• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Industrial

nonlocal

TRIBE Member
Has Demdike Stare been mentioned in here? Great stuff. Loopy, sampled atmospheric stuff that I think is getting lumped in with 'witch house' but really puts me in mind of old industrial... like Coil, Cab Voltaire, Chris + Cosey, not the guitar samples and synth stabs stuff that seems to be dominating this thread.

Not that I don't have many a guitar loops and synths and yelling album in the archives too :)

WestsideWax

TRIBE Promoter
Heroic piece by the Cabs - probably my favourite:

[YOUTUBE]RflA10CwoJA[/YOUTUBE]

Still deadly as ever, some funky-assed shit right there...

[YOUTUBE]GzdPJzsv0Rc[/YOUTUBE]

Lizard Lounge/Catch 22 stylez:

[YOUTUBE]cDBnwV-wG4o[/YOUTUBE]

KodiaK

TRIBE Member
damn, I'm on a heavy Ministry kick lately.

I finally got a chance to check out that movie Fix - The Ministry movie.

Pretty good watch if you're a fan of the band. Mix of interviews from other bands, al, former ministry members, record producers, old behind the stage clips, live performances.

It's kinda like a mix of your typical band dvd release type stuff, but with a side of "this is how fucking crazy al is"

not really quite a documentary, kinda looses focus here and there. Decent watch.

alison87

TRIBE Member
Best Al quote ever: "It was a Cecil B. deMille kind of thing. Ben Hur. Chariots. Guitar players." <3

I like cheesy guitar loop industrial. NIN r0xed my teenage s0x. Charlie Clouser is God.

KodiaK

TRIBE Member
Best Al quote ever: "It was a Cecil B. deMille kind of thing. Ben Hur. Chariots. Guitar players." <3

I like cheesy guitar loop industrial. NIN r0xed my teenage s0x. Charlie Clouser is God.
well fuck, believe me when i say this........ cheesy guitar loop industrial was definitely NOT NIN's strong point...........trent just tried to kinda ride al's (ministry) coattails for a while........... In fact. for quite a while trent rode on al's nuts. Funny how history foregets about that.

If you wanted straight up robbery of riffs and funkery........ you went the other way like me...... towards KMFDM. Because, if you wanted the first band to rip off fucking SLAYER, might as well be KMFDM, because holy shit..... they did it pretty fucking soon..... as in... instantly:

Last edited:

KodiaK

TRIBE Member
i SHOULD have added what KMFDM sampled from back in the day from slayer.

It was from this "little known song" called "Angle of death"

The sample comes from the bridge into the chorus. KMFDM has used that riff in quite a few songs.
Slayer ~ Angel of Death (Lyrics) - YouTube
hit 1:40+ on the song. Congrats. You just got KMFDM's most famous thrash mosh pit song ever..........

oddmyth

TRIBE Member
Has Demdike Stare been mentioned in here? Great stuff. Loopy, sampled atmospheric stuff that I think is getting lumped in with 'witch house' but really puts me in mind of old industrial... like Coil, Cab Voltaire, Chris + Cosey, not the guitar samples and synth stabs stuff that seems to be dominating this thread.

Not that I don't have many a guitar loops and synths and yelling album in the archives too :)
If there's a witch house genre, then Demdike pretty much invented it.

Blackest Ever Black is a pretty amazing label for dark/dissonant stuff.
If you dig Demdike, but can enjoy a less 4/4 take then Vatican Shadow and Prurient are both doing some amazing shit. Both of them have releases on Hospital records, which is also home to some amazing techno (Silent Servants - Negative Fascination is on Hospital).

Rodz & Konez is another one of my favourite industro-techno labels, fucking lovely shit really.

Other shit I've been enjoying:

Violetshaped - which is ShapedNoise and Violet Poison together.

[SOUNDCLOUD]https://soundcloud.com/selftitledmag/needle-exchange-120[/SOUNDCLOUD]

Lots of other shit, but I'll stop there. First I've heard of the new SP album, I'm gonna have to take it for a spin today. VERY EXCITING!!!

alison87

TRIBE Member
well fuck, believe me when i say this........ cheesy guitar loop industrial was definitely NOT NIN's strong point...........trent just tried to kinda ride al's (ministry) coattails for a while........... In fact. for quite a while trent rode on al's nuts. Funny how history foregets about that.

If you wanted straight up robbery of riffs and funkery........ you went the other way like me...... towards KMFDM. Because, if you wanted the first band to rip off fucking SLAYER, might as well be KMFDM, because holy shit..... they did it pretty fucking soon..... as in... instantly:

Yeah i agree actually. Trent kinda became the whipping boy for everyone into "serious" (clanky machines) industrial, lumped in with all the guitar loop guys, but i always found his best work the more melodic and synthy stuff. Never liked Broken or Fixed even though i bought them, being a Halo completist at the time. I finally "got it" 10 years later when i saw NIN live for the first time - all those thrashy tunes are awesome in the mosh pit.

I don't have much other stuff from that era. I lived in Europe so ilistened to techno - i only read about Skinny Puppy, FLA, TKK, KMFDM etc online. Listening back now a lot of it sounds like "you had to be there" kinda music. I followed Charlie Clouser, though. His remixes on FDTS and Supersexy Swingin Sounds remain some of the best tracks i have ever heard. He has such a good sense of groove and is a complete fucking wizard in the studio. I wish he hadn't quit making music.

As well as Ministry, who of course motherfucking rock, another guitar loop band i liked was Godflesh. Fuckin slit yer wrists shit that was.

And somehow i ended up with a old copy of Nitzer Ebb's Showtime. Like i said, i tried FLA and Cubanate and some other stuff, but they didn't speak to me, but Showtime? Man. It's so spare, but there's something amazing there, wish all EBM was like this.

What really ended up being my favorite was the psytrance guys who did EBM:

Too bad VAC came along and managed to make the worst of both worlds.

KodiaK

TRIBE Member
BEEN LOVING THE FUCK OUT OF THE NEW SKINNY PUPPY ALBUM!!!

lets put it this way... mythmaker and handover.... wait? they exist? That's pretty much what i think about those albums. Still love the living shit out of the greater wrong of the right. But those other 2 albums can well quite frankly....... go eat a dick.

Weapon?

goddamn. This is some oldschool sounding shit, with a touch of the greater wrong of the right. Not only that............ loves me some analogue electronics. Even when KMFDM switched backed to the oldschool shit i loved it (too bad their latest album sucked a major bag of dicks). But more and more groups in this scene are going back to the oldschool. Fucking game on!!!

speaking of that too... the new Spetsnaz Album fucking OWNS as well. Been digging the shit out of that album for a couple of months now.

I'm glad SP went back to an oldschool sound with this. It's a fucking great goddamn album. Been blasting the LIVING SHIT out of it in my car. The escapees from toronto at the stop lights in my shitty town have been looking at me pretty weird at stoplights while i jam out to shit like illicit, salvo, and plasicage.

oh wait, speaking of spetsnaz..... If you want that oldschool front 242 or nitzer ebb sound..... spetsnaz is your group. These motherfuckers NEVER change. Been a long time since 2007's Deadpan album (one of my all time favs), and i fucking love their newest album too, so i might as well give it due while i'm gushing over Weapon from SP:

oh well, 2 out of 3 new albums in the wide industrial genera early on in this year for me that are home runs. Shame about the kmfdm, but eh...... knew what to expect to begin with.

either way... muthafucking spetsnaz. Shit, i still remember people giving me shit for liking spetsnaz back in the day when i attended the darkraves. I told them all to go eat a fucking dick..... all those faggots liked NIN anyways.... How can you hate this stuff?!?!
Just bouncy ass oldschool fun, and spetsnaz is literally one of the only groups that keep "this" sound alive these days.

alison87

TRIBE Member
Those Spetsnaz tunes rock. But he should really be singing about cybernetics or virtual reality or something.

One of my favorite EBM albums is one i actually got as a promo back in the day, by some band called Crash A/D (http://www.discogs.com/Crash-AD-Thermal-System/release/309036). I never found anything about them online, but they were straight-up analog synth lines, 4-to-the-floor kicks and angry lyrics. Like Cubanate except less shit.