• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Inspired by the Post Pride Thread - Gay tribers wanna help me out?

danielablau

TRIBE Promoter
So like I eluded to in the above mentioned thread.........
I only have one close friend who is gay.......so I want to get a more broad sense of things so I'll ask the gay tribers.......

What if it is found that being homosexual is genetic? How does that sit with you? Is it a feeling of being villified (sp?) that being homo isnt a choice but in fact who you are?

I have always thought it was a genetic thing.........I mean, who would choose to be gay? Like especially in the past when being gay brought on so much hate from people........why would someone choose that? So i figured it was something taht was genetic.........I dunno......

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

danielablau

TRIBE Promoter
Krzysiu - thats just my point, maybe the only reason i'm hetero is because something genetically is making me hetero.........I do lack the background to understand the issue.......I was speaking more hypothetically since we do not know either way............

I was asking because of that documentary that was mentioned and how gay people are often accused by homophobes by having a choice in the matter......so this genetic theory would squash that accusation.......

deevah - nature vs nature is just the thing i'm talking about, from that documentaries stand point a lot of what a kid plays with as a child is more nature than nurture............

deevah

TRIBE Member
yes ppl have a choice in the matter - there is always a choice

there are gays that choose to live a straight life

AgentSanchez

TRIBE Promoter
I don't know... most gay people that I know view it as who they are, not some choice. I can't see how scientific proof backing that sentiment up would rub them the wrong way.

I can, however, see the some who aren't gay thinking 'oh... it's genetic... let's find a way to cure them'. And I can see THAT pissing off the gay community.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Krzysiu

TRIBE Member
danielablau said:
I mean, who would choose to be gay?

why wouldn't they? homophobia is just brought on by ignorance... the world is changing, sexual identies are changing, nothing is constant... maybe heterophobia could result from overpopulation? anything is possible but in the mean time, while you ponder sexual preference you should really get more gay friends.

edit: yeah, i deleted that post cause it was vulgar (in my own opinion) of how I view this issue.

Last edited:

danielablau

TRIBE Promoter
AgentSanchez - I didnt even think about it from that stand point, though I'm sure homophobes would bring that up..........

Its so fucked up thinking that we are these programmed robot type things........all doing things because of genetic code......i dunno, brings up thoughts of The Matrix and things, and things like fate........

like if we are making choices because that is how we are programmed to respond in a given situation.......then maybe the worlds plans are already set in stone..........

danielablau

TRIBE Promoter
Krzysiu - I dont choose my friends based on if they are gay or not, we are generally friends first and if they are straight/gay or whatever, I usually end up finding out afterwards........maybe you should get some stragiht friends...... =P

deevah

TRIBE Member
just b/c you're genetically predisposed to something, it doesn't mean you'll get it

i can't believe we're actually having a discussion about the possibility of a gay gene

GOD.LOVES.THE.FAGS. when was the last time pride had shitty weather? NEVER.

Soulster

TRIBE Member
i always found the following piece of information interesting. my step-brother told me this when he was going through the genetics program at U of T:

Some geneticists postulate that any human trait (whether it be physical, behavioural, or what-have-you) is minimum 50% genetically determined.

I don't know whether my wording is screwing up the accuracy of the statement though.

Also, i'd like to make the point that just because a behaviour is a result of "nurture" doesn't automatically infer that someone therefore feels they have a "choice", which seems to be what you're saying.

danielablau

TRIBE Promoter
deevah, why is the idea that sexual preference being genetically linked be that farfetched? So many things are linked to genes, why cant sexuality be linked? You talk about being predisposed to something doesnt mean "you'll get it" like we are talking about some disease (I am not being an ass to you, I'll write that now so I dont get Krzyiu pissed off) its not a matter of "getting it" or what have you, its more like I have brown eyes, another person may have blue, i like girls, my guy friend likes guys..........

And.....uhmmmmmmm.........who is this god person you are talking about? hehe

AgentSanchez

TRIBE Promoter
Krzysiu said:
why wouldn't they? homophobia is just brought on by ignorance... the world is changing, sexual identies are changing, nothing is constant... maybe heterophobia could result from overpopulation? anything is possible but in the mean time, while you ponder sexual preference you should really get more gay friends.

edit: yeah, i deleted that post cause it was vulgar (in my own opinion) of how I view this issue.

YOU Deleted a post because it was a little vulgar?

Fuck... and I missed it.

Krzysiu

TRIBE Member
I just want to understand why people need to find a reason for it... if its a dna queer code, we can alter people genes to "cure" it. if its a behavioural abnormality, we can treat it with therapy and conditioning.

but why? whats the issue of peoples sexuality? the whole emphasis of pride is acceptance of people sexual diversity as a reaction to a history of intolerance. we accept and embrace difference, we don't have to classify it as a result of something.

I think the fact that we have the issue of trying to define a root to homosexuality is a strong indicator that we're not fully ready to embrace the whole spectrum of sexual possibilities. I'm not saying danielblau is a homophobe, far from it, he's trying to understand other peoples sexual preferences as a way to overcome what i guess you'd call "lifestyle choice differences" but i think we need to stop questioning why people are different and just accept and enjoy that people are different.

I dunno if I'm overreating, queer issues touch a nerve with me sometimes.

deevah

TRIBE Member
danielablau said:
deevah, why is the idea that sexual preference being genetically linked be that farfetched? So many things are linked to genes, why cant sexuality be linked? You talk about being predisposed to something doesnt mean "you'll get it" like we are talking about some disease (I am not being an ass to you, I'll write that now so I dont get Krzyiu pissed off) its not a matter of "getting it" or what have you, its more like I have brown eyes, another person may have blue, i like girls, my guy friend likes guys..........

And.....uhmmmmmmm.........who is this god person you are talking about? hehe

i'm not saying it's far-fetched...quite the opposite. I'm saying it's partially genetic and partially due to the environment you're exposed to. It's a little from column A and a little from column B. It's not as black and white as you're painting it to be. FYI, alleles for eye colour are much simpler than say genes for cancer.

it's like obese ppl saying they have no choice but to be fat b/c they have the fat-gene...i guarantee if they did a gene test for a large pop'n, there will be skinny/ave ppl that also carry the fat gene

Last edited:

danielablau

TRIBE Promoter
See, I figured someone ( or many ppl ) would take my questions as being homophobe, but what I'm really questioning is whether or not we are all just slaves to our genetic code.......

deevah

TRIBE Member
danielablau said:
See, I figured someone ( or many ppl ) would take my questions as being homophobe, but what I'm really questioning is whether or not we are all just slaves to our genetic code.......

the answer is no

Krzysiu

TRIBE Member
but I didn't post that you were being homophobic... I think the fact that the issue remains in society in general is a sign that we're not as tolerant as we believe we are for a week in june every summer.

I'm as guilty of it as you are.

deevah

TRIBE Member
the most frightening part of discovering the "gay" gene is pre-natal testing....

i'd totally abort a child that was not destined to become a gay boy...hopefully they'll find the cross-dressing gene too cuz i wanna raise a drag queen proper

danielablau

TRIBE Promoter
Krzysiu - you knw what, your post #14 (I dunno how to quote) is what I was looking for in an answer or the type of answer i was looking for (assuming you are gay). I guess from a lot of people's view, why should we even care why people are teh way they are.........fair enough......

I guess I always wondered because there is alwyas this big hoopla about homophobes going on about how its a choice....

I guess i'm too much of a science thought driven person and I want to know everything about everything.........I dunno....

deevah - I never even thoguht about it from a prenatal testing stand point, its fucked when you think about it taht way tho.....

Krzysiu

TRIBE Member
I just want my child(ren) to not feel ashamed or prejudiced for being what ever he/she/it/they want to be.

(but if they're girls, they better not be whores, or its the door. I ain't raising no legs-in-the-air-at-sixteen tramps.

thats MY job!)

Krzysiu

TRIBE Member
another thing (sorry danielablau for using your thread to soapbox...) that really pisses me off about people questioning sexuality is the attitude of "oh, you're a fag so you don't think girls are hot" or "lesbians don't care about an attractive man."

thats bullshit. even if you have no sexual desire for someone, you can still appreciate their physical beauty! I like beautiful paints, doesn't mean I wanna fuck a renoir.

also, how many times did I "oh my god, you're so cute, its too bad you're gay..." why? why is it too bad? cause I won't make out with you? (thats never been a problem with me, trust me, I'm a dirty mexican whore when it comes to that shit) but you feel justified in saying its a shame that my sexual preference excludes physical attraction to you?

no, its not a shame. its shame you're not attractive enough for me to want to do you. I swear to god, i heard it at least ten times on sunday alone. I appreciate the compliment that you want to express to me that you think I'm attractive but its insulting to say that my lack of intrest in you is a pity.

Aleks

TRIBE Member
^i like your view point. thats the way everyone should think. Humans create too many boundaries and classifications....but whatever i think its our nature to do so.