• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Injury by misadventure

depraved

TRIBE Member
Got back recently from skiing near Salt Lake City (I never did find out what the deal was with Mormon underwear).

The setup:
Day before injury, skiing in a freak T-storm dumping so hard snow flowed like water down steeps. Vertigo from snow devils on open slopes, so I stuck to the trees; no viz otherwise.
Next day was epic powder; deep & fluffy. Face shots on fresh tracks every turn of every run. Dropping cliffs in colouirs with tight trees.

The injury:
Not taking into account the amount of drift thru the turn owing to depth of snow & slope steepness, I chose a line that I expected would let me scrub speed by turning above a tree in a narrow lane at the inflection between steep & steeper cliff. Nailed the tree with my fat ski & then boot; hit just behind the "6th toe". Blew up my ankle. Pics & xrays as below. Crushed tibia @ ankle as circled.

The epilog:
Climbing up the face I ragdolled down to retrieve my ski was brutal. At least the ski was wedged in at the tree trunk. No powder tails, so I might have lost it otherwise. I only had one more day before my scheduled return home, so thankfully I didn't lose out on too much skiing. Returned to Canada, & finally saw a doctor.

The aftermath:
Going balls out on the physio; appts every weeksday for the next 2 weeks. Still can't lift my weight on the ball of the injured foot, but it's only been a week. Plan on meeting up with Norm da drediknight gunning to rip it up + gun steeps at Whistler in early April with a bunch there called Extremely Canadian.

The lesson:
Specifically -- Scrub speed by turning BELOW a tree in case there's more drift thru a turn than expected.
Generally -- rethink & re-evaluate. Ask "what's the worst thing that can happen if things don't work out as planned?" Think of alternate ways to git 'er done. Have a back-up plan that keeps your ass outta the fire if things start to go wrong in the middle.



Any other tribers w/ stories about injuries from bad decisions? I'm thinking specifically athletic pursuits, but debauched are good too.




Pic & x-ray of ugliness below:
anklesx227x24ormoreviewwl8.jpg


Next morning:
dsc00016gkcr5.jpg
 

spaboy

TRIBE Member
The year is nineteen hundred & ninety four

My brothers & I used to fastened metal spikes (not spikes but the kind of traction there is on those hilarious skates you put on over your shoes) to the skis of our GT Snow Racers. It worked awesome for cutting sharp corners. We decided to try a pretty treacherous run on the escarpment with plenty o trees. We were at it for a couple hours having a good time. I was flying down on one run & during a sharp turn my 'traction' worked too well & dug into a buried root. Thus bringing my GT to a complete stop & sending me flying. While I was in the air, I hit a tree REAL hard with my legs (lucky in retrospect) & proceeded to slide down the hill in agony & then I puked on myself. I was in the most pain I'd EVER experienced & was afraid to look at the damage. My fibula snapped & was sticking out of my leg about an inch. I fractured the other leg too. My brothers carried me home on my GT. That day sure sucked.

I think I have pics too!
 
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

depraved

TRIBE Member
spaboy said:
The year is nineteen hundred & ninety four

My brothers & I used to fastened metal spikes (not spikes but the kind of traction there is on those hilarious skates you put on over your shoes) to the skis of our GT Snow Racers. It worked awesome for cutting sharp corners. We decided to try a pretty treacherous run on the escarpment with plenty o trees. We were at it for a couple hours having a good time. I was flying down on one run & during a sharp turn my 'traction' worked too well & dug into a buried root. Thus bringing my GT to a complete stop & sending me flying. While I was in the air, I hit a tree REAL hard with my legs (lucky in retrospect) & proceeded to slide down the hill in agony & then I puked on myself. I was in the most pain I'd EVER experienced & was afraid to look at the damage. My fibula snapped & was sticking out of my leg about an inch. I fractured the other leg too. My brothers carried me home on my GT. That day sure sucked.

I think I have pics too!

Ho lee fk -- Brutal! Post those pics.
 

depraved

TRIBE Member
jared k said:
damn.

last weekend i threw my back out humping. does that count?

a) Pitching or catching, debauched or not, um no. Unless the trauma was worthy of medical attn.

b) Pics?
 

that 420 guy

TRIBE Member
*ouch* that injury sucks. can you walk? i'd normally say fuck it, suck up the pain, tighten up your boots so much you don't feel anything and then ride, but in the end you'll be paying for it the rest of your life.

four days before my level 1 instructors course in nelson, i foolishly sprained my ankle while being silly and inebriated in jasper *daam you radtastik mountain town* *shakes fist* my ankle was super swollen. instead of letting it heal properly, i just tightened up my boots like crazy and went riding anyways. after my course, i should've let my ankle heal, but i was only in nelson for the season and i wasn't about to let a sprained ankle stop me from riding kutenai pow. well, i did have an epic season that continues to put a smile on my face every time i think about it (including when you and demi came to visit), but my ankle still hurts to this day. i guess i'm going to have pains in my ankle for the rest of my life thanks to that choice i made. or maybe its cause i've had both my ankles in casts before too. hmmmm...

regardless, if you can't walk properly i wouldn't suggest riding. the pain, even though bearable right meow, will haunt you later on in life. if you don't mind that possibly of life long pain, then tighten up your boots, pull up your big boy pants and let's rip...just maybe not as hard as you're used to ;)

i've got a metal plate with seven screws in my right knee thanks to a skateboarding injury ten years ago. sure it hurts once in a while when i push my legs hard snowboarding or playing ultimate, but my knee still does its job...and i like to play hard
snowboarding4.gif


if you want to ride next month, i know you'll do it. nothing is impossible </adidas>.

greg, if you decide that you aren't going to push it and ski, does that mean you are not coming to whistler? maybe we could treat your injury with some b.c. herbal medicine and some glacier mountain lagers :p

~*...normaste...*~
 
Last edited:

lucky1

TRIBE Member
when I was 18 we were boarding at blue and I decided to take a big tabletop jump. So I was first to go out of my friends, and just like in true Blue Mountain fashion the entire take off and landing was an ice sheet so I had way to much speed and no control of the landing so I fell and cracked the back of my head on the ice.

I just remember opening my eyes and 20 people are standing over me looking down at me, asking if I'm ok. Like any foolish teen I say I'm fine and shake myself off and ride to the lift line. We get back on the lift (blue only used to have double chairs) and my buddies get on ahead of me so I'm riding by myself and am all confused. I keep calling to them, question like what day is it? what happened? etc. concussion.

I take 6-8 advils and rode the rest of the day with the worst headache of my life. Came home passed out on the couch like a retard, then went to work at my pool the next day (i was a lifeguard) where staff told me I definatley had a concussion and I was an idiot for not going to the hospital..lol. for about three weeks everytime I turned my head It hurt and felt like my brain wash bouncing of my skull.

Now I'm 30 and know i'm breakable so i don't do jumps or tricks anymore :D
 
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

sk8

TRIBE Member
that 420 guy said:
i've got a metal plate with seven screws in my right knee thanks to a skateboarding injury ten years ago. sure it hurts once in a while when i push my legs hard snowboarding or playing ultimate, but my knee still does its job...and i like to play hard
snowboarding4.gif



~*...normaste...*~

i remember visiting you in the hospital!!

you've got some of your hip in there too if i remember correctly...
 

that 420 guy

TRIBE Member
sk8 said:
i remember visiting you in the hospital!!

you've got some of your hip in there too if i remember correctly...

they had to remove bone from my hip and graft it onto my knee. it hurt...lots :(

how is your knee, sk8?
 

Michlerish

Well-Known TRIBEr
Here's a dumb one:

We went in to storybook gardens after dark one night to play around, and we piled up in one of those giant tube slides to hotbox it. There were about 5 of us, crouched sideways in the slide, using our feet to hold us there.
Well someone dropped the weed in the slide, and I was afraid of it burning me, so I bounced up to find it. I heard a kind of snap in my knee and it was so painful that I forced everyone out of the slide so I could straighten my leg.
When I got to the bottom, I couldnt' straighten it or stand on it, and it felt like my knee was totally misaligned.
Me being me, I ususally get faint when I hurt myself, so as I was hopping back to the car with them, I'd have to stop every 10 seconds because I was about to pass out. :|
My guy friend piggy-backed me out of the park (up a really huge hill), and I got home, sat on the floor and burst into tears (I had been acting tough :p).
When I looked at my knee, it was swollen bigger than my entire leg! I was on crutches for about a week.
Turns out I had chipped/cracked the track that my patella runs on, so my kneecap was out of line.

Thankfully, no surgery or casts required... but the swollen knee and inability to walk on it for 10 days was annoying.

Worst of all, I've never been able to swim breaststroke (my stroke) very well ever since... because my knee pops with every kick, and it eventually starts to hurt.

I should have kept up with the physio, but I didn't :\
 

sk8

TRIBE Member
that 420 guy said:
they had to remove bone from my hip and graft it onto my knee. it hurt...lots :(

how is your knee, sk8?

i'm glad to hear yours isn't giving you much trouble now though!

mine's okay now, it was just torn cartilage so it healed up pretty much back to normal. that's a good example of stopping when stuff hurts - LOL. getting up and riding for the rest of the night and then falling on it again wasn't the best plan. also the part where BK made fun of me and then felt horribly guilty after when something was actually wrong was awesome.

and i'll never forget the fabulous cardboard splint.
 

Michlerish

Well-Known TRIBEr
in response to sk8:

I've made fun of someone before (twice) when it was actually something serious. It feels horrible :(


Annnd.... if you're ever in need of a quick splint, a magazine is PERFECT. This was advised by a trained ambulance driver, no less. Just curve it around the limb, and tie it with some material... it's very stiff.
Also why you can use a rolled up magazine as a weapon ;)
 
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

sk8

TRIBE Member
fabulous cardboard splint

47b8dd22b3127cceb598b02a71e000000026100AaNmLJw1buGIA


next time i'm not going to limp around in front of ski patrollers so they don't do this to me again.
 

veteze

TRIBE Promoter
I jammed both my thumbs into the hard pack on Whistler last week. Still can't squeeze my right thumb to my fingers very tightly. It's all bruised. Brutal. You win though.
 

depraved

TRIBE Member
that 420 guy said:
*ouch* that injury sucks. can you walk? i'd normally say fuck it, suck up the pain, tighten up your boots so much you don't feel anything and then ride, but in the end you'll be paying for it the rest of your life.

four days before my level 1 instructors course in nelson, i foolishly sprained my ankle while being silly and inebriated in jasper *daam you radtastik mountain town* *shakes fist* my ankle was super swollen. instead of letting it heal properly, i just tightened up my boots like crazy and went riding anyways. after my course, i should've let my ankle heal, but i was only in nelson for the season and i wasn't about to let a sprained ankle stop me from riding kutenai pow. well, i did have an epic season that continues to put a smile on my face every time i think about it (including when you and demi came to visit), but my ankle still hurts to this day. i guess i'm going to have pains in my ankle for the rest of my life thanks to that choice i made. or maybe its cause i've had both my ankles in casts before too. hmmmm...

regardless, if you can't walk properly i wouldn't suggest riding. the pain, even though bearable right meow, will haunt you later on in life. if you don't mind that possibly of life long pain, then tighten up your boots, pull up your big boy pants and let's rip...just maybe not as hard as you're used to ;)

i've got a metal plate with seven screws in my right knee thanks to a skateboarding injury ten years ago. sure it hurts once in a while when i push my legs hard snowboarding or playing ultimate, but my knee still does its job...and i like to play hard
snowboarding4.gif


if you want to ride next month, i know you'll do it. nothing is impossible </adidas>.

greg, if you decide that you aren't going to push it and ski, does that mean you are not coming to whistler? maybe we could treat your injury with some b.c. herbal medicine and some glacier mountain lagers :p

~*...normaste...*~

I can't walk properly -- yet. Swelling still bad; the foot is almost an inch in diameter bigger than the uninjured one. I'm pretty sure that I'll have pain for the rest of my days from it. No biggie -- it'll just hafta get in line with the leftover pain from other injuries of days gone by.

If the threat of leftover pain were the only issue, I'd sac up & give 'er. The bigger problem is putting axial pressure on it. I'll know better what's what in 2 weeks time. Goal is to raise my own weight via one-legged calf extension by then, & roll my ankle likewise. Right now, even attempting it makes me yelp like a beat puppy (I tried it this weekend a few times). If no progress, doc may send me for an MRI in case bone frags not visible in the x-ray. I'll pm you in a cpl weeks; I'd hate to be all the way out there & not shred w/ you.

- G
ps: Demi asked me to send you hugs
 

that 420 guy

TRIBE Member
how's the foot, greg? will i be shredding with you next week, or just sharing a beer with you telling you how awesomecore the shredding was?
 
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

catilyst

TRIBE Member
Not much of a story but I went over a ledge at Kicking Horse a couple weeks ago unexpectedly in flat light. Basically faceplanted. Pretty sure I was out for a few moments (but I really don't know), came out of the fog spitting up blood. A group had formed around me asking if I was ok, and of course, I said I was fine. It took me awhile to get to my feet, and figured to keep skiing.

By the time I got to the bottom though I knew it was a little more serious so I reported to the ski patrol.

Concussion

Since then I've read a fair bit about them and damn, they can be bad.
 

sheik rock

TRIBE Member
catilyst said:
Not much of a story but I went over a ledge at Kicking Horse a couple weeks ago unexpectedly in flat light. Basically faceplanted. Pretty sure I was out for a few moments (but I really don't know), came out of the fog spitting up blood. A group had formed around me asking if I was ok, and of course, I said I was fine. It took me awhile to get to my feet, and figured to keep skiing.

By the time I got to the bottom though I knew it was a little more serious so I reported to the ski patrol.

Concussion

Since then I've read a fair bit about them and damn, they can be bad.

Were you wearing a helmet?
 

Hawk Eye

TRIBE Member
catilyst said:
Not much of a story but I went over a ledge at Kicking Horse a couple weeks ago unexpectedly in flat light. Basically faceplanted. Pretty sure I was out for a few moments (but I really don't know), came out of the fog spitting up blood. A group had formed around me asking if I was ok, and of course, I said I was fine. It took me awhile to get to my feet, and figured to keep skiing.

At least they asked that you were ok. I remember when I used to ski, i went over this jump and landed straight on my back. I knocked the wind right out of me and couldn't breathe. I had people yelling at me to get out of the way and i'm lying at the bottom of the hill trying to catch my breathe..yeah not fun.
 
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders
Top