1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

INCOMING! Boatload of Tamils

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by alexd, Aug 12, 2010.

When a boatload of refugees attempts to enter Canadian waters, Canada should:

Poll closed Sep 12, 2010.
  1. Allow it to land, release the passengers and process them as refugees

6 vote(s)
  2. Allow it to land, detain the passengers and investigate each b4 processing as refugees

36 vote(s)
  3. Turn the boat around at sea by force and keep it out of Canadian waters

28 vote(s)
  4. Guide the boat to a 3rd country, passengers would be detained there while refugee hearings processed

2 vote(s)
  1. alexd

alexd Administrator Staff Member

I thought everything was all cool over there now after they killed off Velupillai Prabhakaran, aka Tony the Tiger, and declared that the war to be over.

If these are just economic refugees, can't we just send them back by plane so they can follow the proper protocols to immigrate to Canada?

I think if we keep them we will be giving human smugglers the green light to keep doing this.
  2. Ho||yw0oD

Ho||yw0oD TRIBE Member

3. alexd

I just saw on the national that they are setting up this huge dockside triage medical clinic and freeing up hospital beds for the 500 refugee claimants.

Olivia Chow was just on saying how they are entitled to a refugee hearing because that is the law. Well OK, but what kind of message does this send to others in immigration waiting lists (my parents who followed the proper procedure to immigrate to canada which took a long long time). What percent of refugees that are trafficked into Canada actually are refused refugee status I wonder...

Also, finding an empty hospital bed in Canada is really tough at the best of times. I wonder were they are putting all those people they are kicking out of the hospital beds in BC to make room for these people.... Hotels?
  4. basketballjones

basketballjones TRIBE Member

fuel them up, give them aid and food and turn them back the way they came from
  5. unique2100

unique2100 TRIBE Promoter

So are you proposing we show them our Canadian hospitality G20 style?
  6. tripleup

tripleup TRIBE Member

Wish our super awesome diesel submarines simply torpedoed them as soon as they entered our waters.

Have to keep up our new post Olympic and G20 rep after all.
  7. green_souljah

green_souljah TRIBE Member

Yeeep, being treated in BC, and then they are handed a meal card and a one way VIA rail ticket to Scarborough or Beautiful Brampton.

I do feel for them though in all fairness, could you imagine spending 45 days on some rickety old ship with an unknown destination? Life at home must have been pretty bad.
  8. LeoGirl

LeoGirl TRIBE Member

New World Order.
  9. acheron

acheron TRIBE Member

we should leave some police cars just sitting around in their midst... you know, see if any of them burn them up. THEN we can throw them all out.
  10. alexd

maybe i should do a pole
  11. Destiny Productions

Destiny Productions TRIBE Promoter

They are actually re-opening a closed wing of a local hospital, so while nobody in Canada is losing out on medical services they are certainly costing us a lot of $$...

12. Ho||yw0oD

Ho||yw0oD TRIBE Member

Would you care for some lube? :D
  13. acheron

acheron TRIBE Member

old TRIBE joke... we spell it "pole" here.
  14. alexd

We are also paying their legal bills for the lawyers at their refugee hearings! Oh Canada!
  15. Ho||yw0oD

Ho||yw0oD TRIBE Member

This is really such a sticky situation for the government. On the one hand, you have countless people waiting in the immigration queue who are obeying proper process. On the other hand, we have immigrants who have come a long way and, if they would qualify for refugee status, turning them away is illegal according to Canadian immigration law.

For me, the big thing is not compromising the existing process for immigration. With that said, I personally believe each immigrant must be detained in a correctional facility until their background can be verified. Any children will have to be put in temporary foster care or an orphanage.

While I think their cases should not be expedited, I can understand why the government wants to do such a thing. Holding these people in a correctional facility or a hotel w/ meal cards, etc. is very costly. My problem though is that if you make a habit of giving this type of treatment to those that jump the queue, do we now compromise the existing process and promote further line-butting?

There needs to be some sort of disincentive for this. Send them to G20 Eastern Avenue Detention Centre for a week?
  16. Ho||yw0oD

Ho||yw0oD TRIBE Member

Why? Forgive the noob.
  17. alexd

no real reason
  18. Ho||yw0oD

Ho||yw0oD TRIBE Member

Just as long as we don't have any more crazy Tamil protests.

At first glance, I thought these were Hamilton Ti-Cat pep rallies.
  19. alexd

What is the point of the Canadian Navy if it can't keep a slow moving freighter outside of Canadian waters.
  20. alexd

It takes 4 years or more to process a refugee claim in Canada
  21. ndrwrld

ndrwrld TRIBE Member

our international laws don't let us deny any ships carrying refugees coming into Canadian Waters. mostly all Tamils on previous ships came directly to Toronto to live.
    welcome to Canada.
  22. alexd

A Tamil dude I know tells me that most of these people left Sri Lanka because they believe that they will never get their own independent Tamil state within Sri Lanka anymore because they lost the war, and the balance are coming for economic reasons.
  23. ScottBentley

ScottBentley TRIBE Member

cool for who though?

I would think that the Tamils would be in even more danger of persecution now.
  24. Ho||yw0oD

Ho||yw0oD TRIBE Member

The Tamils should've taken a lesson from Canadian history though. You can still lose a big war, remain semi-autonomous for a couple hundred years and gradually become the spoiled brat of your country. Just look at the Quebecois.
  25. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

I dunno, I work with a few Sri Lankans and I don't see how we don't benefit from all of em comin here and havin to buy food and shelter and clothes (ie, spend money in the economy) and then get jobs and pay taxes...

There's a lot of em here for them to learn the ropes from - am I missing something? Even if it takes an investment for a while to get them on their feet fact is we're stronger for them in the long run.