad way to go, since renting a car doesnt cost a whole lot these days.

DAVE

Preroller

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by OTIS
GO TEAM PRIVATE INSURANCE.

Will, when they mean you're a liability, it means, your a risk to the profit value of the policy your parents have -which is probably marginal enough to axe them. They are just looking for an excuse and you are it.

In Ontario, the percentage of uninsured drivers are in the double digits directly as a result of insurance companies dropping unprofitable & less profitable people. Compare this to the public insurance system of BC that sports a uninsured rate a fraction of that of Ontarios, you have to wonder if private insurance makes sense. Funny how they are in the business of decreasing liability, but their business practices increases the risks one faces while on the road.
I really hope they do this OTIS, go private. In BC you get whatever rate they say, theres only 1 place to get insurance, and everybody I knew had it. As opposed to knowning at least 5 people personally who drive aropund right now with no insurance at all. Hell it's a good thing I had it when I had my accident, but I drove around for a year or so with no insurance either, because I couldn't afford it. I know it was really stupid, and I paid for it once I got insurance back, like I was saying before about the ' oh looks like ytou have been un-insured for a while here', 'ok lets just add on the didnt have insurance fee........

DAVE

OTIS

TRIBE Member
The Ontario insurance system needs to be gutted, and re-vamped. If having insurance while driving is mandated by law, then it should be provided as a public non-profit service payed & used by those who drive.

1. It keeps the money in-province.

2. Unlike private, it wouldn't rely on OHIP to cover the medical expenses of it's claimants. BC's insurance pays back into the public health system.

3. It will base your policy on your CURRENT risk rate, not your potential risk rate. The private system assumes you're guilty before you've even set foot in a car.

4. Much less risk & liability from being hit by an uninsured driver due to a non-descriminatory policy practice.

5. Central financial basis not effected by world events. After 9/11 all private insurance rates shot through the roof, becuase the same bank that finances your private policy, is the same bank that finances policies in other cities.. including New York. When the financial infastructure is kept in-province, it remains uneffected by out-of-province events.

6. Less exploitation.

Preroller

TRIBE Member
What do you think the chances of that happening are OTIS, and who should I be voting for in the next election for this to happen?

Some insurance people are going to be really upset and try to block this, right, cause they will be losing a lot of money?

DAVE

Preroller

TRIBE Member
Dam, This would be a really good time to post a song I wrote "Death to the IMF!" (Insurance Motha Fuckers!)

I lost my lyric book in the move, and have yet to find it :(

DAVE

OTIS

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Preroller
What do you think the chances of that happening are OTIS, and who should I be voting for in the next election for this to happen?
The NDP usually touts public insurance as part of their platform. Howard Hampton was arguing for it during the last provincial.

Some insurance people are going to be really upset and try to block this, right, cause they will be losing a lot of money?

DAVE
YEAP. If you look at who's lobbying for private insurance in places where public insurance exists.. it's all banks.. most of them out of country.

Private companies would shit a toyota if we switched to public.

Another lie they'll tell you is that rates are so high in Ontario because the average claim is so much higher here. Well, if you think about it.. claims are higher here because NO ONE BOTHERS claiming smaller things for fear of a rocketing insurance cost. Which begs another question: What's the purpose of insurance if you can't use it, for fear of being punished?

Anyhow.. there is a huge thread from before where many arguments are made for & against both sides.. it's worth looking into. I think putting trust in industry is giving them a free cheque to do what they want and it shows in Ontario. But ultimately you should decide for yourself with some critical thought. Maybe write your politician a letter of disgust or support for our current system.

AshG

The only truly good news about private insurance is that, if photo radar goes ahead as planned, none of those tickets get looked at by insurance companies.

tha thinnest of silver linings.

OTIS

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by AshG
The only truly good news about private insurance is that, if photo radar goes ahead as planned, none of those tickets get looked at by insurance companies.

tha thinnest of silver linings.
WHAT? And miss out on the potential profit market?!
I'm pretty sure upon conviction of a ticket, your points are lost then WHOOOP! Up she goes.

bitchass

TRIBE Member
I used to be insured through Allianz a couple years back and one day they sent me a letter cancelling my insurance midterm. When I called in to ask why they said that the government had given them grief over their policy of not insuring natives on reserves - so they were cancelling ALL of their policies in Alberta (I live in Calgary) and just backing right out of the province.

Preroller

TRIBE Member
you should check out

www.sentinelmutual.com

edit(click on the yellow wood section)

It's a compnay I started to try and combat paying the deductables when you make a claim. Its not really a HUGE savings for people, but it helps,and it does help out by increasing your deductables if they are the minimum and thus lowering your rate overall. But of course the insurance companies wouldn't insure us for liability insurance, cause we were screwing them :rolleyes: We still have it going, but since we got no liability, we cant get into booths in malls...going door to door to sell it is not very cool at all, people are really sceptical caudse they THINK WE are an insurance company. It's hard trying to explain to people that we are actually against the compnaies, but when people realize, they have signed up to help screw them! :D

DAVE

Last edited:

Lurker

TRIBE Member

3. It will base your policy on your CURRENT risk rate, not your potential risk rate. The private system assumes you're guilty before you've even set foot in a car.

thank you!

I just got jacked for $350 on my current insurance even though I haven't ever had a wreck and I'm rated as a 10 star driver. Needless to say I'm cancelling that policy since I've found a good rate for driving within Toronto (the $350 bonus was just for Waterloo region!)

Paul

OTIS

TRIBE Member
you should check out

www.sentinelmutual.com

edit(click on the yellow wood section)

It's a compnay I started to try and combat paying the deductables when you make a claim. Its not really a HUGE savings for people, but it helps,and it does help out by increasing your deductables if they are the minimum and thus lowering your rate overall. But of course the insurance companies wouldn't insure us for liability insurance, cause we were screwing them :rolleyes: We still have it going, but since we got no liability, we cant get into booths in malls...going door to door to sell it is not very cool at all, people are really sceptical caudse they THINK WE are an insurance company. It's hard trying to explain to people that we are actually against the compnaies, but when people realize, they have signed up to help screw them! :D

DAVE
haha.. that's neat.. i'll read into it further when I get home.

AshG

WHAT? And miss out on the potential profit market?!
I'm pretty sure upon conviction of a ticket, your points are lost then WHOOOP! Up she goes.
nope.
not photo-based tickets.
i understand your sentiment, but the reality of the car being ticketed and not the driver is the reason they don't count against insurance.

Preroller

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Lurker
thank you!

I just got jacked for $350 on my current insurance even though I haven't ever had a wreck and I'm rated as a 10 star driver. Needless to say I'm cancelling that policy since I've found a good rate for driving within Toronto (the $350 bonus was just for Waterloo region!)

Paul
yup, good you checked it out then, the'll frikken screw you as much as they can. :mad:

See you on Saturday! :D

AshG

You underestimate the dynamics of profit driven business ;) I don't imagine that rule to last long.

Anyhow.... here's another thread with lot's of good discourse on insurance.
it was true in the last regime of photo-radar and will be true again.

i was having a discussion about this with my father last week.
he owns an insurance brokerage.
as much as he does want to increase profit margin, he detests photo radar, and was adamant that it will never count against an insurance policy record.

Mr_Furious

TRIBE Member
Ok so what can I do for my parents, or for myself if anything.

I wanted to try and get my insurance back this year seeing as how I'm 25 now, but my insurance company is bitching about 2 demerit points and one speeding ticket for 10 over.