• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Indigo pulls Harper's Magazine over Danish cartoons

Subsonic Chronic

TRIBE Member
Indigo pulls controversial Harper's off the shelves

JAMES ADAMS

Globe and Mail Update

Canada's largest retail bookseller has removed all copies of the June issue of Harper's Magazine from its 260 stores, claiming an article by New York cartoonist Art Spiegelman could foment protests similar to those that occurred this year in reaction to the publication in a Danish newspaper of cartoons depicting the Prophet Mohammed.

Indigo Books and Music took the action this week when its executives noticed that the 10-page Harper's article, titled Drawing Blood, reproduced all 12 cartoons first published last September by Jyllands-Posten (The Morning Newspaper).

The article also contains five cartoons, including one by Mr. Spiegelman and two by Israelis, “inspired” by an Iranian newspaper's call in February for an international Holocaust cartoon contest “to test the limits of Western tolerance of free speech.”

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20060526.wxchapters27/BNStory/Entertainment/home

Just heard this on CBC so I cheked it out.

Dumb move IMO, I have this particular issue and the piece is hardly offensive, it's just an attempt to examine their impact and show everyone what the big deal was all about, and is hardly the kind of thing that fans the flames of hatred.

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

Subsonic Chronic

TRIBE Member
speaking of which, it's Sunday morning and I feel like a little breakfast treat. I'm gonna wander down to the bakery and ask for a Rose of the Prophet Mohammed.

Boss Hog

TRIBE Member
Subsonic Chronic said:
Dumb move IMO, I have this particular issue and the piece is hardly offensive, it's just an attempt to examine their impact and show everyone what the big deal was all about, and is hardly the kind of thing that fans the flames of hatred.

Yup.

Have I mentioned yet today that I hate Heather Reisman?

SellyCat

TRIBE Member
Honestly, that cartoon was really not that offensive, especially in comparison to the cartoon published in one of the University of Toronto newspapers. it showed Jesus and Mohammed MAKING OUT on a little cano going down a river into the "Tunnel of Tollerance".

Now THAT'S a lot worse.