1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Identify the frequency of a tone in a .wav file? Is there shareware I can use for that?

Discussion in 'Electronic Music Producers Forum' started by alexd, Jun 8, 2013.

1. alexd

alexd Administrator Staff Member

I need to identify the frequency of a tone my underwater metal detector produces when it senses gold. I want to set up another detector to produce the same tone for gold (the sounds are customizable on the other machine). I want both to match.

Is there some kind of small piece of software, shareware, or app I can use to measure the frequency of a tone (recorded as a wav file)?

Thanks

2. cosmosuave

cosmosuave TRIBE Member

Parametric EQ will identify the tone... Any software eq can do this... Set the eq for like -30 ddb hi Q setting and sweep across the freq spectrum til the tone disappears and that is the freq range tone you are looking for... If I was at a computer I coild post an example...

3. alison87

alison87 TRIBE Member

A program i have to give props to that no one seems to have heard of is Wavosaur (Wavosaur free audio editor with VST and ASIO support). It's a very lightweight freeware sample editor you can load VSTs into and tweak them real-time (unlike Audacity where you're stuck rendering sounds like it's still 1996). I use it for my Ableton sample editor, but also to do masters because it's dedicated and i don't get distracted with all the other crap in normal DAWs. Download that and the Melda Production free effects bundle (MeldaProduction, professional audio processing software) and you can do pretty much any audio processing you need.

4. Deus

Deus TRIBE Member

If you don't want to mess with a bunch of software, you can record the tones and send them to me. I have all kinds of spectrum analyzers.

5. alexd

Can you take them off the audio on this youtube video?

The sounds I need are the gold rings in 'discriminate' which the guy describes in his video. On this partiqular metal detector, the tone frequency in discriminate varies depending to the type of metal in front of the coil. Ignore the 'pinpont' tones he describes. FYI with this metal detector, 'pinpont' mode produces the same tone frequency for all metals, in 'discriminate' the tonal frequency varies depending on the metal.

[YOUTUBE]fcvAOv75Zrk[/YOUTUBE]

6. Deus

Deus TRIBE Member

@ 47s 8g 14k white gold ring = 403Hz
    @ 2:15 14k yellow gold ring = 425Hz
    @ 2:49 whatever this is made of = 413Hz

7. alexd

Wow thanks!!!