• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Infections with body jewellery

Hawk Eye

TRIBE Member
I have an infection on my belly button.
I got Triple Antibiotic Ointment and Hydrogen peroxide. I wasn't really sure how to put it on.

I just put the ointment on and rubbed it around the wound and then put the peroxide on kleenex and held it over the wound.

has anyone had an infection because of body jewellery before? I've had my ring for about 4 years or so and i changed it a few weeks ago. I guess i didnt clean it properly. I dont want to take it out.

How long do you guy think it will heal?

ciao

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

Poot

TRIBE Member
Um, if it's actually infected, you should see a doctor - they'll prescribe you an antibiotic ointment far stronger (and effective) than over the counter stuff.

Also, the peroxide s/b used to clean, after which you would apply the ointment.

I really think your heal time will be much faster with a prescription ointment, that's for sure. Any doctor at a walk-in should be able to prescribe this for you.

Jazz

TRIBE Member
best way to avoid infections after getting pierced... leave it the fuck alone and stay healthy!

credit for this goes to stainless studios...

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

janiecakes

TRIBE Member
See, this is the kind of shit people can just keep to themselves. There's really not much to gain from posting 'hey everyone, I have pus coming out of my belly button, I thought y'all might need to know."

echootje

TRIBE Member
Take a bath, not too hot, put some salt in the bath (iodized aka table salt, or epsom, but not the effervescent bath salts) Do this every 3 days until the infection goes away, its good for skin yer an athletes foot too.

Rob

Casey

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by janiecakes
See, this is the kind of shit people can just keep to themselves. There's really not much to gain from posting 'hey everyone, I have pus coming out of my belly button, I thought y'all might need to know."

Let's just be thankfull it wasn't a genital piercing infection.

geminigirl

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Hawk Eye
I have an infection on my belly button.
I got Triple Antibiotic Ointment and Hydrogen peroxide. I wasn't really sure how to put it on.

I just put the ointment on and rubbed it around the wound and then put the peroxide on kleenex and held it over the wound.

has anyone had an infection because of body jewellery before? I've had my ring for about 4 years or so and i changed it a few weeks ago. I guess i didnt clean it properly. I dont want to take it out.

How long do you guy think it will heal?

ciao

Usually once a belly button piercing starts getting infected, it's hard to reheal. Sometimes it won't. Your bellybutton is one of the hardest areas of the body to heal in terms of piecings because there is very little blood circulation in that area. Nipple and especially genital piercing heal at a much faster rate due to more blood circulation in the area.

I would buy dial antibacterial soap. Wash the piercing out well(morning and night) and if you are going to use pointment...use VERY little.

That's my 2 cents. I have had piercing for more than 10 years. This should work and if not, perhaps take it out if it is not healed in a few weeks.

Good luck.:)

Maxine

Eccentric (LRG)

TRIBE Member
how about you don't use peroxide siunce it'll dry out the piercing and cause even more pain and suffering.

Use WItch Hazel in stead. Its a cleaning astrogent. Can buy it for 2$ @ shoppers!
Clean piercing, get qtip... rub on piercing and on ring. work ring through piercing... rinse.
never bandage or use creams .... for real :)

lucky1

TRIBE Member
After a couple years my navel piercing had an allergic reaction to the laundry soap I started using and It wouldn't heal so I had to take it out. No matter what I tried I couldn't get it to recover.

good luck. I hope yours gets better.

junglegirl

TRIBE Member
I found that my bellybutton piercing was getting infected frequently when I had a ring but when I changed to a barbell I never had an infection again - maybe you want to try that.

Moez

TRIBE Member
I, personally, find wearing a barbell in my belly button so uncomfortable. It gets caught on my pants when I sit down and irritates the hell out of my piercing.

I stick to the ring I got right after I got it pierced. It never gets infected, I think it looks good and it doesn't usually get caught on my pants. (although there are always exceptions)

In terms of helping it heal after infection, I clean it everytime I shower, rotating the ring, I use tea tree oil or a mild organic soap. Then I just stop touching it unless it is to clean it and it heals up.

gubydal

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by echootje
Take a bath, not too hot, put some salt in the bath (iodized aka table salt, or epsom, but not the effervescent bath salts) Do this every 3 days until the infection goes away, its good for skin yer an athletes foot too.

Rob

Yup... loads of salt in the bathwater and some teatree oil afterwards. Teatree has loads of antibacterial properties, apply a few drops to the pierced area and spin the ring around so that some gets on the inside too (same goes for anti-biotic ointment if you choose to use that instead). Should clear up in a few days.

Best wishes,
Shawna

sweet_e

TRIBE Member
My bellyring got infected when i changed it to cheap jewelry , so i went back to were i got it done and the girl gave me this treament ointment that worked miracles. Within a week it was completely better and not only that it also got rid of the little scar tissue i had from the original jewelry.

So my advice ask a professional and defiantely dont use hydrogen peroxide on any piercing, it dries it out and makes it worse.

Sweet_e

Jennika

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by junglegirl
I found that my bellybutton piercing was getting infected frequently when I had a ring but when I changed to a barbell I never had an infection again - maybe you want to try that.

that is exactly what happened to me. I love my barbell :)

Temper Tantrum

TRIBE Member
You can re-act to new jewelry badly especially if it's the cheap Ardenes style.

I had that happen on my belly ring before. I went to a proper piercing place changed the jewelry and it was FINE afterwards.

FINE I TELL YOU ;)

Good luck.

~allie~