1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

ice t vs soulja boy

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by why not, Jun 22, 2008.

1. The Peej

The Peej TRIBE Member

2. diablo

diablo TRIBE Member

Give me "Ha" by Juvenile or give me death.

3. zorak

zorak TRIBE Member

DMX pwns soulja boy.

4. Chris

Chris Well-Known TRIBEr

5. zoo

zoo TRIBE Member

Sorry, I typed DMX, but I was thinking Ja Rule (ca. J-Lo collaborations). I made that exact same slip-up a few days ago mid-conversation.

6. why not

why not TRIBE Member

speaking of mainstream hip-hop, i saw 50 cent last night, and i almost felt sorry for him.
    he'd play a song, end it, and there was complete silence across the crowd - no clapping, no booing, nothing.
    dude looked so confused and perplexed.

7. Flashy_McFlash

Flashy_McFlash Well-Known TRIBEr

And in what universe is 'Who Let The Dogs Out' hip hop?!

Also, Miami bass is immune to all charges of ruining hip-hop.

And Rumpshaker is a dope jam.

8. Krzysiu

Krzysiu TRIBE Member

I always thought mainstream hip-hop was an oxymoron. Hip-hop was an underground counter-culture that reflected a community of urban african-american.

MCs basically tossed some interesting lyrics or message over a hook from a dj to keep the crowd interested in the music.

It is community-centric, topical and simple in its construction. Almost the complete opposite of the opulence of the end of the funk era.

Rap music was the commercialized and popularized child of hip-hop when labels appropriated the ideas behind hip-hop culture and added a 15.99 label to it. The DJ moved to behind the scenes as merely an aid to help the mc - now the star of the show - keep his rhythm.

Rap is a career where you put out one or two albums that do really well - because rappers do have talent - but then you take that money, buy a gaudy house featured on MTV and then fade to behind the scenes or pursue acting as a d-lister celebrity.

Hip-hop artists are living a lifestyle not only based around music, fashion, art and street art but also a mindset rejecting the bastardized commercialized appropriation of urban black culture.

Neither Ice-T or Soulja Boy represent what I believed hip-hop to be. They are just trying to get some guy named Benny or Benjamin.

9. gasper

gasper TRIBE Member

Looks like this site crashed.

10. The Peej

The Peej TRIBE Member

ah yes, it appears it did. Shame, the song is fun. He rips Ice Tea.

11. zorak

zorak TRIBE Member

where was this?

12. djglobalkiller

djglobalkiller TRIBE Promoter

i cant stand when they use the saying REAL TALK fuckin just say what you mean with some sort of passion, without delcaring that you need to have this moment be recognised as a passionate opinionated statement!

13. why not

why not TRIBE Member

circa.

i suspect that a large number of people there were industry people on guestlist, and pseudo-thugs who are rich enough to afford the high-priced tickets.

i was amused by the spectacle, but had much more fun listening to live jazz at the rex afterwards.
    does that mean i'm an old man now?
    at least my date was young.

14. zorak

zorak TRIBE Member

yikes...tough crowd. it'd be cool to see him in such a small venue though (small compared to the ACC).

50 pwns solja boy. pretty much everyone pwns solja boy. ja rule pwns him, nelly pwns him, obviously all of cash money records pwns him, even lil romeo pwns him.

15. Flashy_McFlash

16. why not

why not TRIBE Member

i thought i would be fun too, but it was mainly funny (in a bad way).

dude was totally whining at the audience for being so quiet and stiff.

i think soulja boy is borderline retarded, but i would totally go see him if he came to town, and i suspect it would be much more fun than 50 cent.

then again, it's completely possible i just defend him to piss off the "hip-hop is dead" crowd.
    because they are lame.

17. zorak

zorak TRIBE Member

true, that broad does not pwn him.

18. Flashy_McFlash

It might just be that track though. I mean, she is 12 and has some kinda flow.

19. zorak

zorak TRIBE Member

good point flashy. let's just call that one a wash.

why not, i can't agree with you re: soulja boy being more entertaining than 50 cent. soulja boy is an amateur, and his shtick is mad played after about 1 second.
    also, in the case of "50 cent versus boring ass circa crowd", i'm going to have to side with 50 cent.

20. spaboy

spaboy TRIBE Member

My lipgloss be poppin!

21. why not

why not TRIBE Member

if we forget for a second any questions about talent, i still say that soulja boy would be more fun live.
    you just know the place would be packed full of kids going crazy, and that people would actually be dancing (instead of a bunch of guys pretending to be too tough to even put their hands in the air, let alone move their asses or applaud).

and while the circa crowd was partially to blame, fiddy kept comparing them to the hard to impress NYC crowd, and considering that, i expect him to have the confidence to persevere through it and try to win them over.
    he didn't.
    (of course none of this matters because Lil Wayne is the man this year)

22. Hal-9000

Hal-9000 TRIBE Member

If 50 wants a live crowd, how about not pricing your audience out of your shows. $100 is a bit much, if you're not doing Kanye-level staging.

23. why not

why not TRIBE Member

haha, ice t apologises (sort of):

24. TRO

TRO TRIBE Member

word...

yea the show was bad from what I heard...

25. why not

why not TRIBE Member

back to the ice t vs soulja boy feud:

kanye west has chimed in:

Soulja boy is fresh ass hell and is actually the true meaning of what hip hop is sposed to be. He came from the hood, made his own beats, made up a new saying, new sound and a new dance with one song. He had all of America rapping this summer. If that ain't Hip Hop then what is? A bunch of wannabe keep it real rappers that ain't even relevant, recycling samples trying to act like it's 96 again and all they do is hate on new shit? Niggas always talk about the golden age but for a 13 year old kid, this is the golden age!!! That song was so dope cause everything he said had a hidden meaning... that's Nas level shit... he just put it over some steel drums which is also some Nas shit if you had the 2nd album cassette with the bonus track "Silent Murder" on it. In closing... new niggas get ya money$$$$$$$$$$ Keep this shit fresh and original.... ain't no fuckin' rules to this shit and that's what real hip hop is to me

http://www.kanyeuniversecity.com/blog/?em3106=196345_-1__0_~0_-1_6_2008_0_0&em3161=&em3281=

and yes, i am getting these stupid updates from perez hilton. what a weird time 2008 is.