• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Idiotic Music Question

Polymorph

TRIBE Member
So... which are better? VSTs or AUs?

Of most of the audio plugins I have, I seem to have both types here, duplicated in their appropriate audio folders...

I'd like to *delete* one type here, in order to conserve hard-drive memory space...

Ableton Live reads both types, so if one type goes, no problemo really....

So, is there any real quality difference between AudioUnits and VST's...

Your 2-cents please, DJs....

PS: I also have several plugs in RTAS format, but since I don't own Protools, well, that's just a vanity fix, really.

Thanks

(btw, I really do want some answers to this question. I mean, what's the diff., really, between AUs and VST's.... Please. Extrapolate.)

Last edited:

Doran

TRIBE Member
found a thread on a mac board about this..
http://www.bigbluelounge.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=45249#45249
has a pretty detailed explanation of "Why is AU better than VST?"

found in another board: "the sound quality of an AU is not superior to a VST effect or instrument. Both generally use 32-bit floating processing internally." so there shouldn't be any noticable quality difference.

i've been using VST for a while, never really bothered finding out about the others.. that said I'll probably give the AU version a go

Polymorph

TRIBE Member
wow^^^now THAT thread's some geek language.

Whatever. The message, as per that guy, is clear. VSTs, you SUCK!!!

Not that I personally have ever pushed mine to such extreme limits as to encounter all those geek complications as that guy described. So, I still like my VSTs. Very very much.

Still, duplicate VSTs, you heard the man, you're outta here!

PS: Thanx for that:)