• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!
14K Cannabis seed slider pendants by tribe

Ice water Vs. Room Temp - Help Meeeeeee

squirrely

TRIBE Member
i stupidly told my co-workers that you should ALWAYS drink water at room temperature and then realised i had no clue whatsoever how to back up my claim that it's "better for you."

*is it* better for you??? help me not look like an idiot even though i so totally am.

MoFo

TRIBE Member
I heard this on a talk show. Two people (don't wanna say who) were agreeing on this. And then moved on to another subject. *shrug*

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
squirrely said:
i stupidly told my co-workers that you should ALWAYS drink water at room temperature and then realised i had no clue whatsoever how to back up my claim that it's "better for you."

*is it* better for you??? help me not look like an idiot even though i so totally am.

Everything you digest is at body temperature. If you drink cold water your body actually needs to heat it up before it can use it. Thus you burn up calories and generate heat by drinking cold water while drinking room temperature (actually warmer is better) requires no energy to digest.

Tribe 14K gold cannabis seed slider pendant and chain

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
this is also why drinking a cold drink in summer will cause you to start sweating! your body is actually generating heat in excess of what it needs while already trying to get rid of heat.

Your actually going to have more cooling effect drinking a hot tea than an iced tea. Additionally your body will actually generat more heat in winter eating ice cream than drinking a hot chocolate.

Wiseman

TRIBE Member
water closer to your body temperature may be better but cold water will make you better looking and get you cooler friends!

Booty Bits

TRIBE Member
your body absorbs it more quickly if its warm.
so if you are drinking to replenish your fluids, then you want to drink warm water. but lets not kid each other, if you're really, really thirsty, chances are you are craving a glass of cold water and not a tepid one.

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
* The temperature of ice water can be estimated at zero degrees Celsius.
* Body temperature can be estimated at 37 degrees Celsius.
* It takes 1 calorie to raise 1 gram of water 1 degree Celsius.
* There are 1000 grams in 1l of water.

Thus 37,000 Calories, however Calories and calories are actually different, this is actually 37 calories (as in basically shit all).

So yes if you drink you 3 litres of ice water a day you'll burn up 100 some odd calories plus the calories taken in the physical movement of lifting the water.

JESuX

TRIBE Member
Ditto Much said:
this is also why drinking a cold drink in summer will cause you to start sweating! your body is actually generating heat in excess of what it needs while already trying to get rid of heat.

Your actually going to have more cooling effect drinking a hot tea than an iced tea. Additionally your body will actually generat more heat in winter eating ice cream than drinking a hot chocolate.
that's fucking effed.

i hate you, science!

JESuX

TRIBE Member
Ditto Much said:
* The temperature of ice water can be estimated at zero degrees Celsius.
* Body temperature can be estimated at 37 degrees Celsius.
* It takes 1 calorie to raise 1 gram of water 1 degree Celsius.
* There are 1000 grams in 1l of water.

Thus 37,000 Calories, however Calories and calories are actually different, this is actually 37 calories (as in basically shit all).

So yes if you drink you 3 litres of ice water a day you'll burn up 100 some odd calories plus the calories taken in the physical movement of lifting the water.
fuck you, calories!

take that!

Sinister Shadow

TRIBE Member
Ditto Much said:

I agree with this in theory. In theory.

On a hot day, I overheat like crazy. My body can't cool itself. By drinking a cold drink I lower my core temperature. I stop sweating because the excess heat has been absorbed by the cold drink so that I can digest it. Far from causing my body to create more heat, it absorbs what my body is trying to get rid of in the first place by sweating like a horse.

On a cold day, if I'm cold, it's because my body can't keep up (I rarely if ever get cold). By drinking a warm drink I give my system a break. It can use the new heat and distribute it to those areas that need help (my fingers/ears). Eating an ice cream in such a state would put my body in further cold deficit. Though it needs to heat up the ice cream it can't as it was already behind on keeping me warm.

Thus, in theory, and controlled conditions this may work as suggested. In practice I think using the positive (in winter) or negative (in summer) heat energy of a drink does in fact help.

KillaLadY

TRIBE Member
Sinister Shadow said:
Thus, in theory, and controlled conditions this may work as suggested. In practice I think using the positive (in winter) or negative (in summer) heat energy of a drink does in fact help.
I agree with this completely.

MoFo

TRIBE Member
Booty Bits said:
your body absorbs it more quickly if its warm.
so if you are drinking to replenish your fluids, then you want to drink warm water. but lets not kid each other, if you're really, really thirsty, chances are you are craving a glass of cold water and not a tepid one.
Don't even get me started.

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
okay I know this for an actual reason!

We used to heat the water in our chicken barns to reduce the calorie consumption of the birds. We also did it to reduce the amount of heat generated in the summer. Yup adding heat to the water reduced heat in the building.

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
Sinister Shadow said:

Don't get me wrong, I've got an ice cold bottle of water at my desk regardless of what the science says. But I know its a psychosomatic response to feel cool after a cold drink.

Booty Bits

TRIBE Member
i've also heard that in some hot climates, people will drink hot drinks to cool off.

i'm not going to pretend to know the science, i'm just repeating what i've heard!

Sinister Shadow

TRIBE Member
Ditto Much said:
okay I know this for an actual reason!

We used to heat the water in our chicken barns to reduce the calorie consumption of the birds. We also did it to reduce the amount of heat generated in the summer. Yup adding heat to the water reduced heat in the building.
Again a controlled condition in which the animal was not overheating or underheating.

In stasis, I fully agree. Drink something that is your own temperature to maintain stasis and reduce caloric use.

However, if you're at any extreme (hot/cold) then you need an adjustment which your body is failing to provide. Assuming that is, that the body is in trouble, then you can use an external supply to assist.