• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

if my flight leaves at 1110- when should i..

kuba

TRIBE Member
be at the airport? flying to ottawa- first ever non-internatioal flight. same rules apply?

1110am departure.

thx.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

supakeli

TRIBE Member
nah, for non-international I get there an hour before, tops and i've never had a problem, even though they say 2 hours.

For international, they say 3.

VinylRach

TRIBE Promoter
although true, last time i flew to BC i waited in a line for 45 mins to check my luggage (BY THE WAY great discovery at the airport when i flew to San Diego last month. Get those luggage guys in the red hats outside to carry your luggage. you pay them 15 bucks and they'll bring you right to the front of the line ahead of everyone. great!)

Bass-Invader

TRIBE Member
supakeli said:
nah, for non-international I get there an hour before, tops and i've never had a problem.
You can show up later, but if there is a delay, you only have 15 minutes to make it to the checkin counter before you are denied the flight.

Gizmo

TRIBE Member
Dude, 60 minutes is no problem for domestic.

Edit: bass invader has a good point, but isn't it 30 minutes prior for shut down? I flew to Montreal a few weeks ago, and literally got there 40 minutes and got on ok.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

dicksherwood

TRIBE Member
60 minutes is fine, fck I got to Pearson 40 minutes before my flight to the UK left last year and there were no probs.

All that arrive early stuff is bs unless going to the US (where they won't let you on the flight if you don't hit customs with 45 mins to go) or you're flying during xmas/March break

I_bRAD

TRIBE Member
An hour ahead of time to get there,
An hour flight
Time to get your baggage
Time to get to and from each airport...

vs. 4 hours drive.
Why fly?

Bass-Invader

TRIBE Member
Gizmo said:
Dude, 60 minutes is no problem for domestic.

Edit: bass invader has a good point, but isn't it 30 minutes prior for shut down? I flew to Montreal a few weeks ago, and literally got there 40 minutes and got on ok.
it might be 30 for shutdown. Maybe the 45 was when i missed my chicago flight.

Vise

TRIBE Member
I once showed up about 25mins before a flight to Montreal (flying for business) and I basically walked right on the plane and we took off. As long as you're not checking baggage it shouldn't be an issue if you show up 45-60mins in advance.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Bass-Invader

TRIBE Member
Vise said:
I once showed up about 25mins before a flight to Montreal (flying for business) and I basically walked right on the plane and we took off. As long as you're not checking baggage it shouldn't be an issue if you show up 45-60mins in advance.
That's unusual. You must have gotten lucky. Even with only carry on they are supposed to deny you entry after the cutoff.

Vise

TRIBE Member
Yeah I think so... it was a full fare ticket ($720 to Montreal!) so maybe they thought I was as important as the rest of the suits on the plane or something.

bblutoo

TRIBE Member
I'm sorry, I may be new, but why does this warrant a thread? I can understand the restaurant suggestion threads and whatnot, but don't you have any friends/family that have a basic understanding of domestic flight travel you could ask?

(And now I will prepeare to be destroyed by the responses...)

Flashy_McFlash

Well-Known TRIBEr
According to the Amazing Race, get there ten minutes after check-in and you should be able to get them to hold the plane on the runway.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Agent Smith

TRIBE Member
Bass-Invader said:
You can show up later, but if there is a delay, you only have 15 minutes to make it to the checkin counter before you are denied the flight.
Wrong. For domestic flights you can check in any time 30 minutes before flight before you get cut off.

Jake, for safety, get there 1 hour ahead. If I were making the flight, I'd get there 40 minutes ahead.

Air Canada's 60 min. check-in rule 'unenforceable'
Updated Fri. Feb. 3 2006 9:23 AM ET

CTV.ca News Staff

A federal tribunal has ordered Air Canada to reimburse a man whose two sons were denied boarding passes because airline officials said they arrived too late, reports The Globe and Mail.

The Canadian Transportation Agency ruled that Air Canada's recommended check-in time of 60 minutes before the takeoff of domestic flights is unenforceable.

On May 17, 2004, Craig McIntyre dropped off his sons, Eric and Scott, at Montreal's Pierre Elliott Trudeau International airport at 8:10 a.m. ET.

They were booked on an 8:55 a.m. ET Edmonton-bound flight.

The airline refused to permit them to check in because they were too late, so their father had to spend an additional $1,482 to get them seats on a WestJet flight.

Air Canada argued that its check-in time conditions are clearly printed on their tickets, and that "failing to meet this requirement will results in the cancellation of a passenger's reservation."

The airline also said passengers must be at the boarding gate 25 minutes before departure.

But McIntyre said he bought his sons' tickets on-line, and time limits for check-in were not included.

Further, he said when he returned to Edmonton a week later, he was told by an Air Canada agent that the cut-off time was 30 minutes before departure, and "less if it is not busy."

The CTA ruled that Air Canada's 60-minute check-in limit should be a recommendation only. However, it said the 25-minute deadline for passengers to be at the boarding gate is a valid requirement.

". . . as long as a passenger has completed check-in more than 25 minutes prior to the scheduled departure of the flight, the carrier does not have the right to cancel that passenger's reservation," said the CTA.

It added: "Had Scott and Eric been allowed the opportunity to reach the boarding gate in sufficient time for the 25-minute cut-off, they may have been able to do so."

Air Canada spokesperson Peter Fitzpatrick told The Globe and Mail that the airline has modified its website to clarify check-in times, and that it is also reviewing the CTA's ruling.

For domestic flights, the recommended check-in time is 60 minutes before departure; the check-in deadline is 30 minutes; and the boarding gate deadline is 20 minutes.

Agent Smith

TRIBE Member
Bass-Invader said:
That's unusual. You must have gotten lucky. Even with only carry on they are supposed to deny you entry after the cutoff.
Wrong again. If the flight is full, they can give your ticket away if you get there less than 30 minutes before departure. If the flight is not full, the airline will generally try to get you on the flight. As long as you can get to the gate prior to departure time, they'll generally help you out.