• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Impressed/Not Impressed

JESuX

TRIBE Member
Welcome to The Product Review Thread! (For Girlie Things)

List whatever new product that you've tried, and what you thought of them.

I'll start:

Dove Extra Firming Cream:

CRAP. I put this stuff on every damn day and it did nothing, just as I suspected that it would. Lesson learned: don't buy in to cheap tricks to make yourself look more in shape - the only thing that'll do that for you is the gym. One thing I'll say for it though, it works great as a plain hand cream and smells really nice.

Ranking: Not Impressed

Life Brand Honey Nut Hair Shine Syrum:

Awesome! At 1/7 the price of the other stuff I've seen, it works great, smells good, and does a comparable job to a product like frizz-ease. It made my hair super soft, and VERY shiny.

Ranking: Impressed

Life Brand Honey Nut Shampoo for Coloured Hair:

With the success of the shine syrum, I decided to go out on a limb and buy a bottle of the shampoo... Not usually something I like to gamble with, but fuck it. I used it this morning, it smells great, my hair's very shiny and soft and was easy to comb through. Good stuff!

MissBlu

TRIBE Member
Vaseline Intensive Care Body Moisturizer: Cocoa Butter, Deep Conditioning

This stuff is wonderful, comparable to body butter, but not as greasy. Great light scent, blends in nicely. A nice change up from the typical Intensive Care Moisturizer I use... About half the price of my beloved body butter too.

John Frieda Glaze - Chestnut to Espresso

The consistency is not thick enough to not slide off your hands before you get it in your hair. Stains everything (especially if you have a white shower). My shower ended up being too long, I had to exfoliate to try and get this shit off me... I don't even think it made a difference.

I <3 this thread!

mayab

TRIBE Member
JESuX said:

With the success of the shine syrum, I decided to go out on a limb and buy a bottle of the shampoo... Not usually something I like to gamble with, but fuck it. I used it this morning, it smells great, my hair's very shiny and soft and was easy to comb through. Good stuff!

I am warning you now that you should not use any honey shampoo products in the summer and when you are camping, hiking, or at an outdoor festival.

My last experience with honey shampoo ended with my hair being swarmed by bees and multiple stings all while I was supposed to be talking down this guy having a bad acid trip. I started screaming and waving my arms around in terror and he ran for the hills.

We never saw him again and my forehead swelled up like a Klingon:O

kmac

TRIBE Member
Biotherm Baume Corps Nutrition Intense with Apricot Oil:

Fixes my dry skin without making it greasy and it smells good too. I am impressed.

Lancome L'extreme Mascara:

Meh. Pretty good stuff but I'm sure a Rimmel mascara and an eyelash curler could do the same job for less $.

I am not that impressed.

lucky1

TRIBE Member
Burts' Bees' Hand Salve.. specially forumulated to penetrate dry chapped hands and other areas that need extra moisturizing..

unimpressed..

I was expecting a rich hand cream.. in reality is runnier than vaseline and very oily.. you may as well rub olive oil on your hands.. I amd going to return it to shoppers.. at 10 bucks a tin is pretty pricey

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

sugar

TRIBE Member
MissBlu said:

I tried this shit too - the one for blonde hair. CRAP! Made my hair feel thick and looked greasy, rather than glossy and soft. Janiecakes had a similar experience with the one she used. Total waste of money.

Bean

TRIBE Member
Neutrogena Norwegian Forumla Hand Cream

Just the tiniest amount relieves my dry hands. Unscented all the way.

I am impressed.

ROC Dermatologic Enydrial Repairing Lip Care

This lip balm (comes in a stick) wipes out really dry and chapped lips. It's gentle and has no scent.

I am impressed.

JESuX

TRIBE Member
MissBlu said:

i TOTALLY almost bought that last night, for reds!

i actually have the j.f. line of shampoo, colour lock styling cream, and conditioner at home already - i got them on "clearout" at shoppers one day... here's my review:

John Frieda Colour Lock Shampoo, for reds:

Crap. It makes NO difference, it requires a shitload to actually penetrate my very thin hair, and my hair feels/looks greasy in about half the time that it usually does. It made zero difference in terms of keeping my red colour in my hair any longer than usual, and I made sure I used it every day. It was a waste of $3. I try to avoid using it unless I run out of shampoo.

NOT impressed.

John Frieda Colour Lock Conditioner, for reds:

Meh. Nothing special at all. Had to use a ton to do anything, and I didn't notice anything special at all. Colour faded as per usual, and it left my hair feeling limp.

NOT impressed.

John Frieda Colour Lock Styling Cream, for reds:

Not bad, actually. I tried using this in conjunction with a couple of other products, and it kept the frizz down to a minimum, and made my hair feel moisturized and a bit thicker... though it DID weigh my hair down - but helped to keep it VERY straight when I blow dried. I wouldn't use this when wearing hair curly, as I think it would weigh it down and make it a bit dull.

Half way between impressed and not impressed - I wouldn't buy it again, unless it was on sale for $3 again.

m0ff

TRIBE Member
MissBlu said:
Vaseline Intensive Care Body Moisturizer: Cocoa Butter, Deep Conditioning

This stuff is wonderful, comparable to body butter, but not as greasy. Great light scent, blends in nicely. A nice change up from the typical Intensive Care Moisturizer I use... About half the price of my beloved body butter too.

I just bought this the other night. I LOVE it! My apartment has been super dry, and I'm expecially finding it problematic in the morning. I put some of this stuff on at night, and my hands aren't dry and tight in the morning. My guy friend loves the smell too...which is always a good sign. w00t :)

nikki.classics

TRIBE Member
JESuX said:

oh i've been wanting to try this! what a great thread :D

Biore Pore-Minimizing Face Wash
Just bought this and have only tried it out a couple times...it foams nice and has little scrubby things in it which i like, but it doesn't really make my pores look smaller. Makes my skin feel nice and clean though.
Ranking: somewhat impressed (might change with more use).

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

kate

TRIBE Member
I actually kind of like the John Frieda colour glaze b/c it keeps my highlights from getting brassy, but maybe its a contributing factor to my hair feeling greasier than it should lately.

I will give an IMPRESSED for the Natural Instincts Shine Happy clear glaze. My hair feels fricking AMAZING after I use it, its the best product ever. Like bounds and leaps nicer than after just a plain old shampoo.

I'm also going to give an immpressed for the new Life Brand yummy smelly bodywash stuff and lotion and spray. Nothing beats smelling like cup cakes coming out of the shower and it is cheap cheap cheap compared to the Victoria's Secret stuff I've been loyal to!

mariazmess

TRIBE Member
mayab said:
I am warning you now that you should not use any honey shampoo products in the summer and when you are camping, hiking, or at an outdoor festival.

My last experience with honey shampoo ended with my hair being swarmed by bees and multiple stings all while I was supposed to be talking down this guy having a bad acid trip. I started screaming and waving my arms around in terror and he ran for the hills.

We never saw him again and my forehead swelled up like a Klingon:O
BAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA

this poor guy on acid... oh my... hahahahahahahahaha!!!!
holy fuck. :O KLINGON!! BAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHA

rubytuesday

TRIBE Member
kate said:
I will give an IMPRESSED for the Natural Instincts Shine Happy clear glaze. My hair feels fricking AMAZING after I use it, its the best product ever. Like bounds and leaps nicer than after just a plain old shampoo.
Ooh good to hear, I want to try it sometime. :)

I am IMPRESSED with this moisturizer so far. It made my elbows soft again and isn't too pricey. It smells a bit when you apply it (but I hate anything coconutty) but the smell dissipates pretty quickly. Jergens is pushing it for use during pregnancy to prevent stretch marks due to the high shea butter content.

Also IMPRESSED with this product line by Bath and Body Works, except it's only in the states afaik. I don't like wearing perfume anymore but this stuff leaves a really unique and not overpowering scent and does a good job of moisturizing.

Ms. C

TRIBE Member
DOVE Deep Moisture Hand Wash

Recently received a coupon for a free bottle (which made me IMPRESSED) and after trying it out for a few weeks now. It claims it “Dove Deep Moisture Nourishing Hand Wash combines active moisturizing lotion and nutrients to go beyond cleansing. The result is softer, smoother hands every time you wash!”

It smells very good AND it seems to actually moisturize as well!

Overall, IMPRESSED!

lucinda

TRIBE Member
Suave coconut shower gel. Such good lather...omigoodness it smells amazing and it is only $2 for a huge bottle! Although, I don't think it is sold in Canada? Ordering several bottles that should be here by the 21st of Dec.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

lucky1

TRIBE Member
I got a sample of Nivea body wash with silk ribbons..

unimpressed.... it smelled wierd and made your skin feel likeit had a film on it

JESuX

TRIBE Member
lucky1 said:
I got a sample of Nivea body wash with silk ribbons..

unimpressed.... it smelled wierd and made your skin feel likeit had a film on it
i have the Olay one... HIGHLY recommend it!!!

it's been the only thing i've used since i tried it - it smells amazing, leaves your skin feeling moisturized but not greasy, and is great for my sensitive skin. everything else i've tried with few exceptions makes me feel all itchy and irritated.

i swear by the purple ones - the body butter ribbons.

Michlerish

Well-Known TRIBEr
Oh, no I was talking about Olay ones! Now that I see a picture. My roommate buys them... I hated them. They didn't feel like they were washing anything... kinda like if you used oily moisturizer in the shower as a body wash.

But that's just me... I'd rather use Olay normal body wash, with some after-shower moisturizer ;)

mayab

TRIBE Member
I am also not impressed by the Olay body ribbons. It didn't make me feel sticky but it was too perfumed for me and left me..um..itchy in sensitive places *lol*.

But I am impressed by Aveeno skin relief body wash with the anti-itch oatmeal. It is really good during the winter time.

I follow this with Olay in-shower body moisturizer. I'm usually too lazy to moisturize all the time and I don't like feeling sticky so this stuff gets put on in the shower and washed off. Obviously it isn't the richest moisturizer but it does the job.

Metal Morphosis

TRIBE Member
MissBlu said:

I <3 this thread!
thank god for tribe! i'd been considering buying the JF glaze but thanks to all the negative comments i think i'll keep my $10 or whatever it costs.

ANEW Retroactive+ 2-in-1 Cleanser AM/PM

my sister sold AVON for a while so i got hooked on some of their products. Namely this 2 in 1 cleanser. it's amazing. has little cleanser beads in it that burst when you rub them on your face. leaves your face feeling slight minty fresh, but not too minty how sea breeze used to make my eyes water. My mom can even use this shit and she's got the most sensitive skin i've ever seen.

The other product that i love is the Avon Anew Deep Crease serum with Bo-Hylurox

i've noticed a marked difference in the crease on my forehead.

go avon!

Last edited:

lucky1

TRIBE Member
Michlerish said:
Oh, no I was talking about Olay ones! Now that I see a picture. My roommate buys them... I hated them. They didn't feel like they were washing anything... kinda like if you used oily moisturizer in the shower as a body wash.

But that's just me... I'd rather use Olay normal body wash, with some after-shower moisturizer ;)

I think we're talking about the same one.. it was not a nice experience.. but i tossed the package so i can't say for sure what brand it was but i think it may actually have been olay..

Tins

TRIBE Member
mayab said:
I am also not impressed by the Olay body ribbons. It didn't make me feel sticky but it was too perfumed for me and left me..um..itchy in sensitive places *lol*.

But I am impressed by Aveeno skin relief body wash with the anti-itch oatmeal. It is really good during the winter time.

I follow this with Olay in-shower body moisturizer. I'm usually too lazy to moisturize all the time and I don't like feeling sticky so this stuff gets put on in the shower and washed off. Obviously it isn't the richest moisturizer but it does the job.
Maybe I should try this Aveeno one then. I tend to get too lazy too... I really do not find the time to moisturize my body in the mornings before work. And throughout the day I am totally itching because my poor skin is so dry.

Do you use one of those little puffs in the shower to put the body wash on? As you can tell I don't normally use body wash.

mayab

TRIBE Member
Yes, just grab one of those puffs and it will lather up nicely. I'm sure you will notice a difference. There are way more moisturizers in the body washes compared to a bar of soap.