• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Indoor Cannabis Growing Tips and Tricks, Successes and Failures.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
Now that my backyard 4 plants are harvested, trimmed, and curing, I set my sights on the dead of winter. I got so much joy in the early spring starting those plants in the basement, as winter dragged on. Just watching them grow under a crappy light cheered me up as the pandemic rolled across the world. I remember going down there and sitting next to the plants and it instantly raising my spirits.

Now that I have a small grow tent, a good light, some duct hose and a good inline fan I am all set to hopefully bring some new life into the house over the winter.

I also bought an Aerogarden hydroponic unit to start my seeds last year because I've always had trouble germinating any kind of seed. The Watcher recommended these Aerogarden devices and they are perfect for starting vegetable seeds AND cannabis seeds. They have a built in light and pump to circulate nutrients all in a tabletop device. The only downside is the little grow sponges they use are proprietary and expensive. But whatever. The device germinates 99.9% of my seeds so I'm happy. The sprouts also seem to develop robust root systems in the Aerogarden. You have to be careful to transpant them before too many roots grow in the device and make it difficult to remove the seedling from the device. I damaged roots in the spring because I left the seedlings in too long and had to cut away roots to get the plants out to transplant. You don't want to do this.

I planted a Dosidos hybrid (photoperiod) and Moby Dick Auto, both from CANUK seeds. Both germinated although the Dosidos seemd to be very scrawny and was producing odd aerial roots up the stem. I thought it would die. I transplanted them into their own large pots with a growing mix that works for me. In each pot:

1 large bag triple mix (Farard) - 3/1 All Purpose Planting Mix - Scotts Fafard
1/2 a bag of Perlite (Fafard) - Perlite - Scotts Fafard

I transplanted the Dosidos deeper into my growing mix, to cover those aerial roots and it seems to have survived. The Moby Dick is growing quickly and it's only been a couple of weeks. I will post pics.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
I am using a Mars Hydro 3X3 tent and a Mars Hydro TSW 2000 Light.

The tent has a lot of sealable ventilation openings all around at top and bottom. As the weather warmed in the Spring I used hose and an inline ventilation fan to suck hot air out of the top of the tent and directed it into the hole in my brickwork made by the clothes dryer hose, with a 4" "Y" fitting and a one way flap to keep clothes dryer air from pumping into the tent. Worked great and kept the temp inside below 30 C.

But now it is cool in the basement and I just opened all the lower vents and all the upper vents in the tent so it is like a giant chimney sucking air out the top by convection. Temp inside is 24 C, and I am capturing the heat from the tent instead of pumping it outdoors, which will make my heating bill lower this winter. If I can get away with this airflow setup all winter I will be happy. If I have to add the fan, I will exhaust the air into the basement.

I have a really good dehumidifier, and it was running all summer, taking humidity out of the basement. I saved most of this water, which I will use to water the plants.

JCrack

TRIBE Member
I logged in for the first time in 6 years just to reply, lol. I've just finished getting my tent all set up and looking forward to my first grow in a long time so I will be checking back on this thread to see your progress/share tips.

I have a Lumo-X 4 x 2 x 5 tent with a Spider Farmer SF-2000 W LED light and a 4 inch IOBIONICS intake fan and filter that I vent out a top floor window (attached an exterior dryer vent exhaust which will be secured in place by those thermal plastic window coverings that you shrink with a hairdryer - one of my last steps to complete). Will be mostly going the organic route and using Fox Farms Happy Frog/Perlite/Myco mix as growing medium in fabric 3 gallon pots.

I also got seeds from CANUK - UK Cheese feminized autos and they threw in some hash plant as a bonus. Once i get things going maybe we can swap clones or something.

Anyway, good luck growing and looking forward to seeing progress pics!

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
Out of the hydroponic seed germinator and into the big pots. This is last week's pic. The dosidos photoperiod is on the left, the moby dick auto on the right. Establishing well. I am running the lights at 12 hours on / 12 hours off. Purists will say that the photoperiod strain needs more than 12 hours of light a day to produce a good harvest, but we'll see what happens.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
I am using a starter fertilizer by Plant-Prod at 1/2 strength once a week. This one:

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
What a difference a week makes. That fertilizer I mentioned above used to come in small jars at Canadian Tire or a nursery, not the giant bag pictured. You only need tiny amounts. Anyway:

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
I should have started some lettuce or greens a few weeks before to take advantage of the now available light, because in a few weeks there will probably be a shitload of leaves. I am starting som basil so i will put it in there too for a while. Nothing like fresh basil in the winter.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
These plants seem to do their growing during the dark cycle. I've raised the dosidos closer to the light to see if that gives her a bit of extra pep.