• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

I'm new to Blackberry, what should I know?

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
I found my dear old Nokia E71 dumbphone at the bottom of the washing machine this morning. It went through a long washing cycle last night.

Ev gave me his old Blackberry (a 9700). I am new to Blackberry... WHat should I know?

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
Can you use the twitter and facebook apps on the Blackberry withough having a data plan - like through a local wifi connection for example? If so, how do I make this happen?

octo

TRIBE Member
i don't have my 9780 to check the process of setting up the wifi.

but yes, you can use facebook/twitter and the web browser on your home wifi without using the data plan. at least on my current 9900 i can.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
After a week or so of using this Blackberry 9700 I can say that I understand them a bit better. The build quality is really good, and it's design has features that I really wanted on my old Nokia E71 (now entombed in a container of rice).

I am valuing common sense design stuff like backlighting, so I can now read texts in bright sunlight. Also the threaded display of text messages, whichmy Nokia didn't have (or I couldn't figure out how to enable).

The keys on this BB are a bit too close together for my fat thumbs though, and I am making a lot of typing mistakes because of it. I wonder is there some kind of predictive spelling theing I can enable on this BB to autocorrect my bad typing?