• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Ideas for my 40th birthday

Beer babe

TRIBE Member
I'm not one to make a big deal about birthdays for myself, but i'm turning 40 and pretty psyched about it, so want to do something fun this time.

Looking for ideas/venues etc for probably around 30 people (totally guessing at this point). I'm thinking a place where you can eat, drink & dance? I'm really looking for some suggestions at this point as i have no idea what to do.

And PLEASE don't say crocodile rock....i'll scream.

Thanks TRIBE!

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Sal De Ban

TRIBE Member
renting a cottage is the new dinner party. if your friends really love you, they'll celebrate all weekend in your honour. also thanks for making me feel super young :D

Beer babe

TRIBE Member
Hey just get two twenty year old's and stay home all night.
That's not a horrible idea.

Reserve Rock Lobster's back patio! Talk to djglobalkiller!
I don't eat lobster :(

renting a cottage is the new dinner party. if your friends really love you, they'll celebrate all weekend in your honour. also thanks for making me feel super young :D
Only problem is my birthday is in January so getting to a cottage in winter could be dicey. And i want everyone to be hammered so no one could drive home.

Cham
Fucking
Pagne
If everyone else is paying, i would do this.

sk8

TRIBE Member
Only problem is my birthday is in January so getting to a cottage in winter could be dicey. And i want everyone to be hammered so no one could drive home.
I rented a cottage for my husbands 20-somethingth birthday one January. It was awesome and had a sauna. We all did get hammered and slept in various locations around the cottage. Very fun weekend.

Blysspluss

TRIBE Member
You only turn the current age you are now once. And now again...And now again.

Either cottage party or road trip would be my votes. Nothing like a good tour with friends.

mitsuko souma

TRIBE Member
Remington's? A 40th birthday is the only possible occasion one could get away with this.
Though I wouldn't advise eating there.

Sal De Ban

TRIBE Member
Honestly - consider the cottage thing. As IF people don't cottage in the winter. Blue Mountain? Chalet? Hitting the slopes is optional - skis are purely cosmetic! My top choice still stands. :D

awwnaw

TRIBE Member
In my head I thought you were in your mid 20's! Congrats on a milestone bday!
Depending on how much work you want to do (organizing a decent group) Lounge 88 (across from Btondos on Clinton at college) lets people throw private parties. You just need to make sure the bar tab comes to at least $1k and they'll do a night for you. I did this a few years ago for a friends bday and it ruled and was super easy. Not sure the deal now but an option maybe.

Another thing I've done for smaller gatherings is just called up and asked if my people and I could take over the back/designated area and bring our own cake/cupcakes and a couple non cheesy decorations. Small places are often cool with this as it usually means they'll get a decent amount of business before midnight. I did it both at Salvador Darling and Queen n Beaver upstairs. Didn't know anyone, just called and asked. Friday nights are usual best.

I also haven't lived in Toronto for 2 years so all of these places may now be closed :) But the premise the same: small private place (so long as you don't make it 100% private) are pretty accommodating.

erika

TRIBE Member
^
Yes, Salvador Darling would be a good place for this. You can even organize your own dj if you feel inclined and give them enough notice.