• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!
14K Cannabis seed slider pendants by tribe

In Praise of Street Meat

SellyCat

TRIBE Member
Why the hostility to street meat?

This morning I conducted an interview with Tibe Message Board's very own Sugar (aka Allison "I want to put all birds into a giant blender" [last name]).

SellyCat: "Ms. Allison, when I say 'hot dog vendor,' what is the first thing that comes to mind?"
Sugar: "BARF!"
SellyCat: "GET AHOLD OF YOURSELF! Look at you! You're hysterical!"

This is a typical example of the kind of abject racism suffered by Toronto's brave hod dog & sausage street vendors. Everyday, they are rejected by hundreds of millions of Torontonians in what has escalated into a silent campaign of cullinary ethnic cleansing!

A slight exaggeration.

Last night, after a three hour class, I was very hungry and dreaded the thought of how I would scrounge up dinner from my empty refrigerator. I didn't want to spend a lot of money on take-out or delivery food--nor go through the hassle of figuring it out and ordering it. So it occured to me: Street Meat.

I made my way to the Syd Smith building on St. George knowing full-well there would be vendor of aforementioned cullinary items. While many might debate the merits of applying the term "cullinary" to street-sold hot dog and sausage products, I am here today to say that they are affordable, filling AND delicious. Tasty-delicious, in fact!

The price : tastiness : mass ratio indicates that so-called Street Meat is an excellent value.

I had a Spicey Italian Sausage for $3.25. It was huge! So huge, in fact, that I had to sit down to finish it. It took a while and was very rewarding. (FYI, I topped it with sour kraut, ketchup and dijon mustard.) Now don't be fooled! I'm a total Foodie; 100%. I cook my own really good food, prepare elaborate meals with friends and I'm all about fresh ingredients. Obviously sausages aren't "fresh" per se, BUT I tasted nothing wrong with what I ate last night.

The vendor slit the sausage and grilled it on her obviously high quality barbecue right in front of me. Same with the bun. It made that CLASSIC sizzling/popping sound that good barbecued food makes. It both smelled and tasted great.

The moral of the story, ladies, gentlement, cunts and fools is that you should rethink your position on street meat.

Boss Hog

TRIBE Member
For me, it's only because the people who eat it stink like shit for hours after. And that sucks if you have to work beside them.

But the veggie dogs don't stink.

Caz

TRIBE Member
Boss Hog said:
For me, it's only because the people who eat it stink like shit for hours after. And that sucks if you have to work beside them.

But the veggie dogs don't stink.
any food that makes you physically odourous after eating it should probably be avoided in the workplace

Tribe 14K gold cannabis seed slider pendant and chain

Galactic Phantom

TRIBE Member
When I was young I went to the corner store and bought those $1 surprise bags. Seriously who doens't like surprises? When i got older i bought a surpise bag & realized all that was in there was left overs & crap no one wanted. i was sad that i was tricked as a kid.

**Please note surprise bag can be replaced with street meat**

littlejon

TRIBE Member
kraut, dill pickles, jalepenos [not banana peppers] and dijon.
perhaps hot sauce as well, if they have a good kind.

but yeah, street meat is chock full of farts.
eat with discretion, and not on first dates.

starr

TRIBE Member
i love (fake) street meat, aka veggie dogs
but i was devastated when they lost the ability to add cheese :(

i still have one every now and then, but it's not the same

OutcastTO

TRIBE Member
I stopped eating street meat because I have no idea where the guy/girl behind the grill washes their hands/goes to the washroom :confused:

Caz

TRIBE Member
OutcastTO said:
I stopped eating street meat because I have no idea where the guy/girl behind the grill washes their hands/goes to the washroom :confused:
DUN DUN DUNNNNNNNNN

Richard Raiban

TRIBE Member
isnt there going to be a short film being made about a street meat vendor (based on the vendor infront of mount sinai hospital?)

on a side note: have you guys seen the high tech street meat vendor @ yonge & bloor (north east side). they have their own metal house now!!! LOL

Persephone

TRIBE Member
OutcastTO said:
I see that a lot of vendors have hand sanitizer now. And for the most part they don't really handle the food. They use their tongs for nearly everything.

dayum this thread has given me a craving. Every once in a while I let the urge take over and I get one. They smell so good, and taste wonderful. I love the vendors who go all out with toppings. I love to put crushed plain chips on mine with ketchup, relish, onions and corn relish.

And yes, I most definitely stink aftewards. But I just don't care, when I eat it only once or twice a year the stink is most definitely worth it.

*runs out to get street meat as she has her own office*

Last edited:

man_slut

TRIBE Member
Do you know what they put in Hot Dogs? SellyCat! I can assure you they are loaded with sodium and other preservatives and colouring agents. The more processed food becomes the shittier it is for you.

SellyCat

TRIBE Member
man_slut said:
Do you know what they put in Hot Dogs? SellyCat! I can assure you they are loaded with sodium and other preservatives and colouring agents. The more processed food becomes the shittier it is for you.
I know, I know...I don't like processed food...but honestly, it felt better quality that store-bought micro-waveable quishes and ass like that.

I don't advocate its regular consumption...but GOD DAMN it was so good and hardy and filling <3

SellyCat

TRIBE Member
Also...street food is a major everyday part of Asian culture. All those South-East Asian countries have street vendors that feed the urbanites lunch every day. It just happens to be noodles and soup instead of cock-shaped meat in an ass-shaped bun

I just ruined everything.