• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

If you were born in the province of Quebec

*SiLver*RoBoT*

TRIBE Member
Just a heads up - if you were born in Quebec prior to 1994, you need to obtain a new birth certificate. Quebec and Canada no longer recognizes your original birth certificate as legal.

I waited in line for 4 hours yesterday to get my passport, only to be told that Quebec is issuing new birth certificates, even if you already have one.

Apparently Quebec use to give out baptismal certificates instead of birth certificates, and honoured that as proof of citizenship. People from other countries started to baptize their kids in Quebec and therefore became Canadian Citizens.

When Quebec finally caught on, they deemed all birth certificates and baptismal certificates as not legit.

Anyway, I still think it's a money grab seeing that ones with baptismal certificates should be the ones having to apply for a birth certificate.

To obtain an application you can do so here:

http://www.etatcivil.gouv.qc.ca

Takes about 3 weeks to obtain, or one week if you pay the accelerated processing fee. ($35)

*over*and*out*

*SiLver*RoBoT*

Evil Dynovac

TRIBE Member
I was born in Quebec (1969 - yikes!) and have a plastic one, a laminated card that fits into my wallet. You saying that won't be good anymore? Thanks for the heads up! I will look into it.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

*SiLver*RoBoT*

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Evil Dynovac
I was born in Quebec (1969 - yikes!) and have a plastic one, a laminated card that fits into my wallet. You saying that won't be good anymore? Thanks for the heads up! I will look into it.

That's the one I have. They no longer honour it. Need to apply for a new one.

Just don't want anyone to get boned if they are planning on going on a vacation and do not have a passport yet. Thank God the honeymoon is still a few months away.

*over*and*out*

*SiLver*RoBoT*

patri©k

TRIBE Member
yeah.. I got fucked out of a trip to vegas because of it last year.

:p

so.. I ordered 2. a small one and a larger one. just don't laminate them.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
I did it last year. I paid the accelerated processing fee and they had it to me in 2 days

*SiLver*RoBoT*

TRIBE Member
They told me it will take a minimum of a week for accelerated processing. Maybe it's longer now because they're getting more requests.

*over*and*out*

*SiLver*RoBoT*

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
If you need it fast (like I did) there is a place on the form for "circumstances", I also faxed them a note with the form saying how urgent it was.

kodos

TRIBE Member

Laminated anything is no good for a passport btw...

JESuX

TRIBE Member

How did you get the plastic card???

I had to re-apply for my birth certificate in '98. I had the original piece of tattered paper that was written out in full English. Not ONE number appeared on my official birth certificate, everything was written out. "This year of nineteen hundred and eighty ".

I was issued a new one, they not only screwed up my sur name and middle names, but they also gave me a certificate printed on the same consistency paper as money. Only slighty more fragile.

My "new" certificate is now vaild, but is also in PIECES.

Boo.

Silvershadow

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by patri©k
DOLLARD des ORMEAUX IN THE 'OUSE!
Go team DDO!!!! :D

Yeah, that came into effect quite some time ago... a few years. I remember my dad sent in for new birth certificates for our entire family when they changed the system. I guess the fact that we still all lived in Quebec allowed us to be on top of things.

Zorro

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by *SiLver*RoBoT*
Just a heads up - if you were born in Quebec prior to 1994, you need to obtain a new birth certificate. Quebec and Canada no longer recognizes your original birth certificate as legal.

I waited in line for 4 hours yesterday to get my passport, only to be told that Quebec is issuing new birth certificates, even if you already have one.

Apparently Quebec use to give out baptismal certificates instead of birth certificates, and honoured that as proof of citizenship. People from other countries started to baptize their kids in Quebec and therefore became Canadian Citizens.

When Quebec finally caught on, they deemed all birth certificates and baptismal certificates as not legit.

Anyway, I still think it's a money grab seeing that ones with baptismal certificates should be the ones having to apply for a birth certificate.

To obtain an application you can do so here:

http://www.etatcivil.gouv.qc.ca

Takes about 3 weeks to obtain, or one week if you pay the accelerated processing fee. ($35)

*over*and*out*

*SiLver*RoBoT*

HA HA JASON your a FROG.

Hey how's chuckie???

cosmiK-Cat

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by *SiLver*RoBoT*

*over*and*out*

*SiLver*RoBoT*

Sure did take them a frigging long time to figure that out-from that alone I think your suspicions regarding a $ grab are true.

I guess this means Hobo is illegal. I feel dirty. ;)
-J