• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Im having doubts about college

Hawk Eye

TRIBE Member
I probably won't get any replys to this but I just thought i'd make a thread in case someone is thinking about the same stuff or has been thinking about the same stuff as me.

I go to college and this is my last year in my marketing program. I'm scared that i won't get a job bc i dont have a degree.
I went to college bc it's practical, so ill get hands on stuff, smaller class sizes and it's cheaper for me as I didn't want to be in a large debt.

My neighbour told me that i can't get into upper mgmt position unless i have a degree. I think that's dumb bc he said you can have any degree and get into upper mgmt.. but what if my program is really good and i have learned a lot and someone else doens't know as much as I do but have a degree so they will get hired or promoted and i will be left high and dry.

advice :(

MoFo

TRIBE Member
I sign and write references for people going into teacher's college or teaching positions.
But I can't officially teach without a degree.

In marketting, I am not so sure a degree is that important. Hm..

Gunark

TRIBE Member
I worked for a marketing company up until recently. You'll be glad to hear they just hired someone straight out of college for a fairly decent position.

Honestly in this industry a degree means dick all. It's 90% your attitude, personality, and your ability to talk the shit during the interview.

Regarding higher positions -- yes most of the higher ups have degrees, but not all. However, I don't think any of them made it up the ladder because they have a degree. It's the other way around... people who are good at climbing the corporate ladder tend to naturally gravitate towards higher education (it takes the same sort of skills to succeed at both... especially if you're studying something like business).

That said, I can't imagine why anyone would willingly choose to work in marketing. So lame.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Hawk Eye

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Gunark
I worked for a marketing company up until recently. You'll be glad to hear they just hired someone straight out of college for a fairly decent position.

Honestly in this industry a degree means dick all. It's 90% your attitude, personality, and your ability to talk the shit during the interview.

Regarding higher positions -- yes most of the higher ups have degrees, but not all. However, I don't think any of them made it up the ladder because they have a degree. It's the other way around... people who are good at climbing the corporate ladder tend to naturally gravitate towards higher education (it takes the same sort of skills to succeed at both... especially if you're studying something like business).

That said, I can't imagine why anyone would willingly choose to work in marketing. So lame.

I actually want to be an event planner. I want to apply to Molson and do event promotions and sponsorships at their concerts and what.

:)

My program co ordinator told the class that to be a female is hard bc there is the glass cieling unfortuantely..

Torso

TRIBE Member
And Hawk Eye, I truly believe you'll be fine. I don't have any experience in your field, save that I was a bartender and often worked with event planners from Molson and such companies, but I understand that so much depends on personality. I'm sure it's just a matter of proving yourself. You have a background that allows you to get your foot in the door, that's what matters.
If you feel like you are not moving forward in your career at some moment, there is always the option of taking some more courses to boost your credentials.
Good luck.

thom100

TRIBE Member
if its specifically concerts you want to get into, it is not Molson that you'd want to look at , rather House of Blues or Clear Channel. They handle all the planning of almost all concerts in Canada.

Boo

TRIBE Member
Canada has the highest % of 3rd level enrollment in the world. What does that mean?

1.) Everyone seems to have some kind of college so yours is less valued.

2.) You tend to need a higher education to impress someone in the job marketplace.

3.) College actually means fuck all, considering the unemployment rate for under 25's is like 15-20%. Which is 2-3 times the average over 25.

4.) Personality and attitude can not be taught and will set you apart from the lemmings that finish a diploma couse but can barely ad. Don't think about taking more school, give it a real stab at the job market and try to make it on your intangible skills. And if you can't,..... you're not cut out for marketing..period---->.

Silvershadow

TRIBE Member
I think it's just EASIER for you to get into upper management with a degree. If you start at the bottom and work hard, I'm sure you'll eventually get promoted... it just might happen faster if you have a degree, because it LOOKS good. (which is pretty retarded, because I have a degree and spent 5 years and university and learned NOTHING, whereas I learned everything I need to know in my following 2 years of college and in the workplace)

stir-fry

TRIBE Member
Who really worries about making it to upper management straight out of Post Secondary school anyway?

You better hold your breath a little tighter if you think that's where you're heading anytime soon.

zoo

TRIBE Member
degrees look good, that's just how it is

marketing is mostly about being a "people person" and getting things done right

if you're lucky and have success in your job, and have an outgoing personality you will have a fairly easy time moving "up"

why are we always moving "up"?

stupid capitalism

labRat

TRIBE Member
just worry about getting a job outta school first.

the 'moving up' will take time, effort and a lot of cock sucking.