• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

I'm locked out of my wireless router :( how do i fix it?

DaPhatConductor

TRIBE Promoter
a geek friend of mine who now lives somewhere else set up my wireless a while ago and i don't know the password.

is there a way i can edit the router settings somewhere and fix it? i really want to figure it out, not having internet on my laptop blows.

djfear

TRIBE Member
All routers can be reset, but you lose all data on it. Find out how to reset the router and you're rolling.

ibiza911

TRIBE Member
DaPhatConductor said:
a geek friend of mine who now lives somewhere else set up my wireless a while ago and i don't know the password.

is there a way i can edit the router settings somewhere and fix it? i really want to figure it out, not having internet on my laptop blows.
what kind of router is it?
Linksys? dlink??... There is a reset button on the back of the router, you'll have to push it down with a pen/pencil, but every router comes with a default password I.E admin, password...

DaPhatConductor

TRIBE Promoter
i reset the router, and now we're locked out of the internet :(

i can't even google to help myself. i am at a net cafe now.

it is a SMC Barricade 7004VWBR and it has been initialized. i can connect to it wireless on my mac, but i can't get internet :(

my roommates totally hate me right now.

any suggestions?

(PS we just moved, so we have no manual)

seeker

TRIBE Member
if you're using a DSL internet service, you probably just need to redo the setup for PPPoE on your router. If you've reset the router, it will no longer have these settings stored. There's probably some kind of setup link or wizard built-in to the web interface on the router.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

lobo

TRIBE Member
Since you're on an internet cafe, why don't you go to SMC's website and download the manual for the thing while you're at it? seeker is probably right that you more than likely need to setup the PPPoE settings if you're using DSL from Sympatico.

Lobo

DaPhatConductor

TRIBE Promoter
god, this is the worst shit ever...

i have wireless on my mac now, but all of the hardwired computers are locked out.

smc tech support is in india and they don't know anything. i have wasted over 2 hours on the phone with them already, and everytime i do it they fuck shit up so bad i have to call bell and start from square one again.

DO NOT BUY SMC ROUTERS!!!!

miss riot

TRIBE Promoter
Dylan, just fuck with it & get a Dlink router. The money you'll spend will be more worth it than the stress & time. They work great & are super strong especially for Macs. Go to nearest Future Shop & you'll be set up in a flash. Me & Jay have ours set up through his PC to my iBook & the connection flies.

miss riot

TRIBE Promoter
Btw, whay are you in a net cafe? Just go to campus & get free wireless there, it stretches all the way down to college & spadina area.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

DaPhatConductor

TRIBE Promoter
i'm at home now.

i can connect wireless on the mac, and i can hook the pc directly to the modem to get internet, but the hub is still locking out all wired connections, the tech support are in india and totally don't know what they're doing, and now they're closed...

rrrr...

i wish i had the money for a real wireless router.

rrrr....

DaPhatConductor

TRIBE Promoter
oh, i've given up at this point.

i'm just gonna make some more phone calls to india and reset it a few more times until it works...

either that or get one of my 1337 buddies to help.

i don't want to trouble you cats any more.