• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

I'm back! Did anyone miss me? No? 2017 thread.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
sunset.jpg

What an absolutely amazing epic treasure hunting adventure I had! I decided to spend a full month on Mauritius Island, hunting all 4 coasts. Found a lot of rings and still hold the world lead in rings found :

The Depot Ring Daddy Page

although some of those other guys hunt every single day of the year for 6 hours a day so I expect I won't be number 1 for too much longer.

Still, while I was out in the ocean it occurred to me that I was doing the number one item on my bucket list - a very satisfying feeling; even if I hadn't found any treasure at all. Doing something big for yourself like this is something everyone should do in their lifetime. It mightn't be treasure hunting for you, but whatever it is, make a plan, do it.

Anyway, here are some pictures:

statue.jpg

bronze hindu icon

silver-bracelet.jpg

giant silver bracelet

shadow.jpg

Going home after a day in the water in Le Morne

le-morne.jpg

Le Morne peninsula with coral reefs and deep water crevasse

giant-urchin.jpg

The largest sea urchin I have ever seen

gear.jpg

the gear

excal.jpg

in the water

Stop Bill C-10

kennyboy

TRIBE Member
Amazing pics Alex. Just curious, where do you stay when you are on Mauritius?

And is it expensive to spend a month there?

Thanks

praktik

TRIBE Member
Agreed. Can we get a hi res pic for wallpaper? Did you take it from a helicopter?

Is it YOUR pic Alex??

just thought you scooped that one from the internet as its like, poster/postcard/windows distributed default wallpaper good

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
I did not take that pic. It is a helicopter shot of the Le Morne area - large versions are available online.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
Amazing pics Alex. Just curious, where do you stay when you are on Mauritius?

And is it expensive to spend a month there?

Thanks

I stayed at 4 different AirBnBs. All were amazing. It cost me about $1300 CAD for the entire month for the accommodation alone. You could get much cheaper if you were more inland or further away from the resort areas. I needed to be very close to the main beach areas because I wanted to walk there with my gear.

praktik

TRIBE Member
Ah helicopter - but i guess getting that kind of shot is easier for more peeps - could probably get somethign close with a drone. Alex - your shots are pretty awesome - have you thought of using a drone to get good shots in places you're travelling?

Could maybe sell some of em for postcards or something..;)

Would a drone be of any use scouting as you're looking for metal - do drones have any capacity to detect potential metal and point you to a place to check out more closely with your other gear?

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
Mauritians are Hindu, Christian, and Muslim and multiracial and they all get along. It is amazing to see.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
Ah helicopter - but i guess getting that kind of shot is easier for more peeps - could probably get somethign close with a drone. Alex - your shots are pretty awesome - have you thought of using a drone to get good shots in places you're travelling?

Could maybe sell some of em for postcards or something..;)

Would a drone be of any use scouting as you're looking for metal - do drones have any capacity to detect potential metal and point you to a place to check out more closely with your other gear?

Drones would work to scan areas for underwater erosion but most seaside areas have wind and wind and drones don't mix. I talked to several people who brought drones to Mauritius and lost them in the sea. In my area of South Africa you ca only use the most expensive drones because wind gusts just take them away.