• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

[indie/post-punk/pop] Chubbs - Punch and Pie

Chubbs

TRIBE Member

Right-Click/Save As: [MP3] | [CUE]

Don't be expecting flawless mixes here or anything. Originally this started out as a CD of tunes for a friend, then after a few friends asked for a few CD's (damn friends with no internet) I decided I might as well (lazily) mix it all together. And hey, its rock. Noone mixes rock. Almost.

Anyways this is pretty much a good summary of what I'm listening too now, its a nice change of pace from all the electronica thats flooded my brain for the last few years, but as I'm sure you'll notice, theres alot of synths going off in these songs, especially in the later half of the mix. Anyways, lemme break it down track by track:

01| Final Fantasy - The Dream of Win and Regime
Owen is a great guy, and this guy has such talent. He does the string arrangements for The Arcade Fire, and when he's not too busy with that, hes working away on this solo project. Final Fantasy (great name btw) is a one man show. Using only a drum loop, a violin and a looping effects pedal, Owen meticulously layers pattern after pattern of violin goodness, and turns it into something that really has to be seen as well as heard. Usually his stuff is a little more mellow and folky, but I think this uptemo number is truly where he shines. (P.S. Go check him out on June 25th)

02| The Arcade Fire - Rebellion (Lies)
It took me a long time to finally get into the Arcade Fire, I gave them a listen when they were the new "in" band, and dismissed them pretty quickly, but after months and months, they slowly festered into my earlobes, and soon enough I couldn't get their songs out of my head. Rebellion is one of those tracks that always gets me singing along in my head, its a nice feelgood track filled with background "aahs", and soothing strings.

03| Broken Social Scene - Cause = Time
Broken Social Scene makes me hard. Another band that has to be seen and heard, 13 guys (I think at last count) jamming out at once, but still creating melodies that arn't lost in a sonic swarm. I love these guys, and can't wait to see them on the island this summer again.

04| The Arcade Fire - Neighbourhood #3 (Power Out)
Couldn't help myself, had to toss one more in.

05| The Futureheads - Meantime
This is where the mix starts picking up the energy and tempo, this track almost hit the cutting floor, as it annoys me a little now, but I can't decide if it's because I've listened to it so many times.

06| controller.controller - History
This is the perfect definition of what "Death Disco" is to me. A solid disco style bassline creates the beat for wailing guitars and sultry vocals. Mmmmm.

07| Bloc Party - Banquet
I've played this song so many times it hurts. I think I hate this song. But I remember the first 1000 times I heard it, I LOVED it. So basically I'm hoping you havent gotten sick of this track yet, because I'm starting to hear it everywhere (Anyone remember Hey Ya or I like the way you move?)

08| Les Savy Fav - Sweat Descends
This is my fav track right now, on or off the mix. A simple guitar riff opens the track, but man, this song drops nice and heavy. By the end its just an all out sonic assault on all fronts. Apparently these guys put on quite the show, I know I'll be first in line if and when they come to town next.

09| Kaiser Chiefs - I Predict a Riot
This track has an oldschool punk vibe to it, but mixes the old with the new quite nicely. I'm not really a big fan out these guys, but I really enjoyed this track, so I tossed it in.

10| The Faint - Southern Belles In London Sing
Synth-heavy pop-punk. Short and sweet.

11| Louis XIV - Paper Doll
I think I like the video more than the song. But how can you not? Video (NSFW)

12| Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Maps
This song is so nice. I love Karen O.

13| The Postal Service - Such Great Heights
If you've seen Garden State, or listened to the Soundtrack, you will have heard the Iron and Wine cover of this song. But this original is so much better. Uptempo synthpop, almost drum and bass, but not.

14| The Knife - Heartbeats
Beautiful Tune. Perfect beat. Perfect vocal. This track is just amazing. Crunchy gothic electro pop at its finest.

15| Annie - My Heatbeat
Unf. Just when you think those damn scandinavians (The Knife) cant make synth-pop any better, they do. Annie drops such a sweet and shy vocal down on this royskopp produced beat. This is where pop music is *hopefully* going, step aside Kylie, step aside Madonna, Annie is the new Queen of Pop.

16| The Go! Team - Ladyflash
The Go! Team just makes great fun instrumental tracks. Actually I think theres a vocal in here, but whatever. This stuff is just fun summer music. I could dance all night long to their stuff.

17| Frou Frou - Let Go
I hated this song when I first heard it, the vocal just didn't do it for me, but the Drowning-esque synth line makes me want more more more. Now I like the vocal too!

oeretS

TRIBE Member
nice dude, all about this shit. i tried to do something similar recently and it tanked large, hopefully you had better luck;)

will be on the iriver tomorrow, thanks

Fluke Skywalker

TRIBE Member
It's always been good. More and more of it is making it into the mainstream is all that's changed. I dont know what "indie" rock you've been listening to...

Mrs. Pink

TRIBE Member
listened to this twice today, really enjoyed it. not a dull moment on this mix, chubbs nice job!

this is rich btw aka oeretS

chipotle

Well-Known TRIBEr
08| Les Savy Fav - Sweat Descends

This is a good song.

I didn't really like the mix with the exception of some songs.. I have heard some of those many times and others I just didn't like.

Good effort though.

Chubbs

TRIBE Member
Thanks for all the positive feedback (and backhanded compliments). Good to see that theres a large crew that enjoys a mix that isn't straight up house/techno/dnb/whatever.

I've got another mix of 80's new-wave and rock and shit that I'll toss up today once I double-check my bandwidth (some russian site linked my last mix and raped 223gigs of bandwidth :(

Hope you enjoy it :)

cosmiK-Cat

TRIBE Member
thumbs up! That first track is loverly!
-J
*now if I can stop accidentally hitting the fwd button on my mp3 I could hear all of it...

Aerius Zension

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Chubbs
Thanks for all the positive feedback (and backhanded compliments). Good to see that theres a large crew that enjoys a mix that isn't straight up house/techno/dnb/whatever.

I've got another mix of 80's new-wave and rock and shit that I'll toss up today once I double-check my bandwidth (some russian site linked my last mix and raped 223gigs of bandwidth :(

Hope you enjoy it :)

I'm really liking this choice of music too. A lot of it is what I'm listening, or what I'll be listening to.

Did you ever get that 80's mix posted?

Chubbs

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Aerius Zension
I'm really liking this choice of music too. A lot of it is what I'm listening, or what I'll be listening to.

Did you ever get that 80's mix posted?
I've been a lazy bum. I'll upload it to my webhost today, expect it online later in the afternoon.

H2Whoa

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by chipotle
I didn't really like the mix with the exception of some songs.. I have heard some of those many times and others I just didn't like.

Good effort though.
A great review from an expert in non-electronic music.

Chump.

I like it Connor. Nice work.

Kalemic

TRIBE Promoter
I forgot to say thanks for the mix earlier! Great collection of songs, I've given its some repeat plays. Thanks Connor!

zoo

TRIBE Member
hmm, gave this one a listen

while i love all the songs themselves, the mixes really detract from the compilation (especially the ones that mud-up the tunes), and i'm sure you sort of feel this way anyway as indicated by all your "mixing not so good" comments

why didn't you just upload this one as a zip file with the individual tracks renamed in order, or perhaps an un-mixed single mp3 with appropriate 2 second gaps?

anyway, you have great taste in music, keep up the effort :)

Mephisto

TRIBE Member
generally i'll d/l a mix from this forum before i go away on a layover somewhere and toss it on the ipod as i walk around whatever city i'm in.

well i gave this mix a listen in charlo, n.b.

and new york

and boston

and chicago

and jersey

and i'll probably be rocking it out in alabama next week too. the tracklist kicks ass and while they don't lend themselves to being mixed together, they flow into one another well enough for my ears. nice work dude, keep on doin what your doin.

zoo

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Chubbs
15| Annie - My Heatbeat
Unf. Just when you think those damn scandinavians (The Knife) cant make synth-pop any better, they do. Annie drops such a sweet and shy vocal down on this royskopp produced beat. This is where pop music is *hopefully* going, step aside Kylie, step aside Madonna, Annie is the new Queen of Pop.
some more things about the woman i've been praising for 4 years now ..

- her longtime boyfriend died before ANNIEMAL was released, which is why there are so many 'sad' moments or lyrics throughout it, though they are somewhat deeper than surface listening

- fellow norwegians royksopp helped produce much of the album

- due to the phenomenal success of her album in europe, annie assembled a band and took the show to the road .. she's been touring every festival all summer, and i'm hoping against hope that she'll make it to toronto

- one night in oslo in june i was sitting around with my girlfriend and a bunch of norwegians playing playstation 2 karoake, and i was in competition mode with this particular song (heartbeat by annie) against a native norwegian, and i beat her by almost double the points! she was pretty mad a canadian beat her at a norwegian song, but she obviously underestimated my lyric memorization skill :)