• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Indie88.1

stryker

TRIBE Member
Surprised there hasn't been a thread about them yet. Even though the old 88.1 was taken off the air I would stop by while scanning the radio. Which happened A LOT because the radio sucks.

The past month has been pretty hectic and has involved thousands of km's in the car. The only thing worse than the drive is the crap radio options in the GTA, resulting in non-stop scanning of the dial for anything decent.

I got snared with their 3 days of Rick Astley and gave them a chance on their opening day. I haven't changed the dial since. I'm really happy with their programming and the Throne of Glory segment has been great.

Hopefully they'll be able to keep it up. It would be a crying shame if they ended up sucking like 102.1.

stew :)

Spinsah

TRIBE Member
It's not bad! Had it locked on the way to the cottage a few weeks ago and was suitably impressed with the range across indie genres and time periods. A bit too much contemporary pop rock for my liking (but CBC Drive is guilty of this too).

sianspherica

TRIBE Member
Really happy it's around, I've been listening a lot since the launch earlier in the month.

One thing I really hope they stop, is playing mainstream rock shit.

I don't listen to Edge102 because I couldn't give a shit about Mumford and Suns, Lumineers, The Killers, The Black Keys.

They play a fair amount of Canadian "indie" rock music, but there is still way too much Edge102 style shit.

I thought an indie rock station would play classic indie rock and they don't really, at all.

They play former indie bands' biggest major label hits, which is boring to me.

I don't need to hear Pulp and Oasis when Edge plays that shit, yet I've never heard Fucked Up, Sonic Youth, Pavement, Modest Mouse (only their two biggest hits), or anything slightly alternative like Godspeed or Sigur Ros or Mogwai or Explosions in the Sky.

tobywan

TRIBE Member
It's pretty good, though I still find myself attracted to specific block programs available in the GTA compared to genre-centric stations.

Top 3 fave shows (in no particular order) are Global Rhythms with Ken Stauer on 89.5fm (Sundays 3pm-6pm), Cafe Latino with Laura Fernandez on 91.1fm (Saturdays 4pm-6pm) and The Signal with Laurie Brown on CBC Radio 2 (Mon-Sat nights 10pm-12am).

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Lojack

TRIBE Member
Thanks for the tip, I listened to it tonight while stuck in traffic, and despite my channel surfing ways, I found myself listen to it more than other stations. It has potential.

-- L

Lojack

TRIBE Member
LOL, the sound you heard was your brain re-engaging.

PS- Really liked "Enemies" by Hannah Georgas. It's so nice to have to pay attention to a song for a change.

sianspherica

TRIBE Member
I like listening to this radio station from Detroit.

89X - Home - The Only New Rock Alternative

They don't play a lot of mainstream.. They play a lot of grunge/alternative that we all grew up listening to.. old Smashing Pumpkins, Alice in Chains, Nirvana etc.
check out the internet radio station "181.FM 90's Alternative" if you want to hear more stuff like that, no commercials. It's great because they won't just play the BIGGEST hits by each band, they also do lots of great 90's alterna tunes people may have forgotten.

if you have Sirius, the "Lithium" channel is all 90's Alt Rock.

/also lives in the past

greginhali

TRIBE Member
It's pretty good, though I still find myself attracted to specific block programs available in the GTA compared to genre-centric stations.

Top 3 fave shows (in no particular order) are Global Rhythms with Ken Stauer on 89.5fm (Sundays 3pm-6pm), Cafe Latino with Laura Fernandez on 91.1fm (Saturdays 4pm-6pm) and The Signal with Laurie Brown on CBC Radio 2 (Mon-Sat nights 10pm-12am).
great post. I find certain time slots across the dial to be the way to listen to the radio. If any one else has some favourites post them up here. Great way to find new music.

Spinsah

TRIBE Member
I still ain't mad at Indie88, but I really hope they stop playing that whack song with the lyric "you can call queen bee" - that's some CHFI bullshit right there.

Karim

TRIBE Member
I've been listening to this for the past 2 weeks and I enjoyed it, however now the playlist is starting to get pretty repetitive and I'm getting tired of a number of songs...

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

stryker

TRIBE Member
I still ain't mad at Indie88, but I really hope they stop playing that whack song with the lyric "you can call queen bee" - that's some CHFI bullshit right there.
She's some New Zealand Pop Idol contestant.

This was the first weekend with their full programming. I give it a 6/10. I spent another weekend driving around the city and was able to listen four about 6 hours in total. 2.5 hours were good, the other 3.5 was Edge102 crap. It was the first time since they've launched that I changed the dial.

stew

tobywan

TRIBE Member
Let me add to that the Strombo show on from 8pm-11pm on CBC Radio 94.1fm on Sunday nights...just started as I write this.

He plays everying from Junior Boys to Johnny Cash.

I'm pretty fine with the station and their music selection is very similar to what AUX TV plays (not surprisingly, Alan Cross has involvement with them too). Wide variety of genres, not afraid to throw in some old school Cure/Depeche Mode/other "alternative" with the mix of the odd fringe pop song here and there.

I'm cool with it so far - not all the music is my bag, but I like that their playlists are driven more by request than anything else.