• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Insurance People: help!

MoFo

TRIBE Member
So I'm constantly dealing with employers to get them to apply for/state that they have WSIB or some form of workplace insurance.

What I am not 100% clear about (no one seems to be, not even my boss) is the difference between WSIB/workplace insurance and Third Party Liability?

Can someone explain these two to me in dumb-dumb terms? And I will see if I am explaining it correctly to employers I send clients to.

Cheers.

MoFo

TRIBE Member
Thanks everyone. I really appreciate the help. I mean, jack it down a little.. There's so much here, I can't even handle it.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

lucky1

TRIBE Member
WSIB is mandatory for the Employers to pay into on behalf of the employee. rates are determined by industry, based on risk. Occupational Health and Safety act states specific things and employer must meet. In some industries not every employee is covered. They can be independant operators (those who report on there taxes as being registered independantly) but they can work for an employer, though they wouldn't be covered under WSIB if something happend on site.

MoFo

TRIBE Member
Okay. So what is Third Party then? Compared to WSIB/workplace insurance?

And if they don't have WSIB coverage, what are some general alternatives?
How do banks insure their employees if they don't have WSIB?

And what does "insuring their employees" actually mean?
If the employee gets hurt, then what?

lucky1

TRIBE Member
third party insurance, to be honest I'm not sure..

My understanding of WSIB is it was put in place to be "non-fault" and replace employees individually trying to sue employers for health care and lost wages. third party insurance could be the workplace that does not hire full/time or perm workers and instead hires freelance/ independant workers who must arrange their own insureance the industries thats jumping into my head is construction... I'm not sure if other industries are able to get out of WSIB...

MoFo

TRIBE Member
Hm.

Well, I was told that all workplaces should have both.

WSIB/workplace insurance = employees getting hurt and then covering their costs

Third Party - clients/customers/visitors slips and falls on YOUR icy, unsalted stairwell and this covers their costs

lucky1

TRIBE Member
well it seems you just answered your own question!

I'm thinking of something different than that.. but I'll be honest I didnt' do the best in my HR manangement course ;)

Last edited:
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

judge wopner

TRIBE Member
MoFo said:
Okay. So what is Third Party then? Compared to WSIB/workplace insurance?

And if they don't have WSIB coverage, what are some general alternatives?
How do banks insure their employees if they don't have WSIB?

And what does "insuring their employees" actually mean?
If the employee gets hurt, then what?
WSIB is not mandatory for all employers, you have to inquire what industry and business set up each employer has.

WSIB coverage is only for workplace injuries,

3rd party insurance is a tricky term: banks dont have to have WSIB coverage, they use private insurance for all periods of loss/illness for their employee's, while most companies use WSIB for workplace injuries and have private insurance for every other kind of non-work related illness and health plan coverage.

slips and falls at the premisis by non-staff are covered by another layer of insurance which can or cant be combined with private insurance plans, this includes liabilities from lawsuits and the like.

check out: www.wsib.on.ca and browse the different links for coverage topics, ive been at WSIB for 6 years and i still get confused.

employers you are in the process of providing staff to have to be able to provide you with theri coverage info as part of provincial law, if they say they dont know, tell them to find out before youre stuck with an injured person and no coverage.

call the WSIB liason listed on teh website if you have more specific questions becuase i recall you saying you work at a federal agency so the rules are different.

good luck,

J

MoFo

TRIBE Member
THANK YOU.

Yeah, I know the policies and I have training in all this but you're right: it can sometimes confuse you even though you have all the facts.

I just wanted to see if I was telling the employers the correct thing because everyone I've asked (WSIB people, my boss, employers) all pass the buck.. Haha, praise Tribe.

Thanks again, Judge.
YOU WILL GET A STEAK AND BLOWJOB.