• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

In just 8 years Big League Chu has established himself as Toronto's finest break....

Static EQ

TRIBE Member
Quote above taken from the BLC and Simply Jeff party coming up at Fever...

I thought statements like "Toronto finest" were reserved for overblown megadjs... ???

:rolleyes:

king of Funk

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Static EQ
I thought statements like "Toronto finest" were reserved for overblown megadjs... ???

That is possibly the most profoundly stupid thing I've read in some time. Congratulations on being both petty and small minded.

You could try as hard as you like and you won't find a more modest , self effacing person (not DJ...person) than BLC.

He is his own harshest critic and is far removed from the cult of personality that surrounds so many of his peers.

He's approachable, eager in fact to meet the people he plays for and regradless of the circumstances treats everyone with respect.

So when a promoter chooses to describe him as "toronto's finest Breakbeat DJ" they don't go far enough because he's Canada's finest Breakbeat DJ.

litespeed

Well-Known TRIBEr

homosaywhat?
are you trying to bash him? please tell the class why you disagree with that statement? cause I'm sure everyone else would go as far as to say he's one of Canada's finest.

tribe magazine legacy photo exhibit

Spinsah

TRIBE Member

Well eye magazine would certainly disagree with your trite deployment of that emoticon, as would all those who cast votes rendering Chu Toronto's finest breaks dj two years in a row.

Secondly, you should know that these little quips that appear on flyers are obviously not written by the artists themselves and are intended to generate hype. In this case however it just happens to be quite accurate.

Now, all that aside, his success as a dj is only usurped by his down to earth personality. Colin is truly an asset to the Toronto, Canadian and global breaks scene.

docta seuss

TRIBE Member
not only is freedom of speech and opinion a great thing, but big league chu dick sucking is almost as annoying as big league chu bashing.

...although i don't know that the original thread was intended to be as harsh as it looks.. though i could be wrong, in which case i side with the chu camp. he be one funkay man
:)

king of Funk

TRIBE Member
Let's all be clear on one thing above all else... This thread had no impact on on BLC's professional repuation, nor for that matter will the people who know him see him in a different light.
Therefore he will not give a shit.....

I on the other hand do. A lot of people work their asses of to keep the Breakbeat scene alive and vibrant, and at the top of that list are our DJ's without them we'd all be listening to Trance.

So when someone casually disses one of the godfathers of Canadian Breaks, best believe there will be a response. Every single time.

So when you say:
Originally posted by docta seuss
not only is freedom of speech and opinion a great thing, but big league chu dick sucking is almost as annoying as big league chu bashing.

You had better understand the following:

1) I will defend the right to free speech with my last breath, however..... With Free Speech comes responsibility. A responsibility to ensure that you can back up what you say with facts, a cold sharp intellect or a fiery all-consuming passion.

2) When you criticize make it count. Be funny, be constructive, be both; otherwise if you're gonna get personal leave a scorched earth and make sure you're self esteem is not at stake.

3) Stay in your weight class.

So when you use "free speech" as an argument do try and disparage my right to respond to a comment, how does that make you look?

I'm just trying to let people know I will not let this kinda shit slide. Not now, not ever.

Does anyone else have anything else to say?

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

DSV

TRIBE Promoter
Re: Re: In just 8 years Big League Chu has established himself as Toronto's finest break....

Originally posted by beaker
actually it's only reserved for pink floyd-moog lovers.

Hey, I'm a pink floyd moog lover!

Me & you, bike racks, 3:30!!!

As for Chu, that dude is ultra-safe. And he is a wicked ass breaks DJ who is prob'ly the most popular in the city. And in a racket where there really is no objective marker for who is the best, that pretty much clinches the deal.

Having said that, maybe we should all take a deep breath and chill out. Although I must say, this board does get awful boring without a little colour commentary. That 'dick-sucking' comment is quite funny. As is 'stay in your weight class'. Keep up the good work! ;)

Peace out!
Dave

P.S. One other thing though:
you should know that these little quips that appear on flyers are obviously not written by the artists themselves
That statement isn't always true. I'm not sure about this case here, but usually those comments are pulled right off your web-site bio or whatever. The whole point is to big yourself up as much as possible, it's all about the hype baby!! What are we supposed to say: 'I'm a DJ, and I'm, ehh, not bad'? That isn't gonna' work!

docta seuss

TRIBE Member
stay in MY weight class!? oh, i stay in mine dood, you just have a class all your own. i guess it'd be the melodramatic, over-eager, let's-all-proof-read-our-tribe-posts-to-ensure-no-grammatical-errors-while-at-the-same-time-utilizing-nice-big-words-heedless-of- whether-they-sound-absolutely-ridiculous-or-not-to-impress-these-people-who-don't-give-two-shits-about-my-opinion-because-i've-
already-sucked-dick-to-the-point-where-they-won't-take-me-seriously-weight-class.

i was trying to be light hearted about the matter hombré. you need to lighten up a bit.

but, seeing as how you seem to want to make this personal, lets us have a clash of intellects.

First you write:

Originally posted by king of Funk
That is possibly the most profoundly stupid thing I've read in some time. Congratulations on being both petty and small minded.
Then when I state that people have a right to freedom of opinion, you proceed to take it in entirely the wrong way:

So when you use "free speech" as an argument do try and disparage my right to respond to a comment, how does that make you look?
MISSED THE POINT ENTIRELY!

you're calling him petty, small minded, and his comment, "profoundly stupid". the man's entitled to his opinion as are you, but you don't have to be a fucking dick head about it, nor do you have to be so melodramatic about everything.

I will defend the right to free speech with my last breath, however..... With Free Speech comes responsibility. A responsibility to ensure that you can back up what you say with facts, a cold sharp intellect or a fiery all-consuming passion.
nice, nice..

Does anyone else have anything else to say?
oh yeah, dood, you put us in our places. Do you honestly think you’re that clever..
it is nice that you see good qualities in other people. calling chu a modest, self-effacing person, recognising that these are positive qualities.. I quite agree with you. Now you need to check yourself, and bring yourself down a few notches.

you’ve already wasted far too much of my time in this successful defence of my intellect, and bashing of yours. get off your high horse already, and feel free to mingle with us small-folk. I have no doubt that you are, for the most part, a kind, intelligent person, and it’s great to see people coming to chu’s defence, but let’s stop insulting other people’s intelligence, and take light-hearted comments for what they are.

Game, set, match.

docta seuss

TRIBE Member
Re: Re: Re: In just 8 years Big League Chu has established himself as Toronto's fines

Originally posted by DSV
'I'm a DJ, and I'm, ehh, not bad'
now wait a minute.. you may have something there..

DSV

TRIBE Promoter
Re: Re: Re: Re: In just 8 years Big League Chu has established himself as Toronto's f

Originally posted by docta seuss
now wait a minute.. you may have something there..
huh?

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

docta seuss

TRIBE Member
i can just see the flyer now.......

BREAKERS REVENGE 4

BIG LEAGUE CHU
(allworld)

Torontos's finest breaks dj

DA PHAT CONDUCTOR
(2Wars)

an up and coming star in the world of breakbeats

DAVE DUB
(2Wars)

I'm a DJ, and I'm, ehh, not bad

we're talkin' mega sales!

maddog

TRIBE Member
I think king of funk should chill the fuck out. You think BLC's the One of the best breaks dj's? That's great man im glad ur passionate and supportive towards a good Toronto local dj but some of us out there mos def hafta disagree with the opinions of urself , ev , etc.....

roojew

docta seuss

TRIBE Member
werd up maddog.

hey, personally i like chu, in fact he's the dood who got me into breaks, but it's just fine with me if others don't. debates over opinions are expected, and quite often entertaining, but telling someone that their opinion is stupid... well, to use the words of the king of funk himself, "it's petty and small minded."

REMI XO

TRIBE Member
Chu is TIGHT

But I used to struggle to get Breaks @ FRESH records...because he was always the first cat at the door thrusday mornings

Dam U CHU!!!

at least he put them to good use!

ST. Clair representing:)

todiefor

TRIBE Promoter
in cases like this all i have to say is at least the guy is out there doing something. he's having a good time, and he's not hurting anyone and because of him others are having a good time as well. as for you...well it's fine to make a derogatory, or even questioning comment but what the hell are you doing - other than hating that is.

steve

docta seuss

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by ev
remember the gum Big League Chu.... that shit was hype.
hehe.... i think you meant big league CHEW. the man's got you brainwashed. :eek: they still make it. i always get a pack before a long night of partéing. t'is tha shiznat.

Jeremy Jive

TRIBE Member
Give it up for the Big Hairy Woo!

If you think he plays breaks well, you should see him play as "The Coach"

jeremy -it's all hype- jive