1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

ill.Gates @ tiger, September 18, 2010

Discussion in 'Event Reviews' started by wickedken, Sep 22, 2010.

1. wickedken

wickedken TRIBE Member

What an interesting set. At the place for a friend's birthday and this was actually the first time I've heard a set from ill.Gates from start to finish, and the first time hearing pr.incest. Coming from a more housey/techno inclination and not really feeling the dubstep, I wasn't too sure what to expect. However by the end of the night I left quite surprised and impressed.

Tiger is a very small space in the basement of a small neighbourhood bar. I had my doubts to how this would play out, but it ended up very nicely. Quite a number of people but because it was so small you were so up close to the DJ booth that it was a very intimate setting. Andrew Gray aka Sidenote had the warm up slot, leading to ill.Gates and completing with pr.incest.

I tend to avoid dubstep nights nowadays for a number of reasons but overall there wasn't that much "wah-wah" dubstep on this night, instead it was a nicely programmed, chill+hype series of really groovy tracks.

Andrew and Dylan have always been very good, but I'm quite impressed with Dylan's growth in his programming - this is the attribute that makes a set special and this night was very well done.

Special mention goes to pr.incest. I had no idea what to expect but once she started I didn't mind sticking around to the end. A good mix of interesting, thumpy, and noisy music. A great end to the night.

edit: I'm still preferring to avoid the "hard" dubstep nights (don't even know if that's a subgenre) but if its just good music I might be tempted to go.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2010
  2. Destro Sanchez

Destro Sanchez TRIBE Member

Not feeling the 'wobble' dubstep, eh?

I 'ear ya.

3. mrtunes

mrtunes TRIBE Member

i just had a funny memory of a dubstep party that is reviewed on this board from maybe two years ago.

it was at tiger bar, not sure if ill.gates was playing. but some fellow came by who was the epitomy of body odour. it seemed by the reviews that everyone was in agreement.

4. Destro Sanchez

Destro Sanchez TRIBE Member

Bassnectar at Wrongbar?

Held my nose for the whole show. (and put it in my review)

:D

I never want to relive that stink again.

5. glych t.anomaly

glych t.anomaly TRIBE Member

i had a blast !

andrews set was great, some dub, some more pumping ukg feeling tracks though not quite as fast, and more bas heavy, dylans set was fucking fantastic, more of a DJ set, with alot of new tracks and remxies, thoroughly pleased. it wasnt even too hot, and i dont think it was very stinky at all. Nunich's set was great, but i had to leave half way through, take Dylan's turntable, and get my amp for an afterparty that we all ended up at :) twas grand !

alot of great people came out, and alot of peeps reprazenting.

glad to hear you enjoyed it ken, as you are generally the dubstep naysayer and voice your opinions about it frequently , which i do truly love.

whaaeewwww party.

[jai]