1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

"innovation" at Rogers.... WTF!

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by alexd, Jun 21, 2010.

1. alexd

alexd Administrator Staff Member

Did anyone else get that notice in the mail from Rogers today?

A one page machine produced letter, with a vague date of June 2010, with "INNOVATION FOR TODAY AND TOMORROW" in big letters on the side, personally mail merge addressed to you and signed by Matt Ariker, Vice President, Customer Marketing.

The innovation? A 5% price increase effective July 1.

WTF! Don't they have to give more than 10 days notice to do this? And how completely bogus of them. Matt Ariker, Vice President, Customer Marketing - you are so full of shit.

The real "innovation" is that they are making customers pay for their retarded "stop the TV Tax" ad campaign.

If my television services do indeed go up at all on July 1, I am going to immediately cancel them.

I canceled my Rogers internet earlier in the year and I have never been happier. I think I am going to innovate them out of my life completely.

2. ndrwrld

ndrwrld TRIBE Member

thankfully, Rogers doesn't service the Hammer.
    we're going with Cogeco.
    better service for internet tv and home phone, and $30 cheaper per month.
    fuck you Rogers.

3. The Watcher

The Watcher TRIBE Member

I haven't given rogers a cent in a long long time and I'm proud.

4. JamesM

JamesM TRIBE Member

between cbc, CHCH, and like omni, global. You can get it all off the air.

if you get an ATSC tuner, you can even score like 7-10 HD channels in the GTA too. We haven't had cable for 4 years.

5. KodiaK

KodiaK TRIBE Member

a coat hanger works wonders to get over the air HD as well.

6. Eclectic

Eclectic TRIBE Member

See and this is the whole "TV Tax" debate in a nutshell.

Basically, channels keep charging providers more to carry their signal so providers have to charge us more...

[​IMG]

It's a vicious cycle.

7. diablo

diablo TRIBE Member

Cancelled my Rogers cable last week.

Not out of righteous indignation or anything...I just don't watch much TV.

8. graham

graham Well-Known TRIBEr

They truly are bad

9. Wiseman

Wiseman TRIBE Member

Our Co-op contract is up with Rogers for television and we get to hear presentations from them and Bell on monday. The difference in price/services doesn't even compare. It's like Rogers doesn't even want to try to compete. Rogers wants to lower our services for more money than we are paying right now. Bell would be cheaper than we are right now with full HD services included and free PVR rentals etc.

I feel bad for the Rogers dude that has to pitch an offer he has to know will fail.

10. videotronic

videotronic TRIBE Member

maybe rogers has data that people in co-op buildings tend to be late on their bills, necessitating many man-hours chasing them down and calling them to try to get paid.

maybe they would rather not be your service provider, and this is their polite way of telling you that.

11. Wiseman

Wiseman TRIBE Member

lol no. the charge is included in our rent so rogers is paid directly by the Co-op in one lump sum and not by the members individually. Rogers is just refusing to be competitive.

12. dstarr

dstarr TRIBE Member

I quit Rogers 1.5 years ago and have never been happier.

That company will never again see one cent of my money.

I think that not enough people speak with their wallets. They go online and complain, they tell friends but keep their services with them.

They screwed me around when I was getting a replacement phone and despite the fact that I had over two years left on a three year contract where I was paying OVER 100 a month for their services, they didn't try to keep me and so I paid $500 to leave the contract.

As a result they are going to miss out on years and years of revenue from me.

13. videotronic

videotronic TRIBE Member

the thing about rogers is that they own 7/8ths of ontario, so even though you don't pay them via your phone bill, you probably pay them in 32 other ways that you aren't even aware of.

14. acheron

acheron TRIBE Member

We quit Rogers as soon as we were able - our previous house we couldn't get Bell ExpressVu 'cuz we had a big tree blocking the satellite shot, so we had to go with Rogers. Only thing we liked about it was the on-demand but otherwise the customer service was shit, we went through three or four PVRs with them... absolutely no incentive to stay with them when we moved. Been Rogers-free for almost four years now!

15. Persephone

Persephone TRIBE Member

Same here, although frustrating that Cogeco doesn't get sportsnet in HD...this annoys my boyfriend who can't watch all of his Leafs games in HD.

Hrm, has anyone used an ATSC tuner in Hamilton before? How many HD channels available?

16. LeoGirl

LeoGirl TRIBE Member

can you please point them out so that I am aware of them.

17. Matt Carl

Matt Carl TRIBE Member

My wife and i switched to Rogers from Bell 2 or 3 years ago, seems way better. Defo cheaper than Bell, and so far we have been treated way better, and we were with Bell for a long time.

I guess we got lucky

18. videotronic

videotronic TRIBE Member

google it. the list is too long to type. magazines, newspapers, radio stations, tv stations, sports teams, facilities, buildings...

19. KillaLadY

KillaLadY TRIBE Member

No, we're pretty happy with our Rogers too... and we got TONS of services, two boxes, cell phones... they are pretty fair to us.

Happy Rogers customer.

20. basketballjones

basketballjones TRIBE Member

they cant just up and decide you need to pay more then the contract you signed

that is grounds for free cancellation!

21. vench

vench TRIBE Promoter

anything you signed at a lower price will allegedly be honoured until that contract runs out.

at least that's what the flyer said. I used 'allegedly' because you never know.

22. basketballjones

basketballjones TRIBE Member

^ so if they increase your bill by 5% before the contract runs out you can break it with no penalty

23. octo

octo TRIBE Member

have you guys heard the ads for the their new service? "talk to a live CSR!" i bet you have to pay extra for it. i LOLLED so hard when i first heard the ad.

24. LeoGirl

LeoGirl TRIBE Member

Rogers, Bell, Rogers Bell, Rogers, Bell

both have their issues, CSR complaints, Contracts. Come down to experience. I had my cell phone with Rogers for a decade and only switched because I was pressured by the s/o. Paying the same price for a few extra features I rarely use.

What I will say, is that my reception with Rogers was way better. Malls, Elevators, Parking Garages are the best time to mug me, cuz I've got no reception. With rogers, I could be in the most remote camping ground, lying on a beach with no one around and ALWAYS get reception.

25. wickedken

wickedken TRIBE Member

Rogers stated that they were going to end my grandfather internet contract. I called and bitched (less product for more money) and finally relented to extreme for $37. however when I did pull the cancel card, the CSR stated that they would still charge the cancellation fee and penalty. I did not agree with the CSR assessment and stated I would refuse to pay and litigate if it came to be due to change of contract terms, but that's when the extreme price was offered. it was only $3 more per month so they bribed me. also the economics of teksavvy were not favourable after all fees and charges. has anyone actually refused to pay cancellation penalty after Roger's has changed contract terms?