• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Installing a light

~decepticon~

TRIBE Promoter
Quick question, I am installing a light switch(Opus Track Fixture) and there are 3 wires - black, white, and a ground. When I connect the black to the black and the white to the white and the ground to the bolt the light works however the switch nearby doesn't turn it on or off. Any ideas of how to troubleshoot it?

SweatyNuts

TRIBE Member
~decepticon~ said:
Quick question, I am installing a light switch(Opus Track Fixture) and there are 3 wires - black, white, and a ground. When I connect the black to the black and the white to the white and the ground to the bolt the light works however the switch nearby doesn't turn it on or off. Any ideas of how to troubleshoot it?
you've prolly hooked the black wire from the light fixture right to the black wire (power) in the switch box, bypassing the switch itself.

light has black, white and ground.
switch box has black, white and ground.

switch itself has 2 screws, one at the top, one at the bottom of the switch.

1. connect grounds to ground screw in back of box.
2. black from light to top of switch (screw)
3. black from switch box (power) to bottom of switch.
4. white from light gets marr'd to white from switch box (neutral).

badda bing

SweatyNuts

TRIBE Member
SweatyNuts said:
you've prolly hooked the black wire from the light fixture right to the black wire (power) in the switch box, bypassing the switch itself.

light has black, white and ground.
switch box has black, white and ground.

switch itself has 2 screws, one at the top, one at the bottom of the switch.

1. connect grounds to ground screw in back of box.
2. black from light to top of switch (screw)
3. black from switch box (power) to bottom of switch.
4. white from light gets marr'd to white from switch box (neutral).

badda bing
oops... re-read the question...
sounds like a 3-way switch. those are a bitch.
google it for the best instructions... hard to explain.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Wiseman

TRIBE Member
oh and make sure when you figure it out right before you turn the switch say "And (your name) said, let there be light"