• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

i'm not going back to school!

rod_g

TRIBE Member
Post secondary education is a SCAM. I'm clockin cash in the now. Been working since I was 12 with my paper route . Did 2 years of UfT Comp sci before coming to the conclusion that studying from textbooks published in 1948 wasn't going to get me anywhere.

It's who you know, not what you know

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

KiFe

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by rod_g
Post secondary education is a SCAM. I'm clockin cash in the now. Been working since I was 12 with my paper route . Did 2 years of UfT Comp sci before coming to the conclusion that studying from textbooks published in 1948 wasn't going to get me anywhere.

You'll never be an astronaut with that kind of attitude.

vveerrgg

TRIBE Promoter
funny. i went to school for audio engineering. I wanted to be a film score guy.....

now i work in .NET and don't mind it at all.

depending on your drive and dedication, you don't NEED school for a career... That being said, there have been job offers I've missed because I don't have a BA in computer Science.

Casper

TRIBE Member
you'd be suprised that some of the stuff from 1948 still holds true today, actually most of it,
peace

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

R4V4G3D_SKU11S

TRIBE Member
Re: Re: i'm not going back to school!

Originally posted by KiFe
You'll never be an astronaut with that kind of attitude.

I introduced myself to an astronaut once - knowing one is the biggest step in pursuing my dream of astronautery!

KiFe

TRIBE Member
Re: Re: Re: i'm not going back to school!

Originally posted by Dr Funk MD
For $20 anyone can be an astronaut these days.

"Sir, how would you like to get HIGHER than you've ever been in your life?"

"Be an astronaut?! SURE!"

quantumize

TRIBE Member
a degree doesn't teach you much about the real world, it just teaches you how to be disciplined and stick with something difficult and finnish it

junglegirl

TRIBE Member
A degree in whatever can sometimes get you further in the interview for a job but it doesnt mean you are going to get the job at all.

And I agree with the statement its who you know - alot of the time this is true but in the end it is what you know - who you know just gets you in the door.

IMO :D

PosTMOd

Well-Known TRIBEr
Originally posted by quantumize
a degree doesn't teach you much about the real world, it just teaches you how to be disciplined and stick with something difficult and finnish it

Well, I got ripped off, because I learned the opposite.

Neo-Marxist

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by rod_g

"If you don't got no education, you aint' got nothin'" - P. Diddy

In all seriousness, though, if you lack a post-secondary education, chances are you won't make a lot of money. This has been the case statistically. Of course, there are those who do very well without any sort of formal education at all, but those people are few and far between. Who you know helps, but it's no guarantee that things will work out for you.

quantumize

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by PosTMOd
Well, I got ripped off, because I learned the opposite.

on the contrary you didn't get ripped off

if you learned about the real world in your education then you got more than most people get. it is true that ther are a few disciplines in which post secondary study adequatley prepare it's pupils for the workforce. if you are in ne of thoseyou should be thankful

[but if you owe 44 grand mabye you might not be all that grateful]

Last edited:

PosTMOd

Well-Known TRIBEr
as long as you learned the discipline of how to finnish tasks you find mundane in the real world then your all set

I didn't, which probably explains my current unemployment.

quantumize

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by PosTMOd
I didn't, which probably explains my current unemployment.

you'll be fine, i'm sure something will come up.

this is always a slow quarter for the economy. i've met you and your smart and you even resemble sting somewhat

cheer up

you'll find a job i'm sure of it

Hawk Eye

TRIBE Member
Yesutrday i was just browing for jobs and i came across this one job for Rogers that i can do execpt you have to have a univerisity degree which i think is a load of crap. I'm going to apply anyway.
most ppl once done exams don't remember what they wrote about anyways. It's just a peice of paper.

Sunshyne Jones

TRIBE Member
if i ever go back to school (i have a Bachelor of Public Relations) it'll be for an MBA - but that'll take the most effort I've ever forced my lazy ass to ever do so i seriously doubt it. :)

PosTMOd

Well-Known TRIBEr
cheer up

you'll find a job i'm sure of it

The weird thing is that I haven't been this happy for quite a while. It took the last month to shed the shit from work, and now my head is finally clear.

Of course, now I feel guilty, but only because I think I should. Man, being a bum is hard on the conscience.

tella

TRIBE Member
Re: Re: i'm not going back to school!

Originally posted by Neo-Marxist
"If you don't got no education, you aint' got nothin'" - P. Diddy

In all seriousness, though, if you lack a post-secondary education, chances are you won't make a lot of money. This has been the case statistically. Of course, there are those who do very well without any sort of formal education at all, but those people are few and far between. Who you know helps, but it's no guarantee that things will work out for you.

i know a lot of ppl who only have a highschool education who make very good money. i also know a lot of ppl who only have a highschool education who make ok money, enough to get by while their still young, but if they ever want a house or children (or both) they'd definitely be struggling.

the reason why i'm going back to school is very simple..i love school and i LOVE learning. i know that i'm capable of doing this on my own, however, i've been working the same (ok paying) job for the past 5 years and i'm stuck in a rut. i know that if i stayed there for another couple of years, i would most likely spend the rest of my life there and i'd rather gouge my eyeballs out than stay there. i've never had a job that i absolutely LOVE and i really doubt that i can ever find a job that i woudl look forward to going to everyday with just a highschool diploma. it just doesn't seem feasible to me.