1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

in russia we drink & smoke to improve social conditions..

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by derek, Sep 1, 2010.

1. derek

derek TRIBE Member

Russians urged to smoke, drink more

Wed Sep 1, 11:14 AM
    MOSCOW (AFP) - Smoke and drink more, Russia's finance minister Alexei Kudrin urged citizens on Wednesday, explaining that higher consumption would help lift tax revenues for spending on social services.

"If you smoke a pack of cigarettes, that means you are giving more to help solve social problems such as boosting demographics, developing other social services and upholding birth rates," Kudrin said, quoted by the Interfax news agency.

"People should understand: Those who drink, those who smoke are doing more to help the state," he said, offering unconventional advice as the Russian government announced plans to raise excise duty on alcohol and cigarettes.

Alcohol and cigarette consumption are already extremely high in Russia, where 65 percent of men smoke and the average Russian consumes 18 litres of alcoholic beverages per year, mainly vodka, according to official statistics.

Russian duties on cigarettes are among the lowest in Europe, with most brands priced at around 40 rubles (one euro, 1.30 dollars) per pack and unfiltered cigarettes selling for much less.

The finance ministry in June announced plans to more than double excise duty on cigarettes over the next three years from 250 roubles per 1,000 filtered cigarettes to 590 roubles in 2013.

The move is likely to be unpopular in the nicotine-addicted nation where a cigarette shortage in the late 1980s and early 1990s incited protests and led then-president Mikhail Gorbachev to appeal for emergency outside shipments.

The state recently imposed a new minimum legal price for vodka, implemented a zero tolerance ban on drink-driving and banned night-time sales of alcohol to curb abuse blamed for the deaths of thousands of Russians every year.

Alcohol abuse kills around 500,000 Russians annually and greatly impacts male life expectancy, which is lower than in such developing countries as Bangladesh and Honduras, according to official figures.

Russians urged to smoke, drink more - Yahoo! Canada News

2. Polymorph

Polymorph TRIBE Member

well.... it's true, non? that and lottery tickets. in Canada

3. [​IMG]
    In Soviet Russia, cirrhosis and cancer get YOU!

4. Deus

Deus TRIBE Member

It will also make you forget how shitty it is to live in Russia. It's a win-win.

5. Ho||yw0oD

Ho||yw0oD TRIBE Member

[YOUTUBE]MtKw52fj14A[/YOUTUBE]

6. gl*tch

gl*tch TRIBE Member

"If you smoke a pack of cigarettes, that means you are giving more to help solve social problems such as boosting demographics, developing other social services and upholding birth rates," Kudrin said, quoted by the Interfax news agency.

LOL
    wow that's a terrible idea. Do you think taxing weed is on their radar yet?

7. Bacchus

Bacchus TRIBE Promoter

love the backwards thinking. intead of saving money on medical expenses due to the health complications from alcohol abuse and tobacco....they're doing the opposite.

brilliant.

8. basilisk

basilisk TRIBE Member

Reminds me of this story...

From: Smoking Can Help Czech Economy, Philip Morris-Little Report Says Gordon Fairclough / Wall Street Journal 16jul01

9. Maui

Maui TRIBE Member

The other day I was looking into getting a Russian bride over the internet.

One of the main reasons there are so many Russian women looking for men is that the men in Russia drink too much and can't function well enough to be in a marriage.

10. Snuffy

Snuffy TRIBE Member

A study in the Netherlands proved that smokers usually cost less. Because of the shorter life expectancy, they are less of a drain on the pension fund, etc. Also, no matter how healthy, a non-smoking person who lives to 96 will still need medical care.

11. Maui

Maui TRIBE Member

Please show me the data from this study that "proved" this.

12. Ho||yw0oD

Ho||yw0oD TRIBE Member

I will also look for it, but I know that last decade a similar study was released in Sweden. Smokers cost less and give more (revenues).

13. WestsideWax

WestsideWax TRIBE Promoter

14. Persephone

Persephone TRIBE Member

I can't find you specific studies at the moment, but any economist or healthcare practitioner can tell you that the longer a person lives, the more costly they are for society.* In purely economic terms, its optimal for a person to die as soon as they tax the economy more than they contribute (a net loss to society).

*in a social healthcare system.

15. Jeffsus

Jeffsus TRIBE Member

The only people who say that Russia doesn't suck, are the people outside of Russia. Look at the HDI.

-jM
    A&D

16. Jeffsus

Jeffsus TRIBE Member

Also, in Japan, they smoke and drink foreeeevvvveeeerrrr and the problem is they live too long.

Insert observation about western diet, -->here<--.

-jM
    A&D

17. Maui

Maui TRIBE Member

Exactly. I've heard those studies refuted when you take into account ALL costs, rather than just the factors the tobacco companies prefer to look at.

18. Snuffy

Snuffy TRIBE Member

It's the opposite. Many of the claims about smokers being a burden simply state the cost of care without comparing it to a healthy individual all through life. Here's an article in the New York Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/05/health/05iht-obese.1.9748884.html

"Cancer incidence, except for lung cancer, was the same in all three groups. Obese people had the most diabetes, and healthy people had the most strokes. Ultimately, the thin and healthy group cost the most, about $417,000, from age 20 on.

The cost of care for obese people was $371,000, and for smokers, about $326,000."

19. Ho||yw0oD

Ho||yw0oD TRIBE Member

No kidding! Our diet is awful but I think a lot of it also has to do with outdoor pollution and then all the extra crap in our food from the grocery store.

When I lived in Switzerland, I couldn't believe some of the 'unhealthy' things we'd eat. Fatty sauces over meat lots of days, with lots of potatoes (and veg). Dinner was lots of white bread, cheese and maybe a tiny bit of meat. Drank beer or wine every day.

However you are right... burgers, fries, processed foods, etc. were virtually no where to be seen. So, is it the chemicals?

20. Ho||yw0oD

Ho||yw0oD TRIBE Member

PS. Cheese fondue FTW