• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

I'm going to San Francisco - HELP!

oh toro

TRIBE Member
no matter where you are in northern cal, the ocean is cold as hell. you may be able to handle a few minutes, but without a wetsuit, you're gonna hate it.

that said, once you get inland, the weather changes dramatically. sf can be 60F while san jose or napa will be 90F. you can never predict what the weather is going to be like in sf during the summer months. it was hot as hell on sunday, but today i'm wearing a leather coat as it's chilly.

mariazmess

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by The Peej
Please remember to wear flowers in your hair.
would that be tacky? cuz i totally wanna. i swear i was a total hippie in a past life. or a surfer girl in the 50s.

or both.

geminigirl

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by labRat
it's a tad chilly in the bay and not really swimmable. head down to santa cruz (~hour drive) if you want to go out in the water.

Yup, that's where I went swimmimg.

You're gonna love San Fran. So fun!

L'ilMisSunshine

TRIBE Member
I thought I'd revive this as I'm heading to San Francisco for a week soon and I really know nothing about this city.

I'll be staying at Hotel Carlton on Sutter St at Larkin St. Is this a decent location? Looks central to me.

I'd love some suggestions for:

- a San Fran based tribe-like website
- parties on March 7 or 8
- recommended restaurants
- day trips (I'm thinking Sonoma, what else?)
- any other cool shit I should do while there!

thanks!

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

oh toro

TRIBE Member
a block away at post and larkin is a bar called divas. consider it central base for the neighborhood. it's about as hardcore as it gets. i don't think it ever closes. about 7-8 years ago there were the occasional cool after after parties (eg. mon mornings - non holidays) but it's pretty much full on tranny bar. during the weekdays the streets around there (within 1-2 blocks from your hotel) are fairly tame. come weekend the streets come alive with streetwalkin' action. there are some females, but mostly he-shes.

if union sq. is what you want to be close to, stay in union sq. and not go into the tenderloin district. a couple places that are reasonably priced are hotel diva (not related to the bar) and hotel triton. another place you might want to consider is elements hostel in the heart of the mission district. it's an awesome place that has the city's only rooftop restaurant/bar. elements is better than most (if not all) hotels in the tenderloin.

i'll chime back in later in the week... briefly.. there isn't a tribe-like site out here. you can find most event listings for the week at www.nitevibe.com ...

I thought I'd revive this as I'm heading to San Francisco for a week soon and I really know nothing about this city.

I'll be staying at Hotel Carlton on Sutter St at Larkin St. Is this a decent location? Looks central to me.

I'd love some suggestions for:

- a San Fran based tribe-like website

thanks!

L'ilMisSunshine

TRIBE Member
a block away at post and larkin is a bar called divas. consider it central base for the neighborhood. it's about as hardcore as it gets. i don't think it ever closes. about 7-8 years ago there were the occasional cool after after parties (eg. mon mornings - non holidays) but it's pretty much full on tranny bar. during the weekdays the streets around there (within 1-2 blocks from your hotel) are fairly tame. come weekend the streets come alive with streetwalkin' action. there are some females, but mostly he-shes.

if union sq. is what you want to be close to, stay in union sq. and not go into the tenderloin district. a couple places that are reasonably priced are hotel diva (not related to the bar) and hotel triton. another place you might want to consider is elements hostel in the heart of the mission district. it's an awesome place that has the city's only rooftop restaurant/bar. elements is better than most (if not all) hotels in the tenderloin.

i'll chime back in later in the week... briefly.. there isn't a tribe-like site out here. you can find most event listings for the week at www.nitevibe.com ...
thanks oh toro - but I am already booked at the Hotel Carlton. So tenderloin is the sketchy neighbourhood I take it?

... I'm looking more for suggestions re:

Klubmasta Will

TRIBE Member
get there a day early and go to this. trust me, the opulent temple has been responsible for the best parties i have ever attended, anywhere.

Opulent Temple Massive w/Carl Cox
Friday, Mar 6 9:00p to Saturday, Mar 7 4:00a
at Treasure Island, San Francisco, CA
To raise funds for it's 2009 Burning Man aspirations, Opulent Temple presents Carl Cox and over 30 DJs and performers in a massive aircraft hangar at Treasure Island

L'ilMisSunshine

TRIBE Member
^^ cool thanks, and actually I get there on the 5th so this opulent temple party is a possibility.

I'm on my own that night though ... and this massive party on an island in a city I don't know may be too much for me on my own :p

oh toro

TRIBE Member
thanks oh toro - but I am already booked at the Hotel Carlton. So tenderloin is the sketchy neighbourhood I take it?

... I'm looking more for suggestions re:

i was actually a block off on where divas is.. it's on post near the corner of polk. nonetheless, the streetwalker action on weekend nights is all the same. oddly enough, it's not really sketch where your hotel is... there isn't much loitering - during the day/weeknights. the tenderloin is probably the sketchiest towards the bottom end of it from turk st. down thru mission st. between 6th (turns into taylor above market) and 9th (turns into larkin above market). most of the concentration of characters are down in that area - homeless, street dealers and addicts, etc. imo, it's sketchy but not unsafe.

http://tinyurl.com/dfq86u

that said, the tenderloin has been transforming (but is still a long ways away). a lot of small bars/lounges have been opening up over the past few years. bourbon+branch, swig and rye are a few good ones. larkin between eddy and o'farrell is "little saigon". you'll find a lot of pakistani-indian restaurants too. in terms of proximity to your hotel are a couple restaurants that are sf institutions that i highly recommend... tommy's joynt at geary and van ness and swan oyster depot on polk just north of california.

in terms of parties... as will said, opulent temple w/carl cox at treasure island on march 6. i'm pretty sure they have shuttle buses for this as treasure island is in sf bay between sf and oakland. march 7... kontrol at the endup with martin landsky and audio werner. this goes til 6 but the club keeps goin as another party carries on... til 4am monday. you could start the night at supperclub for derrick carter til 2-230 then head to kontrol. imo, the atmosphere at these two parties will give you something uniquely sf. you won't get a similar vibe and experience at venues like rubyskye, 1015, temple, etc.

http://www.kontrolsf.com/

restaurants... the two previously mentioned, slanted door (rsvp now - they get booked fast)... check out the following link...

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/food/top100/2008cuisine

but i suggest avoiding those listed under barbecue, chinese, greek and indian - you'll find better back there (at least the last three).

in the city you should check out the cal academy of sciences and de young museum (in gg park).. ferry building (sat if possible during farmers market)...

for day trips...

if you're into wine... tastings at the wineries in napa. not sure if you'll be driving back, but there are drivers that can be hired.

monterey bay aquarium and cannery row in monterey.

lake tahoe... there's plenty of powder up there now that it's been raining almost every day in sf.

you can easily spend your entire time in the city esp. if the weather is nice and sunny. if it's raining i suggest taking a day trip or two...

feel free to ask for more info.

Last edited:

dstarr

TRIBE Member
I'm booked for my third trip to San Fran, second week of October and even though I have already posted in this thread (and other ones) about San Fran,
I figured I would circle back because this trip I am planning on going to a few places I have never done before:

1) Napa/Sonoma
How long should I do the wine thing and what wineries should I visit? Any hotel recommendations? Are bike tours any good?

2) Carmel/Monterrey
Other than aquarium and pebble beach, anything I should be doing in that area? I've been to Big Sur before but never stopped in Carmel or Monterrey.

Booty Bits

TRIBE Member
1) if you really enjoy wine, you could easily spend a good 5-7 days there. if you just wanna check it out, you could cram it all in to 2 days. i think we spent about 4 days there and had a blast.
i really enjoyed the tour and tasting at Schramsberg. they are a large producer of sparkling wine made in the "methode traditionnelle". we booked a car and driver for 1 day so that we wouldn't have to worry about driving drunk. that day we focused on sparkling and just asked him to take us to all the wineries that are good producers of bubbly.
you could pick a grape varietal you really like and focus your energies on that. it may help to narrow down your choices of tastings.
we stayed at the Gaige Inn and the Kenwood Inn, both were incredibly gorgeous and amazing, but both have jacked up their prices since we stayed there, so I wouldn't recommend them.

dstarr

TRIBE Member
1) if you really enjoy wine, you could easily spend a good 5-7 days there. if you just wanna check it out, you could cram it all in to 2 days. i think we spent about 4 days there and had a blast.
i really enjoyed the tour and tasting at Schramsberg. they are a large producer of sparkling wine made in the "methode traditionnelle". we booked a car and driver for 1 day so that we wouldn't have to worry about driving drunk. that day we focused on sparkling and just asked him to take us to all the wineries that are good producers of bubbly.
you could pick a grape varietal you really like and focus your energies on that. it may help to narrow down your choices of tastings.
we stayed at the Gaige Inn and the Kenwood Inn, both were incredibly gorgeous and amazing, but both have jacked up their prices since we stayed there, so I wouldn't recommend them.
This is some great info - thanks. I love the idea of doing a sparkling tour and never even thought of that.

How much did the driver cost? Did you ever do any biking around the wineries?

Karim

TRIBE Member
Just got back from a 5 day trip in San Francisco and I loved it.

I stayed at the Adelaide Hostel which I thought was great and had a great location.

Napa/Sonoma was incredible. And like mentioned in this thread, is worthy of a 5 day trip alone.

Such an awesome city and I cannot wait to go back. May look into doing grad school out there.

Edit: We spent a sunday afternoon on Hippie Hill in Golden Gate Park for the drum circle and thought it was great!

Last edited: