• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

In THE SlumP.

G-FrEsH

TRIBE Promoter
Has anyone ever felt like they just didn't feel like spinning for a bit. Where you start playing and you have no idea's, you just dun feel like playing.

Where you feel like youre in the SlumP. What a slump is i dunno, but thats just what it feels like.

This has happened to me On and off all the time ever since i started djing, but its been worse ever since i went back to school. Ive had no time at all to play out. I can't even play at home. And this semester of school really isn't helping either.

I so can't wait till this slump goes away... The many ideas i have in my head to lay it out on the decks.. **sigh** ** looks at watch, and a calendar **

I know there are people on this board that feel the same way.

DAvo..

Last edited:

funkinbeats

TRIBE Member
hahaha, I was waiting for a thread like this....

yeah, I'm going through a mega slump. I have been since say last october. Just working alot and other stuff going on in my life right now. However, I still do shop for records periodically.

I think as the weather gets warmer or when myself and my buddy throw our next party in Feb, my slump will end.

ethnik

TRIBE Member
i was in a major funk last year from feb-may, then i decided to take the entire summer off. no record buying, no cd listening, no more playing out, no more production, NOTHING. it helped that i decided to work in the outdoors away from civilisation for 4 months though!

when i decided to get back on the horse as they say, i was SUPER ENERGIZED. i was also lucky enough to score a few quality gigs right when i got going again. put all those things together, and i have been on a creative TEAR ever since then. and no coincidence, the quality of my dj'ing and producing has grown by leaps and bounds, as has my enthusiasm!

it think it is just a normal, ebb and flow type of thing. i say take a short (or long as in my case) break away from everything music, and i am pretty sure that all of a sudden it will just all click in your brain as to when to come back.

SENSEi

TRIBE Promoter
I find that sometimes circumstances around you can bring you down.

Spinning had always made me feel good, especially when in front of a crowd. I've always loved doing it, and feel that I've made a lot of people happy while doing it.

But sometimes, the politics, the circumstances and the bullshit you have to deal with can just make you want to run away.

I hate the fact that something I love so much, is so cut throat in nature. I often wish that people would support each other for the right reasons. I don't think there's enough of that right now.

If you are truly passionate about the music, you will get through the slump, and spin once again.

:)

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

~decepticon~

TRIBE Promoter
you need to get some motivation going. I know myself the best things that work are to listen to someone that has incredible talent or to watch footage of large shows. It always gets me inspired to get on the decks and do some shit :)

funkinbeats

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by SENSEi
But sometimes, the politics, the circumstances and the bullshit you have to deal with can just make you want to run away.

I hate the fact that something I love so much, is so cut throat in nature. I often wish that people would support each other for the right reasons. I don't think there's enough of that right now.
Yeah, I find this totally discourages me from spinning and makes me think sometimes where I should just give it all up and sell everything. I wish people wouldn't put djs who are just starting down, but rather encourage them to be better djs.

dvs

TRIBE Promoter
Originally posted by dj frigid
Yeah, I find this totally discourages me from spinning and makes me think sometimes where I should just give it all up and sell everything. I wish people wouldn't put djs who are just starting down, but rather encourage them to be better djs.
it's all about networking with the RIGHT people who are involved in this scene in one way or another because they LOVE the music and really want to create a sense of community by being supportive, collaborative and generally open-minded (or becoming one of those people)... really, isn't that what it should be all about??

dan
b9 productions

Bloom! Productions

TRIBE Member
great words of advice and reflection by everyone!

Sometimes, the politics, the circumstances and the bullshit you have to deal with can just make you want to run away.

If you are truly passionate about the music, you will get through the slump, and spin once again.
yes, often, the scene can really get on you and bring you down. the politics are difficult to deal with (especially if you're peaceful and real) but you gotta push on through. tracks like, *keep pushin' on, things are gonna get better, it won't be long, keep on pushin' to the top* always keep me moving forward. if the people where i'm playing are liking the music, that also keeps me positive.

it's really hard when you're playing and no one in the place is feeling it (or dancing to it, anyway). it's like playing for an empty room (or in your bedroom), it can be really frustrating. wanting to run away is a feeling we've all experienced but if we do that, we're giving up. starting your own night is a definite alternative!

when the music really goes off and people are really going off to it and feeling it - that's when the slump ends, when we get re-energized through the music.

be passionate about the music (feel what you play) and it is inevitable that you will get through the slump. well said!

in my 11 years of playing, there have been a few slumps and there may be more... BUT as long as i keep it real to myself and only play music that i really like (not caring about what other people think) i can't foresee many more slumps in my future.

i'm gonna have my turntables and records for the rest of my life and pass them on to my kids!

peace,
deeno

* lyrics from inaya day's - keep pushin'

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

SENSEi

TRIBE Promoter
Originally posted by Bloom! Productions
yes, often, the scene can really get on you and bring you down. the politics are difficult to deal with (especially if you're peaceful and real) but you gotta push on through. tracks like, *keep pushin' on, things are gonna get better, it won't be long, keep on pushin' to the top* always keep me moving forward. if the people where i'm playing are liking the music, that also keeps me positive.

it's really hard when you're playing and no one in the place is feeling it (or dancing to it, anyway). it's like playing for an empty room (or in your bedroom), it can be really frustrating. wanting to run away is a feeling we've all experienced but if we do that, we're giving up. starting your own night is a definite alternative!

when the music really goes off and people are really going off to it and feeling it - that's when the slump ends, when we get re-energized through the music.

be passionate about the music (feel what you play) and it is inevitable that you will get through the slump. well said!
I hear what you're saying.

Spinning when it's dead is a drag, but we all have to do it.
As long as you enjoy spinning, then you can make the best of it.

Many times I've spun a great set and have left feeling on top of the world. Often I'd recieve serious props and often offers for more gigs and sponsorship.

But more often then not those moments seem forgotten very quickly, and nothing really comes from them. This can be a real drag.

When you work so hard to get where you are, and you can't seem to get any momentum, it can really weigh you down.

But, it is still worth it.
It's always worth it.

When it's not worth it to you, then it's time to walk away.

G-FrEsH

TRIBE Promoter
^^^^ thats the greatest feeling.. when you know you played good and b4 you try to leave the venue. a shit load of people want to shake your hand and give you props for the set.

DAvo..

djnova

TRIBE Promoter
we need a place in toronto for all of us to come and hang out and check each other spinnin during the day instead of walkin around town spendin money on useless shit :D

Housey D

TRIBE Member
I know exactly what you guys are talkin' about.

My bf stopped spinning for like 6 months, just lost interest, too much school yadda yadda.
Which sucked for me, cause he was my source for hearin' music!
But after his break, he came back re-energized, and loves it more then ever.
Sometime you just need a break from something you love, to fully appreciate it.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

funkinbeats

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by dvs
it's all about networking with the RIGHT people who are involved in this scene in one way or another because they LOVE the music and really want to create a sense of community by being supportive, collaborative and generally open-minded (or becoming one of those people)... really, isn't that what it should be all about??

dan
b9 productions
I don't have many friends who love the house as much as I do. :\

funkinbeats

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by djnova
we need a place in toronto for all of us to come and hang out and check each other spinnin during the day instead of walkin around town spendin money on useless shit :D
I'm only downtown if I have to be (ie. - buying records). :p

But I know what you're getting @, and I think that's a pretty damn good idea!

tEkKiD

TRIBE Promoter

in my 11 years of playing, there have been a few slumps and there may be more... BUT as long as i keep it real to myself and only play music that i really like (not caring about what other people think) i can't foresee many more slumps in my future.

i'm gonna have my turntables and records for the rest of my life and pass them on to my kids!

peace,
deeno

[/B]

not quite at 11 years but this post Deeno is spot on my take...

i find also i tend to lose interest when absolute garbage is being put out... thank god for classics and im thankful of my huge *techno* selection..... but as you said, its those sets when everyone is going off keeps yah going! :)

nice thread!

ez,

sd.

physix

TRIBE Member
I hear what you're saying.

Spinning when it's dead is a drag, but we all have to do it.
As long as you enjoy spinning, then you can make the best of it.
what i've always been fortunate to have was like, even
in a dead night, you have like 3 or 4 people that you can
Dj to.... like...

there was this kid... he was rolling, but hey... beggars
can't be choosers... and he was lovin' every minute of
my set... so, even tho' it was a big huge dance hall that
could fit easily 2000 people, and only 100 people were
there, i could play to him -- maybe even FOR him -- and
it made the night bearable...

i always try and do that... regardless of the # of people
at the event, i try and isolate 2 or 3 people that i play
for... make THEM move... make THEM smile... the rest
will come into play. like a trickle down effect.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

djnova

TRIBE Promoter

peace,
deeno

deeno

did u pick up that ATFC remixes or whatever?