1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Ignorance or egotistical?

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by Jeremy Jive, Aug 26, 2003.

1. Jeremy Jive

Jeremy Jive TRIBE Member

There is one part of my job that baffles me day in and day out. Some of my clients can not wrap their heads around the concept of spending money promoting themselves. If you ask them to advertise in the magazine they say no and that they don't spend money paying to promote their directors. They won't even pay for a subscription. They 'expect' us to give it to them for free and they 'expect' us to cover their directors on a regular basis.

They can not understand the idea that if you don't support the industry trade magazine with their advertising dollars then the magazine disappears and they are left with dick-all.

Is it ignorance or just inflated egos?

jeremy -combination- jive

2. KickIT

KickIT TRIBE Member

Hrmmm maybe you're just a bad salesman. Ha!

*c*

3. PRIMAL

PRIMAL TRIBE Member

It's totally eagle testicles.

4. It's taking things for granted, and trying to take advantage. Just about every business, it's become almost expected that perks will be doled out like the gravy train, and get uppity when they don't get what they've come to expect. Perks are great, but need to be earned, which a lot of companies these days don't seem to want to be responsible for - earning the perks.

P.S. check the pm box

5. alexd

alexd Administrator Staff Member

try selling ads to nightclubs

6. Harmonika

Harmonika TRIBE Member

You forgot, everything comes in threes. Like when I go to the park, I always make sure to pick up at least *three* pieces of trash, that was I can justify taking one of the swings that the kiddies would normally be playing on.

So, ignorance, egotism, or just plain ole st00pid?

i.

7. JESuX

JESuX TRIBE Member

Ohhh Jesus!

(now you're gonna git him started!)

:p

8. Silvershadow

Silvershadow TRIBE Member

Everybody wants something for nothing...

And when you DO offer them something for free, they STILL find some reason to bitch about it. (ask anybody who's worked for a public library, or where I work)

Bottom line, people think that everything is owed to them and are never happy.

9. kuba

kuba TRIBE Member

combination of both.

I have the same problem. WE sell our research for about $36,000 for 10 reports. Of course, each company I interview wants a copy for FREE just "cuz".

Same thing as with you, Jer. They are ignorant of our business model and egotistical thinking their words will make the report.

10. judge wopner

judge wopner TRIBE Member

what type of work is that, invesment or
    policy type stuff?