• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

I'm back! Did anybody miss me? No? 2015

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
What happen?

Did anyone miss me? No? Ah it is great to be back on a stable internet connection that isn't dependent on the sketchy South African national electricity provider or dassies chewing on the wires somewhere.

A good treasure hunting season was had in Mauritius and South Africa! 32 gold rings and 2 platinum rings found so far this year, not too shabby.

Big changes in store for TRIBE in the next few weeks... Heliox has been testing a cloud based setup of TRIBE for a number of weeks and it seems to be working, so we are moving to an elastic secure cloud based setup.

I am also changing the board software to a different product called Xenforo, which is now stable and tested and which is the software a lot of the other older big vb boards have migrated to.

The board will look different though, as this new forum software has a particular look and feel, something similar to this maybe:

https://xenforo.com/community/

It is good to be home I reckon.

Stop Bill C-10

djfear

TRIBE Member
The winter was as brutal as last year's, Nepal is devastated, ISIS is still here, Plastician party was awesome, Morocco underwhelmed me, and I crashed my motorcycle in October, so my posts on that thread are just a former shell of themselves, and finally there are no scandals with our new mayor.

Primavera

TRIBE Member
Welcome back Alex.

I want a full report on SA.

How inconsistent is the electricity coverage?

My Dad (in Joburg) says the blackouts are pretty common/regular now.

You are in Durban right? What was the reaction there to the clashes with police / killing the foreign business owners?

How is that ineffective corrupt moron Zuma still in power?

Tell All!

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

SneakyPete

TRIBE Member
Will the new software let us link to other video sites(Vine!) other than youtube. It'd also be nice to be able to embed tweets.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
How inconsistent is the electricity coverage?

My Dad (in Joburg) says the blackouts are pretty common/regular now.

The situation is very bad. When I was there (for 3 months), there were blackouts usually 2 hours a day, often at random times, but always between 6 am - 10 pm.

They are basically having to ration electricity across the entire country because they don't have enough to cover the demand. For the last 20 years the national electricity provider, Eskom, was being eviscerated as talented engineers left or were pushed out and were replaced by friends and family and cronies. Power plants were not maintained and began to fail one by one. New plants were not being built. It reached a critical point in January where a tipping point was reached and they had to start "load shedding" or power rationing to keep the national grid from completely collapsing.

There were signs of trouble four or five years ago when the power would occasionally go out and the government said it would build new plants. One was started and has not been completed and construction employees at the plant under construction went on strike and demanded exorbitant advance cash bonuses in order to even show up for work. They were all fired. Then rehired. At this point I have no idea if the new plant is still being built. In any case, that is only one plant and a drop in the bucket of what is required.

Currently South Africa is importing huge volumes of diesel fuel to fire temporary generators at enormous cost as a stop-gap measure to keep the grid from collapsing completely.

I suspect the country is only 1 or 2 power plant failures away from a total grid failure, which would be catastrophic.The power could be out for weeks or months.

These power failures are not only effecting residential power users, but also industrial users. Plants & mines have to be shut down for those 2 hours a day or spend huge on private generating capacity to keep running. This is beginning to have an effect on exports already.

KickIT

TRIBE Member
Was just gonna say. I'm guessing these batteries will sell like hotcakes in SA. Good time to buy TSLA.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
OK, I sold nearly all of them in South Africa, but I did take pics. will post today!