• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

i'm ready to listen

mingster

TRIBE Member
i need speakers for my computer. i'm listening on a pair of "creative" speakers right now. and they are sucking more and more by the minute.

i need something that i can plug into a laptop, that has SOME considerable sound, and that won't fade into sonic-oblivion within half a year. am i dooooomed? can i get crisp sound on a reasonable budget? any suggestions? things to look for in an electronics store? can i use the same speakers on my laptop as i could with a desktop?

thanks!

challenged.

Sinister Shadow

TRIBE Member
Yes you can use the same speakers on your desktop as your laptop. They'll both likely have a 1/8" plug (3.5mm jack).

Computer speakers have gotten better, but generally they all suck pretty large. They're cheap self amplified junk.

Better to go down to the local pawn shop and get yourself an older model amplifier and find a pair of ok audio speakers. Or even a mediocre shelf system with a line input.

Then just use a "Y" cable (3.5mm male to RCA) to plug the computer of choice into the stereo you set up.

You can always upgrade this connection from the PC to stereo to be wireless in the future using say the $49 linksys sound bridge.

Such a system might set you back anywhere from about $200 and up. But it'll sound better, have more uses, and last longer than some built for PC soundsystem.

Aerius Zension

TRIBE Member
I wouldn't say CPU speakers suck too bad, I find they're best for usability. I can use the same two speakers that came with my computer in my iPod, or any other MP3 player. Good for travel too if you're using a laptop.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

~atp~

TRIBE Member
Hey Mel, what's your budget? And do you want these things to be portable at all? Or will they just sit in your bedroom or livingroom?

TaCk OnE?

TRIBE Member
I have a sony set with a little amplifier that work really well....lasted a LONG time....and can pump out some volume for their size.

they also work great with ipods, laptops, and discmans....anything with a mini jack.

[- FuNKtiOn -]

TRIBE Member
stereo speaker > computer speakers.

Sinister Shadow said:
just use a "Y" cable (3.5mm male to RCA) to plug the computer of choice into the stereo you set up.
exactly. I got a 12 foot cable at the Source (aka Radio Shack) for around $20 that goes from my computer to my actual stereo.

mingster

TRIBE Member
keith, budget is about $100 at most? don't need something portable.

thanks for the input (ha!). that klipsch business looks practical. though i've never used ebay. :|

Sinister Shadow

TRIBE Member
[- FuNKtiOn -] said:
stereo speaker > computer speakers.

exactly. I got a 12 foot cable at the Source (aka Radio Shack) for around $20 that goes from my computer to my actual stereo.
Same cable but better quality will run you 5.99 at Active Surplus on Queen. Best place for cables and other things you'd normally buy at Radio Shack.

Just a tip for the future.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Sleepy Giant

TRIBE Member
There is a set of decent logitech speakers on sale at future shop for $80 this week. Customer reviews seem to be good.

I got the z-2300 ones but they are a little out of your price range $230 ish. They are excellent speakers. I have never been so happy with a purchase as I was when I got these babies home.

[- FuNKtiOn -]

TRIBE Member
Sinister Shadow said:
Same cable but better quality will run you 5.99 at Active Surplus on Queen. Best place for cables and other things you'd normally buy at Radio Shack.

yeah, I really don't like buying things from the Source/Radio Shack/Futureshop/etc, but it was a matter of convenience at the time.
the only redeeming thing was it came with a 2 year warrantee.

beaker

TRIBE Member
Sleepy Giant said:
There is a set of decent logitech speakers on sale at future shop for $80 this week. Customer reviews seem to be good.

I got the z-2300 ones but they are a little out of your price range $230 ish. They are excellent speakers. I have never been so happy with a purchase as I was when I got these babies home.

i bought an earlier version of these and they are pretty decent for computer speakers. a bit noisy but nothing worth complaining about for the price/functionaliy....

veteze

TRIBE Promoter
Sinister Shadow said:

ACTIVE SURRPLUSS! Never know whachya find inside! ACTIVE SURRPLUSS!

veteze

TRIBE Promoter

I have these. Bose Companion 2. For some retarded reason they're $150 here. I like em cuz I don't have to stash some retarded ass giant shitty sounding bass bin under my desk that only serves to annoy my neighbours. They sound fantastic but they won't go super loud. You can't fill a room with them but for personal listening they're fantastic.

You could probably find a used pair on ebay for less than a hundred or maybe order from the states.

--r

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

mingster

TRIBE Member
beaker said:
i bought an earlier version of these and they are pretty decent for computer speakers. a bit noisy but nothing worth complaining about for the price/functionaliy....
what do you mean they're "noisy"? :p

zoo

TRIBE Member
if i was in your position (needing speakers, wanting to spend ~100) i would buy a 2.1 set that has received decent reviews

check out what's at futureshop/bestbuy/whatever store is near you, and google the product name with 'review' attached to the search term and see what people have said about 'em

the typical 2 small speakers + 1 sub system is good enough for most users

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/subclass.asp?catid=11553&mfr=&logon=&langid=EN&sort=3&page=1&list=

check out page 2 here (sorted by price) for the systems around $100

the nice part is that you can go hear them in the store to make sure they don't suck ... you can take your ipod / mp3 player/ cd player / whatever in with you and hook it up to test your own music too

randyval

TRIBE Member

two of these with 15"jbl 150w true bass (1000w crossed over)
combined with 10' jbl mids and horn tweaters.
pushed with a yhamaha 1000w (250w per channel)
i had to leave them behind when i moved from TO :( i miss them every day.

best computer speakers ever.

deep

TRIBE Member
I'd recommend klipsch for computer speakers, as suggested earlier. I have a 4 speaker set myself. the set suggested to you actually retail for around $200 CDN which makes me suspicious of those ebay prices. looks like some of them have the price reduced so much because the boxes are banged up. the retail cost sounds like it's beyond your price range.

Last edited: